IOS to Android - I've been converted

?

Will Apple pull anything out of the bag this year?

1. you're joking right?

28.6%
  2. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no...

71.4%
  1. RS200
    Donut Aug 7, 2014

RS200 , Aug 7, 2014 :
    This isn't a review but i will cover some aspects of the phone.

I recently received my Oneplus one. i bought it from china as I'm pretty impatient. (that also means no invites to share unfortunately)

i was worried about converting to android because I've been an IOS slave for about 4 years now. I'm sure many of you out there are completely happy with your iTunes and iCloud setup. you have probably just got everything working seemlessly and the thought of branching out to another OS is tiring and i completely understand.

i was driven to make the switch because my personal opinion of apple is that they would just be playing catch up with the other flagship devices this year and since using my One it really put it into perspective just how far behind apple are.

When you use the One for a week going back to your iPhone 5 (in my case) was like going back to a nokia 3310. it just felt like the past. The 5S is only a stones through away so i imagine its just the same feeling.

Anyway, the Oneplus One....its incredible.
    its huge but you get over it in a days use.
    Cyanogenmod 11s is beautiful and its just nice to be able to customise everything.
    i mainly use my phone for instagram/facebook/pinterest and gaming so the display on the one is certainly an eye opener. when you go back to your old phone you will wonder how you ever played Need for speed most wanted on such a minuscule platform.

The camera i was a bit worried about due to the lack of image stabilisation but it performs brilliantly. Low light shots aren't great but the quality of daylight shots are amazing. 4K video is a real treat for the eyes as well and it's one of those quirks that will blow you friends minds. I don't think there was any need for the aqua/posterise/sepia filters anymore though...They are shit...i die a little inside when i see one used on social media.

Battery performance is as expected. Bigger battery for a bigger screen. I still find myself charging it every night and for some reason it does take quite a while to charge. From USB your looking at 2hours 30mins and for mains charging its around 2 hours.

The Aesthetics of the phone is what makes it special. Theres no gimmicks its just expertly crafted. I'm a graphic designer by day and the famous quote goes - "good design is not when theres nothing more to add its when theres nothing left to take away" and this sums it up nicely. Apple claim to be the leaders of great design and i agree they have made stunning devices in the past but fingerprint scanners? gold versions? phone cases that cover up half the text on the back of the 5C? a chassis the ruined phone signal? they seem to have stumbled off the path with phone design.

as i said not really a review but an overall opinion of initial impressions. i hope your'e all excited to receive your opo's! you should be. it's ******* epic.

CarDusan, JCMirvson, msg125 and 4 others like this.
  2. Clint Bond
    Eclair Aug 7, 2014

3. Fun_Ambulista
    Eclair Aug 7, 2014

4. alQamar
    Froyo Aug 7, 2014

alQamar , Aug 7, 2014 :
    I too come from 6 years of (jailbroken) iPhone and i love having made the switch.

5. mrhappysad
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2014

mrhappysad , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Sounds like one happy customer!! :) So glad you gave Android a chance and that you didn't opt for a Samsung. I think Sammy just has too many bloatware and believe it or not, many extraneous features that we don't need.

6. quza
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2014

7. ualman

ualman , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Don't have an OPO (yet), but I do like my HTC One M8.
    Then again, I still like my iPhone 5 as well.
    The variation works for me.

8. swiftb12305
    Honeycomb Aug 7, 2014

swiftb12305 , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Only thing apple can pull out of the bag is something android has already had,apple takes old features add a cool name and call it new lol

dickson.matt likes this.
  9. Elas
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2014

Elas , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Great review as i was considering an apple product before learning about OPO, apple need to hurry up and get their shit together... Shiny phones don't impress anymore !

10. gmgriffin
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2014

gmgriffin , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Thanks for sharing.

11. AeroHil
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2014

12. cr0ss
    Honeycomb Aug 7, 2014

13. spencer1620

14. Dandroid534

Dandroid534 , Aug 7, 2014 :
    same, although i bought a tronsmart s89 tv box as my first android device, then an £18 chinese tablet, and now this phone. Android is so much better than iOS

15. YordiLorenzo
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2014

YordiLorenzo , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Thnx for sharing! iPhone user myself and can't wait to use my One. iPhones are behind on hardware as well on software at some aspects. Enjoy your phone :)

16. RS200
    Donut Aug 7, 2014

RS200 , Aug 7, 2014 :
    That is the best group of pixels on the internet....

JCMirvson likes this.
  17. Draven2000
    Froyo Aug 7, 2014

Draven2000 , Aug 7, 2014 :
    I've had every single version of the iPhone, so I know where you're coming from. I never thought I would be able to switch to Android (believe me, I've tried). It was always just a little laggy, just a little buggy, etc. At least, that is, till KitKat. Whoa, baby! It's all that and a side of fries now! Add the ice cream sundae that is the OnePlus One, and you've got the total meal! If Apple wants me back, they're really going to have to step up their game. I'm not sure they can.

18. tyronejones
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2014

tyronejones , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Welcome to the dark side! :p

Thanks for sharing! This is interesting for me because I've been an Android user for the past 4 years and have never had an iPhone. That being said, now that the 6 is coming out soon with a bigger screen, I'm very interested to see how it will be. It's not that I have any problems with Android, but it's more of just trying something new. Perhaps I'll have both I can switch between. :)

19. Draven2000
    Froyo Aug 7, 2014

Draven2000 , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Tyrone, that's what I did. I had an iPhone 5S and a Nexus 5, and would switch back and forth between the two. However, I found myself staying longer and longer each time I switched to the Nexus. I really liked the control I had over everything as opposed to iOS.

20. chrisb242
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2014