is anyone beginning to notice image ghosting or burn-in?

1. KirkH420
    Donut Aug 25, 2019

KirkH420 , Aug 25, 2019 :
    i use the google keyboard and I am beginning to notice the "G" button is leaving a Ghosted Image on my screen. I remember the Google Pixel 2 XL had a lot of problems with it and they had to extend warranty for a 2nd year on their phones. I also have an old LG V20 which never had screen burn problems but then last year in 18 there was an update from android 7 to android 8.0. After I applied the update is when my v20 began to have Image Ghosting. Usually, if the screen was left off for a while, it would go away. Point is........sometimes changes made during updates can cause this.

Has anyone else noticed any Image Ghosting or Burn-in? Pay close attention to where your keyboard is, if you are someone who texts often and/uses they keyboard for other activities, this seems to be a common place to see it.

Also, if you DO notice it.....
    Is this new? Because I only began noticing this as of recent. Could this be a result of a change during an update?

2. igen
    Gingerbread Aug 25, 2019

3. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 25, 2019

Starcommander likes this.
  4. KirkH420
    Donut Aug 25, 2019

KirkH420 , Aug 25, 2019 :
    I attempted pictures, however it was nearly impossible to see within the photographs unless you already knew what for and where you were looking.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019

5. byLeadX
    Donut Aug 26, 2019

byLeadX , Aug 26, 2019 :
    I've looked it up on the internet, and it looks like it's "normal".
    The OP7 has an AMOLED display. And OLED displays are easily burned.

"Ghost image or screen burn-in are names given to a permanent discoloration of your smartphone’s screen caused by irregular pixel usage. The prolonged use of static images can create a permanent shadow or ghost of that image on the screen. This problem is more common than you think, and happens most often on AMOLED screens"
    Source : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidpit.com/how-to-fix-screen-burn-in?amp=true

On the website they say there is some app that might fix it. Give it a try. Even tho I don't think that'll fix it.

6. KirkH420
    Donut Aug 26, 2019

KirkH420 , Aug 26, 2019 :
    I will look into it thank you. I've paid the $199 extra for the OnePlus' 2 year device protection and extended factory warranty by one year. I was hoping not to need to use the warranty so soon, as I just got this phone 2 months ago. I really hope that OnePlus is more professional than Google's service because Google will replace your BRAND NEW device with a "refurbished" one. Which, if you ask me, seems incredibly unfair when a person just paid full price for a new one. (Plus: google was sending malfunctioning refurbished devices with Locked Bootloaders, to people who ordered the Unlockable device for testing/development purposes....and they would do nothing to fix it besides send another Refurb.) So lets just say: I am not too excited, albeit curious, about the potential for a warranty claim this early.

slufoot69 likes this.
  7. igen
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2019

igen , Aug 28, 2019 :
    Nope burn-in is not normal. AMOLED displays are prone to burn-in but any good quality panel won't atleast not within the first year of purchase. My 3 year old OP3 has no such issue neither should OPs OP7.

KirkH420 likes this.
  8. byLeadX
    Donut Aug 28, 2019

byLeadX , Aug 28, 2019 :
    The OP3 has a LCD display. And LCD rarely burn-in. So I'm pretty sure, even in 5 years, you won't have any burn-in

I didn't say it was normal and the OP should be OK with it. I meant that AMOLED are easily burned-in. Thus the quotes. Maybe he's got a faulty display? That can, unfortunately, happen sometimes.

9. igen
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2019

igen , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Oneplus 3 has AMOLED display.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/10411/the-oneplus-3-review/4

And what I am saying is AMOLED displays on mobile phones are not easily burned it. It is still an issue on large panels of televisions that remain on almost all day but is rare in mobile phones now. Yes op probably got a faulty display.

10. Galsuser
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019

KirkH420 likes this.
  11. byLeadX
    Donut Aug 29, 2019

byLeadX , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Well I didn't know. I thought that AMOLED on OnePlus phones started at the 6.
    The more you know!

12. KirkH420
    Donut Aug 29, 2019

KirkH420 , Aug 29, 2019 :
    well sir...
    it is definitely there.
    any time I have a bright color screen, white is the worst.....
    i see the Google Keyboard burned into my screen.

The first thing I see is the "G" button,
    if you use Gboard, then you know what I mean.

......then i look closer and can see EVERY letter on the Gboard Keyboard also burned into my screen. The letters are less noticeable but they are there.

I wish I could get a camera to focus in and take a pic.
    I tried
    The photos are too difficult for anyone to see what I am talking about.

13. KirkH420
    Donut Aug 29, 2019

as far as the issue being solved.....

i did download a couple different apps which claim to be AMOLED burn-in repair.

I messed around with them but the one that was recommended to me, it wants me to start the program and leave the phone for 12 hours. I have not yet been able to do that part. I was able to run some color tests and the burn-in is definitely there.

14. KirkH420
    Donut Aug 29, 2019

Thanks to everyone for being involved in this thread, I really appreciate that you care enough to consider the issue i am having. It sucks and the more I think about it, the more it seems like I will need to Warranty this device.

15. slufoot69
    Donut Sep 2, 2019

slufoot69 , Sep 2, 2019 :

If I remember right you can only use the insurance for 2 claims. So be mindful of the that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

16. KirkH420
    Donut Sep 7, 2019

KirkH420 , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Im not sure, but i will definitely keep that in mind.

but burn in SHOULD be warranty.

I hope.

slufoot69 likes this.
  17. J1558887630370
    Donut Sep 9, 2019

J1558887630370 , Sep 9, 2019 :
    Even a dark theme doesn't do anything to the bright white G on the keyboard. What do you have the brightness set to? I can't imagine how much you have to type for the G to be burned in. :)

18. KirkH420
    Donut Sep 9, 2019

KirkH420 , Sep 9, 2019 :
    I don't think any of that matters at all. It also doesnt answer the OP. A burned in screen is a burned in screen.