Is it safe to use xiaomi 16000mAh power bank with OP2

1. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Dec 20, 2015

charanchakravarthi , Dec 20, 2015 :
    Now that we know there is a compatibility issue with the OP2 data cable and other accessories, is it safe to use OP2 with the xiaomi 16000 mah power bank. I can see that both OP2 power connector and the xiaomi power bank work at 5v and 2 amps power rating. And the missing resistor on OP2 cable will tend to draw more current if used with a higher power rated equipment.

However since we have an acknowledgement from oneplus that their cables are not according to the standard specification and are not safe to be used with third party accessories, I am still skeptical using this combination or any third party accessory would ruin the phone than both of them.

Any insight on this is much appreciated. Also I think oneplus has not agreed specifically to change the cables or the new ones to satisfy the spec. Which means any new ones we buy would also have the same problem.

2. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Dec 20, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Dec 20, 2015 :
    Technically, it should be compatible, but if I were you, I would look through the threads to confirm that the bank worked well with OP2.

3. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Dec 20, 2015

Yeah.. That was the whole intent of this thread. I tried looking for a while and nothing came up. Let's see if we get some good answers.

veratoloz2005 likes this.
  4. ButterFlYnez
    Jelly Bean Dec 20, 2015

ButterFlYnez , Dec 20, 2015 :
    I'm wondering the same. I think if we use the cable that comes with the op2 we should be fine, but I'm not sure enough to gamble on it :oops:

charanchakravarthi likes this.
  5. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Dec 20, 2015

OK so you are in the same state as I am.!! I am concerned because when charging with the power bank I can get full charge in less than an hour, worst case 45 mins. It's like my phone is doped. So am I inline for a blown phone!! That is the million dollar question.

Or may be the charge circuitry changed to a quick charge circuitry when I use xiaomi power bank. Hahaha!! :p or May be it's the shrooms...

6. lucifercipher
    Froyo Dec 20, 2015

lucifercipher , Dec 20, 2015 :
    You can use any power bank as long as the voltage & current is not over rated. Xiamo power banks provide good stable values on both Amps and Volts too. Be sure to check how much Voltage and Current (Amps) are written on the power bank. If its a little less thae its ok to use. It shouldn't be higher or you will be crossing the danger line in 30 seconds.

Edit: You must not use the OnePlus cable as its only suited for the stock charger.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

iPusak Gaoq™ likes this.
  7. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 20, 2015

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    provably not with the shitty OP cable. As the xiaomi power bank might not be CE therefore, not forced to meet the safety standards that would limit the cable for its lack of resistor.

8. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    LOL what? have you been living under a rock? go read a bit about the OPT cable and it's lack of proper resistors to identify itself... using ANY power source BUT the one provided by OPT might end up in electrical fire...

IvanMuse and charanchakravarthi like this.
  9. lucifercipher
    Froyo Dec 20, 2015

lucifercipher , Dec 20, 2015 :
    It was the charger issue/concern. The cables dont use any components such as resistors or capacitors. And no i haven't been living in a rock, have you ever heard of anyone saying that cables come with components? There is not a single appliance on the planet that uses those as factory standard. True the RF cables come with Flux reducers but the post is focused on current and voltage not audio/video signalling.

10. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    No, you are NOT fine with the cable that came with OPT just because it came with OPT. The issue here is that the cable from OP does not identify itself properly with power sources, SINCE the OPT came with it's own brick, the cable does not matter as the brick works as OPT needs. But ANY other power source is not safe unless it actually has the appropiate CE standards. Event then I would not gamble, as you can not trust chienese tech to actually be meeting those standards...

11. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    LOL WHAT? the cables DO USE resistors, go read a bit more if you are not under a rock... That is the WHOLE issue with the cable... that it's using a 10ohm instead of a 56 one. THE CABLE.

Making chargers that don't have smart enough electronics to output incorrect voltage.

EDIT:

“Recently it has come to our attention that two of our products, the OnePlus Type-C cable and the OnePlus USB Type-C adapter, are using a resistor that may not be fully compatible with some third-party devices. Please rest assured that this cable and adapter are safe to use with the OnePlus 2.” – OnePlus’ Carl Pei

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

veratoloz2005 likes this.
  12. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Dec 20, 2015

I know it's the data cable that is out of spec and not the charger. Thats what made non op2 users buy them and use it with other non oneplus components. Then after the Google Engineer highlighted this anomaly, oneplus acknowledged it. It was never about the charger.

13. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    @charanchakravarthi to add to my previous reply, you SHOULD be fine if you use a PROPER type-C cable. Go search for the reviews of that engineer we all know about and pick one that he has rated as correct, I remember seeing one for just 7 bucks, so, it should be fine. It won't charge as fast tho, as it will be pulling the proper voltage for the resistor in the cable. BUT in the bright side, you won't be burning the power bank either.

All of that is assuming that the power bank does not actually have proper electronics to prevent the issues caused by the OP cable.

14. lucifercipher
    Froyo Dec 20, 2015

15. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Dec 20, 2015

I remember that the threat given by oneplus was the third party component and not the phone itself. They acknowledged that since the cable was missing a pull down resistor, if it is used for elements that draw more power than what the source can supply then the cable will allow it, which might cause the component or non oneplus equipment to go faulty. However my concern is that the phone charges pretty quickly with the power bank and I fear using it frequently will damage the phone or specifically the battery.

16. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    Just get a proper cable. It will set the limit to the proper current flow. Or make sure the Power Bank actually has the self-regulation mechanism that meets the chart provided here:

[​IMG]

I would not bet in "partially" I do not trust OP one bit. and obviously the "not guaranteed" does mean you are actually making on of those 2 devices die. Even when they word ir "pretty" and just say that it "may" ... there's no "may" if something is working at it's non optimal capacity, you are breaking it.

17. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    could you read better? it's there in my own message that I edited a while ago already...

Or you could stop being an smartass asking people to demostrate stuff that you clarely do not know about and use google for once.

IvanMuse and lucifercipher like this.
  18. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Dec 20, 2015

[​IMG]
    At the end of the original thread by Carl we can see that he had quoted that new cables with the proper 56k resistor are in production so may be the new 1.5 m and 1 meter cables are the ones with the correct resistor.

19. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 20, 2015 :
    I doubt that proper cables are already produced and being sold.
    New cables will follow the standard? yes, good for them, we still got the faulty ones. And I for sure won't pay 10$ for a cable produced in this crappy company that took 2 weeks to aknowledge their own fault.

20. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Dec 20, 2015

I am loosing my likes for Oneplus as well. I had high regards and now the poor battery life, faulty cables and no Clear road map makes me feel that I acted too fast, dumping apple.