Is my screen digitizer damaged? A specific part of my screen will not register touch. See Pic..

1. Quickstrike03
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2016

Quickstrike03 , Jan 2, 2016 :
    [​IMG]

You can see in the picture above, when I used 'Yet Another MultiTouch Test': Paint Tester, my fingers touch was succesfully recognized [at random] across all the screen except the middle quadrant.

I used to be running the stock KitKat build that the OnePlus One shipped with. I just recently upgraded to Sultan's December 20th Lollipop Build last night, hoping it might somehow be related to the operating system.

I have had a 'Orzly - OnePlus ONE Tempered Glass' screen protector installed since day one.

If I look closely over the screens surface with a flashlight, I can not see any cracks or blemishes, besides some shallow swirl marks.

Should I try removing the Tempered Glass protector?

The problem I am having -- specific area of screen not responding to touch.. is this related to the screen digitizer?

How should I go about fixing this problem? Is installing a new digitizer my only option?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

-Quickstrike

2. DannyM93
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2016

DannyM93 , Jan 2, 2016 :
    Try flashing a different ROM on first. Go back to stock or use CM or something. If the problem persists, remove your screen protector. If you still have the issue, it may be that one of the wires in the ribbon that attaches your digitizer has failed.

Tobikage likes this.
  3. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Jan 2, 2016

Tobikage , Jan 2, 2016 :
    Yeah...pretty sure it is.

But You can try a different ROM preferably the Stock ROM so as to rule out software issues like
    @DannyM93 said above.

Tokolozi likes this.
  4. lostLambda
    Lollipop Jan 2, 2016

5. Quickstrike03
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2016

Quickstrike03 , Jan 2, 2016 :
    EDIT: Ugh.. Looks like I will have to go with the LCD Assembly + Digitizer. I don't have the proper tools & skills to solely replace the Digitizer.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

6. lostLambda
    Lollipop Jan 2, 2016

lostLambda , Jan 2, 2016 :
    This website will send to you all of the correct tools along with the replacement screen & Directions.

7. w33bion
    Honeycomb Jan 2, 2016

w33bion , Jan 2, 2016 :
    I had the same problem. So I requested a RMA and after 6 weeks, many messages with the support, flashing two ROMs and having a remote session I finally received a free replacement device.

8. nobelium76
    KitKat Jan 2, 2016

nobelium76 , Jan 2, 2016 :
    If you decide to go that route, and disassemble your OPO, try resetting the display cable/ribbon before ordering the new one. If the display gets cracked your entire screen is useless to touch. It could be a defective part or just needs the ribbon adjusted.