Is a new phone worth such a time consuming 'torture'?

1. Dimitris911
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

Dimitris911 , Sep 4, 2014 :
    Hi all,

I am new to the Oneplus frenzy and I must say that after 4 days of continuous efforts, I started having my doubts.

I do acknowledge that this is a brilliant marketing strategy but that's a compliment for Oneplus. What about us?

I find myself aimlessly wondering around threads, succumbing to meaningless challenges from unknowns and donating my social media accounts just to compete among thousands of other people who just want the same thing as me; a new phone.

Now I wouldn't get into all this fuss, if I really didn't need a new smartphone. I have my old one (S2) for almost four years and it is just not reliable for my work any more.

So my question to you guys is; how far would you go to find an invitation? Are you professionally or socially underachieving constantly linked on the Oneplus pages?

Also, while you keep trying to get hold of an invite, are you also thinking to buy another, not so overpriced, smartphone (i.e. LG G3, etc) or are you waiting to see if Oneplus scraps the invite system in October and directly make the purchase.

I have this fear that I will feel a bit dumb about myself by the time I acquire a Oneplus.

Many thanks in advance for any response.

Best,

d

prashantgawande, bds87 and ewesg78 like this.
  2. Ahaboulnasr
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

Ahaboulnasr , Sep 4, 2014 :
    Honestly it's the best marketing strategy i ever saw I owned s5 and waiting for the note 4 but still want an opo

3. Dimitris911
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

a
    agreed! but is it worth your time and energy? there should be a price tag on that as well

4. Khiu
    Eclair Sep 4, 2014

Khiu , Sep 4, 2014 :
    It's annoying me more and more too, there's little more you can do than be very fast or lucky on the forums. All the lists will probably take too long and have no use anymore because it's almost October.
    I highly doubt I'll buy the phone in October, I'm expecting a very long waiting list.

5. jksN
    Froyo Sep 4, 2014

jksN , Sep 4, 2014 :
    well if you compare to the note4 the OPO actually is cheap. I would say the time and energy you put in to get a good phone for a good amount of money is worth it.

6. ewesg78
    Froyo Sep 4, 2014

ewesg78 , Sep 4, 2014 :
    Invite or no this forum can be ridiculous fun sometimes. I think I'm just in here to be here. If an invite comes so be it. I have T-Mobile. They aren't the best in network but their jump system and plan pricing is my easiest way to get a new phone at half price. Ultimately I think I'm waiting for the next Nexus. I love my N5.

7. eyalito
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

eyalito , Sep 4, 2014 :
    It is not simply a marketing strategy, but a response to the unbalanced demand-supply situation (you can read more on this in the Announcements forum.
    Yes, it may be annoying but until there is a better solution, you have to go the extra mile to get it (if you really want it).

From my experience so far with the device, it is well worth the wait and price (was waiting patiently, but actively on the forums, for about 2 months).

Dimitris911 likes this.
  8. FreddyK
    Donut Sep 4, 2014

FreddyK , Sep 4, 2014 :
    It definitely is. There is a law in EU that allows you to install any operating system on a device you buy. But still all the big players lock down their boot loaders and void the warrenty (illegally, but are you going to court over a d**n phone?) if you make use of this right.
    So if there is one company that does not do that, than hell I'm waiting as long as it takes to get one of their phones.

Dimitris911 likes this.
  9. xf4d3
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 4, 2014

xf4d3 , Sep 4, 2014 :
    You dont have to spend time in the forum to get an invite.
    All you have to do is check your email and wait for your turn.

10. Dimitris911
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

so you are saying I don't need to keep asking for invites? I have this feeling that I do

11. xf4d3
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 4, 2014

xf4d3 , Sep 4, 2014 :
    You might get lucky and get an invite earlier, but eventually you will get one by your member number.

Dimitris911 likes this.
  12. eyalito
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

eyalito , Sep 4, 2014 :
    And by positively contributing to discussions, rather than just ask/beg for invites, you increase the probability of getting lucky :)

xf4d3 and Dimitris911 like this.
  13. Dimitris911
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

oh but I am, but that is taking time as well :)

14. eyalito
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

eyalito , Sep 4, 2014 :
    Indeed taking time. With full-time work and a kid at home, I spent here (and continue to spend) 2 months before earning my invite.

Dimitris911 likes this.
  15. MSameer
    Froyo Sep 4, 2014

MSameer , Sep 4, 2014 :
    I would not call it torture. That's a bit extreme IMHO given that it's just a phone.

I have personally seen 3 ways to get an invite:
    - Be patient and wait (Not sure for how long)
    - Keep refreshing the invites forum and be fast (Maybe not fair but it is what it is).
    - Have a seat, enjoy your cup of favorite drink and relax.

I am sure the issue is not entirely marketing. New startups have problems which is expected and such problems also cover manufacturing as well. A factory has a capacity as well as suppliers. Screen suppliers for example might favor Samsung over One plus just because Samsung is a well established company while One plus is a fairly new one.

I have been working in the mobile phones industry for the past 7 years so I guess I know what I am talking about :)

I am personally giving it until the nexus 6 gets announced. If it's not too much expensive compared to the OPO then I will go for it. You can flame me as you want for that but the reality is: I have personally never held an Android phone and the only way I know to contribute is by writing software and fixing bugs in the OS. If I cannot do that because I don't have an Android then there is nothing I can do :(

eyalito, Dimitris911 and bds87 like this.
  16. Deactivated User
    Sep 4, 2014

17. Swede1
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

Swede1 , Sep 4, 2014 :
    I'd say it's a waste of time, just buy a phone that is available, personally I rather pay more for my device and get it when I want it, not when the company thinks I should get it or maybe get lucky in some stupid giveaway, I also rather pay more to get good customer support, I don't want to run the risk of getting a faulty unit ( yellow tint screen for example ) and not be able to return it.

18. Ahaboulnasr
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

Ahaboulnasr , Sep 4, 2014 :
    I only come here on my spare time when I have nothin to do

Dimitris911 likes this.
  19. maxu007
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

20. pnidamarty
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

pnidamarty , Sep 4, 2014 :