Z1574084206589 likes this.
  2. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2020

3. xnutzii
    Lollipop Feb 21, 2020

4. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 21, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 21, 2020 :
    For me, it depends on the stock ROM. As long as it doesn't have a lot of useless crapware, and I can disable anything I find obnoxious without root, I typically don't bother rooting.

Rooting isn't a free ride. It comes with its own set of annoyances, especially when using banking apps, which often decide to vomit on rooted phones at the worst possible times.

The financial institutions I use most use the mobile apps as part of 2FA. If they barf on a rooted phone, it can be a huge bother to re-establish my identity because I can't log in over the Web, either. Plus if it gets flagged as attempted identity theft, my account access and all my cards are suspended, and I have to drive two hours with identity documents in hand to prove that I'm me before they unlock my account.

So basically, it comes down to the "annoyance quotient" of the stock ROM versus the potential annoyances of rooting. I have a few old phones that I root and play with for fun, but I'll only root a daily driver if I have a good reason.

OxygenOS is one of the cleaner Android implementations I've used, so I haven't bothered rooting. I only had to use ADB to disable Digital Wellness and Zen Mode, both of which I consider viruses, and haven't used it since. I was able to disable the rest of the stuff that's useless to my mission from the GUI. So for the foreseeable future, I don't think I'll be rooting my 7t.

If a future update takes away my ability to disable stuff that I consider useless garbage, however, then I'll root the phone.

Richard

Mj475, RistoEe, KeeBaud and 2 others like this.
  5. Varun1225
    Gingerbread Feb 21, 2020

Varun1225 , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Feb 21, 2020 :
    Thanks

6. Fabio.Mar
    Italian POC Assistant Head Moderator Feb 21, 2020

Fabio.Mar , Feb 21, 2020 :
    I think that is something more related to the Phone and the Brand, more than the year.
    Unlucky there are still so many phone that comes with bad optimized software and which find a solution in rooting the phone. Talking about Oneplus, i used to root the one and 2, but since the 3 i stopped because i didn't feel the needing because Oxygen started to be a really fluid and clean software.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.

9. Poison nu
    Donut Feb 21, 2020

Poison nu , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 21, 2020 :
    It's up to the consumer. Some people don't tinker the device and use it stock. I always unlock the bootloader as soon as i take my device out of the pack because unlocking bootloader erases every thing on your phone. Rooting doesn't erase data, you can magisk root your device by using custom recovery.