Is clipboard content sold to alibaba? - Answer: No

1. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Jan 12, 2018

2. Topper_Gas Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2018

Topper_Gas, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Have you clicked the 'system apps' button to show all your phones apps, as there's no reason it's not installed on the latest beta.

3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Jan 12, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Jan 12, 2018 :
    those are "potential explanations" from AP. OnePlus is yet to come up with an official explanation.

besides, if the feature was indeed one without questionable intent, why have they decided to remove it?

all these things definitely puts a question mark on the company's credibility.

I use a password manager, and every time I copy a password, the clipboard app used to pop up. why shouldn't I not be bothered with it? I had since blocked internet access to the clipboard app and disabled it. but I am unsure if that is good enough.

hope OnePlus doesn't mess things up for itself by being stupid.

toruvinn likes this.
  4. PTuT Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 12, 2018

PTuT, Jan 12, 2018 :
    OP mentioned that it was planned for H2OS not for OOS. So, why in the first place they put or left it there in OOS? Is sounds like incompetence or some other dark reason. None of which is good. I applaud the user who discovered it. It pressed OP to put a statement which otherwise we would see.

5. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Jan 12, 2018

rarog, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Have you looked into the actual analysis at reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/7prvrj/i_looked_into_what_actually_is_being_sent_and/

There you can see what data is actually sent and coming back. And the best rated answer below explains the background of it. All this fuss is for restoring of TaoBao links that are censored by WeChat. It's a workaround for a problem that's only present in China. And it does make sense to have it there in H2OS.

Yes, the fact that an app from H2OS slipped into a public OOS build is really dumb and questionable, as it shows bad quality control. But otherwise I don't see really bad signs after reading the analysis of the behaviour.

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Jan 12, 2018

this seems more like an 'intentional' mistake.

the question is: why wasn't the user informed or his permission sought before something of this nature was made operational in his device?

I'm sure many users in China and elsewhere, wherever this supposed feature is helpful, would have problems if their clipboard data was being routed through a 3rd party server without their knowledge.

all this fuss and complaints are primarily because there is a lack of transparency in the way OnePlus is conducting some of it's affairs. and when an outsider picks up things like this, it raises even more questions.

7. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Jan 12, 2018

rarog, Jan 12, 2018 :
    1) You are paranoid, if you think this is intentional.
    2) Many users in China don't care about privacy as they grew up in a state, where the state knows everything. There is practically no privacy and the people don't care, just read about concept of WeChat or what the government is planing - the system with credit points for good behaviour.
    3) Not all the data is routed through 3rd party server. What was shown is that the server is used as a server to restore TaoBao links and offer those to the user.

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Jan 12, 2018

1. may be. but it wouldn't have been that way if things like these come from the company itself.
    2. it isn't about them not caring. they have fewer choices to protect their Privacy.
    3. you have put full trust on that reddit user and the analysis given by him. hopefully he is right.

OnePlus needs to act more responsibly and carefully, since it is catering to a global market.

9. Topper_Gas Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2018

Topper_Gas, Jan 12, 2018 :
    You don't have to put faith in the Reddit user as all you need to do is disabled the app and also block internet access, if you are really paranoid you can delete the app or even move to the stable build.

It looks like OP made an error including the new Clipboard, although why they bothered including anyway was always baffling.

10. Tiwi1990 Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 12, 2018

Tiwi1990, Jan 12, 2018 :
    The answer is yes, and they said that will remove this app in the next update

11. izzykasha KitKat Jan 12, 2018

izzykasha, Jan 12, 2018 :
    This was in a beta software release not official OTA updates

For most people they dont install the beta’s they just use their phones, if you havent been flashing betas to your phone I suggest you are as safe as you can be with an electronically device constantly attached to the internet on a platform known for being easily hacked and easily abused by sideloaded software.

Don’t lose too much sleep over it

12. mevicks Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 13, 2018

mevicks, Jan 13, 2018 :

Ok. Another one. Its high time that OP stops providing responses in the hindsight to these privacy concerns. Better yet instead of adding useless features (like the notes app) why dont you guys (OP) take a cleanup drive and clean up the privacy act pro actively?

13. v1nc Donut Jan 16, 2018

v1nc, Jan 16, 2018 :
    Thanks to OnePlus for the fast response. I never thought that something will happen after I post this here. I received a new ota today, so I will check the traffic of the clipboard app again and edit the main post here.

If you want to prevent something like this, create a firewall via local VPN with apps like NetGuard. You can block the traffic of all (system-)apps without the need to root your device.

14. Anandu p Gingerbread Jan 16, 2018

15. v1nc Donut Jan 16, 2018

16. Anandu p Gingerbread Jan 16, 2018

17. v1nc Donut Jan 16, 2018

v1nc, Jan 16, 2018 :
    Oh okay now I see it ^^
    Idk if you can use old cm themes, but substratum should work.

18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Jan 16, 2018

19. Anandu p Gingerbread Jan 16, 2018

Anandu p, Jan 16, 2018 :
    How to do that?

20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Jan 16, 2018