Is AOD still coming?

1. Chipper1
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

Chipper1 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    I read a while ago that OnePlus were working on adding AOD to their 7 Series phones but it's still not here?

I know it lights up when you pick the phone up. Or even when you tap the screen but what about whilst sat on a holder on charge next to your bed? if you wake up in the night and look to know the time it would be handy for Always on Display to be on to show me at a glance the time and any important notifications without having to move and tap the screen.

Anyway if for whatever reason they can't get the battery life to play ball with AOD (Don't see why not as a lot of other makers have managed it) Why not meet down the middle and at least be allowed to have AOD whilst the phone is charging?

2. CMX35
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

Yunusrg likes this.
  3. Chipper1
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

Yes that's one. I've seen in other threads with people being quiet rude saying well don't buy a OnePlus phone, no other OnePlus phones had it blah blah. I would say there is only more hype around AOD since OnePlus confirmed they are working on it. It's a popular feature. That plus no wireless charging are keeping me from using OnePlus as my daily.

kartikg22 likes this.
  4. CMX35
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

CMX35 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    Yep! AOD is the most requested feature missing from OnePlus. I don't know why it is so hard to do it. Maybe OnePlus should hire someone from Oppo to implement that, because even Reno 2 has it.

5. Chipper1
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

I seem to of read somewhere they are trying to do it but also optimise battery life. Then give users the option like other makers of having AOD on or off just as it is now.

For users like me that's not normally all that far from charging up then I personally wouldn't care less even if it meant loosing an extra 10% of battery a day. with how fast phones charge now it really shouldn't be an issue.

Again users can just turn it off if it's not for them or they need the battery to last that little longer.

Yunusrg, AsifurRahaman and Sykora like this.
  6. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Dec 12, 2019

Bouncer71 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    Question...

Why Always On Display if ½ of day the phone is in trouserpocket...???

7. CMX35
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

CMX35 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    For that other ½ of day;)

8. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Dec 12, 2019

Bouncer71 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    maybe ¼...
    or do you never sleep... ;)

Sumedh_Nadgir and CMX35 like this.
  9. CMX35
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

CMX35 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    Haha. Touché:D

Schedule is usually option with AOD

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019

Yunusrg and Bouncer71 like this.
  10. Chipper1
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

My phone isn't in my pocket anywhere near half the day. It's sat on my phone stand at work, on my car holder in my car and at home it's anywhere I am not in my pocket. When I'm out in the evening having a meal the phone is on the table. I would say my phone is in my pocket for 30 mins at most during a normal day.

Yunusrg and Bouncer71 like this.
  11. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Dec 12, 2019

Madnezz4Ever , Dec 12, 2019 :
    No one here is gonna know if it's coming or not and more then likely it's not coming as it would of already by now.

12. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Dec 12, 2019

How is telling the truth rude?

They also never confirmed it was coming either.
    They said they were working on battery optimization before even considering it.

Considering it doesn't mean it's coming or working on it.

13. malidan
    Nougat Dec 12, 2019

malidan , Dec 12, 2019 :
    The supposed best Android OS does not have AOD years after it came to market. Something just doesn't sound quite right there does it? :rolleyes:

14. Chipper1
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

So just because your requesting a feature means you shouldn't of bought the phone in the first place? I thought OnePlus prides itself in listening to the community? In which case telling someone they shouldn't of bought a OnePlus phone because they are requesting a feature is rude.

My daily driver Samsung Note 10+ is missing some features I like does that mean I shouldn't buy that too then?

I don't use my OnePlus as my daily driver because it's missing some features I make use of that other phones have. So I'm simply asking is this still coming or not.

15. Chipper1
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

It's more to do with the Manufacturers rather than android. I had a Windows phone years ago that had an AOD yet OnePlus can't seem to do it in 2019 When just about every phone maker does it. I just don't understand that's all.

Yunusrg likes this.
  16. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Dec 12, 2019

Chipper1

So just because your requesting a feature means you shouldn't of bought the phone in the first place? I thought OnePlus prides itself in listening to the community? In which case telling someone they shouldn't of bought a OnePlus phone because they are requesting a feature is rude.

My daily driver Samsung Note 10+ is missing some features I like does that mean I shouldn't buy that too then?

I don't use my OnePlus as my daily driver because it's missing some features I make use of that other phones have. So I'm simply asking is this still coming or not.​

You should know the features of your phone before buying it.

So who exactly should they listen to when not everyone wants the same features?

If they listen to everyone, then the phone would be full of bloatware and out dated hardware.

Again no one here knows as no one here is from OnePlus as it's a user only forum.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019

17. Chipper1
    Eclair Dec 12, 2019

I knew it didn't have AOD before buying it. But again aren't users allowed to request features?

I'm guessing you've never owed a phone with AOD? it's not bloatware it's a simple option in the settings menu. On, Off or tap to wake (Like you have now) just one extra option in there that's all. So again if you don't want it then it won't be any different then what you have now.

Don't be silly they aren't going to add every little feature that one or two people think are a good idea. But if you do a little research online and in these forums I think you'll find there are more than just a few people that would like to see this feature.

Yunusrg and Sykora like this.
  18. malidan
    Nougat Dec 12, 2019

malidan , Dec 12, 2019 :
    AOD is pretty much an industry standard now from the mid-ranged upwards, nobody asked for Zen mode but it's there and serves no purpose.

19. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Dec 12, 2019

Not when it's already been requested over and over again.

I've own Samsung before, so yeah I probably have had it.

I personally see no point in it as there is no reason to have your screen always on as it already makes noise and the screen already turns on.

I know they aren't.

I'm well aware of how many people want it.

20. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Dec 12, 2019

I wouldn't say nobody asked for it as people have and they have also asked for Digital Wellbeing.

And your right Zen Mode serves no purpose at least to me it doesn't as I'm not addicted to my phone.