Is it advisable to not charge until 100%? via OnePlus 8

1. Rama_pada
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2021

Rama_pada , via OnePlus 8 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    What would happen if we charge to 100% everytime we charge the mobile? Would it affect the battery after many cycles of usage?

If yes, what would be the optimum percentage of charge where we have to disconnect the power cord from the device?

2. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Oct 14, 2021

camohan , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Hi there, there is no established proven method to charge the mobile device. Charge it as and when you need. There is no optimum percentage.

The modern devices have optimized charging feature, which does the analysis of users behavior patterns and adjusts the charging mechanism.

Again there is no objective measurement of improvement or depreciation of charging cycles of a battery.

So, make sure to use original charging adaptor and cable, avoid having erratic charging pattern and enjoy the device.

Cheers.

Dresa91, Artemus and dom_k like this.
  3. Rama_pada
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2021

I don't believe you have understood my assertion!!!

If you are using a one plus mobile, when it is docked with power going in, after 80% of achieving power, it will stop right there. It will not allow the device to charge more.

I've seen 90% also at times.

How is this determined? Is it not good to charge the device until 100%, is what I'm looking for!

4. Rama_pada
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2021

5. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Oct 14, 2021

ghostofcain , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Constant charging and discharging a battery wil obviously affect its capacity to hold charge, that's a fact.

Battery gurus will tell you to prolong battery life you should never charge above 80% or allow it to drop below 20%, that means restricting your battery life to 60% of potential capacity. Abusing your battery by charging over night will apparently reduce battery life over two years by as much as 20%, thus people doing that will still have available 20% more battery capacity, after two years, than the mugs following the gurus advice.

So I say charge it as you wish

6. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Oct 14, 2021

camohan , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Hi there, this is your question
    Is it not good to charge the device until 100%

My answer - there is no such thing, you can charge the device upto 100%. There are no established studies that confirm that not charging the device upto 100% will increase battery cycle or otherwise.

Just charge the device as you like.

Artemus and dom_k like this.
  7. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Oct 14, 2021

ghostofcain , Oct 14, 2021 :
    I too failed to realise you where talking about using your device whilst charging, it's almost like it was missing from the OP. HEAT is the enemy of battery life, to avoid excess heat whilst charging it's best to avoid using your device if possible. To further protect battery life fast charging stops at around 80%, if you are using your device I suspect that is what you are seeing and slow charging, may, barely be keeping pace with consumption.

Rama_pada likes this.
  8. Rama_pada
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2021

Yes this is what I'm looking for!

Well in a way it doesn't slow up the charge but I'm just curious to understand why it stops at 80%

9. dom_k
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Oct 14, 2021

dom_k , Oct 14, 2021 :
    I think the best way to battery stay long and healthy is to avoid drop below 20% and not charging it after heavy using (phone is hot) - easy fix, put it into the fridge for few minutes. These two things have biggest affect on battery health and it's easy to comply them.