Is one plus still a flag ship killer?

1. Lam Vuong
    Donut Feb 23, 2020

2. harshil1903
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 23, 2020

harshil1903 , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 23, 2020 :
    So what did you expect?

Flagship specs at half price with no improvement at all? OnePlus is trying to build itself. I haven't seen the word "Flagship killer" since 3T ig because after that the OnePlus device themselves have become Flagships rather than Flagship killer

aditya srivastava likes this.
  3. Lam Vuong
    Donut Feb 24, 2020

Lam Vuong , Feb 24, 2020 :
    I don't expect anything less, just saying the pricing is not very competitive. If this was the case, I would go for the Samsung.

4. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Feb 24, 2020

Liehjan likes this.
  5. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Well... The 7T has a faster processor and 25 percent more RAM. On the other hand, the Samsung has wireless charging, which I personally dislike, but I'm in the minority on that. In any case, I guess we can call it a wash in terms of hardware cost. All else being equal (more or less), I would choose the faster SoC and the additional RAM over wireless charging that I'll never use. But that's just me.

In my own case, price really wasn't much of a factor in my decision. I spent six months researching this purchase. In the end, after I narrowed down my choices to about half a dozen (I'd started with hundreds), what sold me on the 7t was the relatively clean Android implementation, the relatively decent repairability (especially battery replacement) as judged by teardown videos and reviews, this forum, and XDA. It was the best overall match for my mission and preferences. Not perfect, but closest overall.

The Samsung S10 was also a finalist, but was eliminated due to dismal repairability once I watched a few teardown videos. I also don't care much for Samsung's pre-installed software, but that alone wouldn't have been a deal-killer. The LG G8 ThinQ was also eliminated for the same reasons. When a company seems to be going out of their way to make a phone difficult to work on, I walk away.

In the end, the 7t scored highest in the things I cared most about, namely raw power, good GNSS, repairability, and a relatively clean OS. But my research wasn't finished. I also scoured this forum and XDA for every defect people reported about the phone so I could test for those defects as soon as I received it. In other words, after researching the good, I researched the bad.

And then I placed my order.

In my case, I won the lottery and have had none of those problems (screen tinting, etc.), so I'm a happy man. I believe I made the right purchase; and the fact that the price was lower than some of the alternatives I'd considered was just the cherry on top of the ice cream. The only thing I hated about it (besides the usual Google crapware that I never use and disable immediately) was Zen Mode, and that was easily banished with one session in ADB.

So what's my point? That price and basic specs are not the only reasons people make phone purchase decisions. Everyone has their own reasons for choosing a phone; and criteria that may seem trivial to one person may be make-or-break for another.

I couldn't care less about cameras, punch holes, bezels, or notches, for example. There are some people, on the other hand, who would rather lose a limb than have a notch on their screen or a sub-par camera. So who's right? Everyone. People have different missions and different preferences. Once we get beyond things like basic build quality and consistency, what's "best" is largely a matter of personal needs and preferences.

That's also why I hate recommending phones to people. I'll let them try any of mine and I'll talk about what I personally like or don't like about any of them, but I'll almost never make a recommendation except for people my own age or older, because I have a pretty good idea of what most older people want and need in a phone.

I usually point that group toward something like the Moto G7 Power, assuming they don't need 5G. No powerhouse, for sure (except for the HUGE battery); but inexpensive ($179.99 at Sam's Club), reliable, supported by every carrier in the USA, and able to do everything most older people will ever need it to do. Then I strip everything off the home screen except dialer shortcuts to their most important contacts, and they think I'm the greatest guy in the world.

Back to the topic... I don't think OnePlus is losing their touch. I think they're coming into their own. I think their biggest challenges at this point are in the area of consistency of build quality; and specifically with regard to the USA, coming up with a better repair solution than one less-than-wonderful facility in Texas.

I have had no problems with this phone, but others have. The screen issues in particular can't be denied or written off as the result of bad third-party apps. If I'd had any of those issues, I would have packed up the phone the same day I received it, and shipped it back to them for a refund. I wouldn't even think about getting it repaired because of the frighteningly bad reputation of their repair center. That's something they really need to work on to move on to the next level.

Richard

6. Shocky
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2020

Shocky , Feb 24, 2020 :
    No, I only bought the OP7 Pro because it was discounted. They only get discounted when new phones are imminent.

If I was buying new for £699 I'd be looking for Samsung devices, after a few months of launch they're always discounted.

Samsung's camera is much better as well, OP7 Pro camera isn't even as good as the Galaxy S9 or Note 9.

7. Huigiebaby
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2020

Huigiebaby , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Quality wise, hardware wise, software wise, 100% yes.

But...

The photography part lacks. Big time! Inconsistent quality, silly post processing, white balance way off at certain times.
    I buy a new OP every 6 months @ a pop up store but with the 8 I am going to wait for user reviews of the photography part. If it lacks again my next phone will be a Samsung. Yes, more expensive but I want better photo's...

MiH!R and Sameermehta2 like this.
  8. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Exactly my point. I don't care much about the camera quality because I rarely use it, and never for anything important. I have a DSLR for that. If that had been important to me, I probably would have waited for the Google Pixel 4 to enable dual-band GNSS (it had the hardware but was not enabled at launch), read some reviews on that feature; and if they were good, purchased and tested one, making sure it worked to my satisfaction while I could still return it.

The Pixel 4 scored highest on the cleanness of the OS, of course, because it's just stock Android. It also has among the best camera hardware and software out there right now. If the camera were the most important thing to me, that would have been a very big factor favoring the Pixel 4.

It scored much lower on repairability, however; but that would be largely offset by their extensive walk-in repair network at uBreakIFix (a U.S. nationwide phone repair chain) and the relative ease and low cost for battery replacements and other repairs should I not want to do them myself. Just because I can do a repair myself doesn't necessarily mean that I want to do it myself. Letting someone else do it while I watch a movie with my grandchildren has its good points, too.

The Pixel 4 also scored lower on battery life, but that was with the stock configuration. I always do better on battery life than manufacturers claim because I implement my own tweaks and optimizations. And, of course, until dual-band GNSS was enabled, the Pixel 4 was not an option. Google had promised to enable it, but hadn't done so yet.

So in short, OnePlus bested both Samsung and Google in my decision based on features, not price. But that was based on my own understanding of what was important to me, for my mission; my willingness to spend what many would consider an inordinate amount of time doing research; and an exhaustive test regimen after I received the phone.

This is not something casual users do. They're much more likely to consider friends' (or vendors') recommendations and experiences than to spend months poring over reviews and watching teardown videos; and a single horror story about a hardware problem that took weeks (or more) to get fixed may cause them to walk away from a brand.

So again, consistency of quality and a better repair network are, in my opinion, what OnePlus needs to be focusing on right now. A single, bad, word-of-mouth review from a friend about a hardware problem or a bad repair experience will outweigh everything else (including even superb camera software) when it comes time for a more typical consumer to spend their money.

Richard

9. ngydat
    KitKat Feb 24, 2020

ngydat , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Same here. Even though I've already pre-ordered my Galaxy S20 (not the ultra) ^^

10. NahbiCris
    Jelly Bean Feb 24, 2020

NahbiCris , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 24, 2020 :
    maybe not but this is why:

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  11. Sameermehta2
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2020

Sameermehta2 , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 25, 2020 :
    agreed for photography part

12. MiH!R
    Eclair Feb 26, 2020

MiH!R , Feb 26, 2020 :
    I have similar thoughts since I don't have a DSLR so I have to depend on a Mobile camera for most of my Pictures and Videos. Spending money on a flagship and not getting a decent camera is something I personally didn't expect from Oneplus. I was getting good pictures while I was using a Redmi device. Given the cost and brand, I believe it's about time they fix the issue. I am already having thoughts of changing the device if that's going to be the case.

13. Sheppards
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2020

Sheppards , Feb 26, 2020 :
    A closeup
    [​IMG]
    A macro shot
    [​IMG]
    Another closeup
    [​IMG]
    Another macro shot
    [​IMG]
    A regular picture
    [​IMG]
    Another regular picture
    [​IMG]
    Another regular picture
    [​IMG]
    A nightscape picture
    [​IMG]

14. Sheppards
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2020

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020

15. Huigiebaby
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2020

Huigiebaby , Feb 26, 2020 :
    There I nothing wrong with them, that's my point. Quality is not consistent. It makes pretty damn good photos but there are times it messes up completely.

16. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 26, 2020 :
    Your expectations are more in line with mine.

I sold the tech support and consulting part of my business about ten years ago, but I still manage a few Web sites. Some of them are photo-intensive, so I spend a lot of time editing photos sent in by my clients' employees, almost all of them taken with iPhones.

The iPhone tends to take photos that are very slightly warm and slightly oversaturated, but consistently so. That's the profile Apple has chosen for their default, and nearly all the pictures are "off" by the same values. I could just use them as-is except for resizing and no one would notice that the color is a bit off. The eye corrects for minor imperfections in color.

Because I have to crop, resize, and watermark the photos anyway, however, I also correct the color. This almost always consists of cooling the white balance by about 3 percent and reducing the saturation by about 5 percent. There are exceptions when a picture was taken under challenging lighting conditions, but they're unusual.

With the 7t, even with my limited use of the camera, I've noticed that there's very little consistency. Most pictures lean in the general directions of being warm and oversaturated, but not always, and not consistently even when they do. The hue also varies quite a bit, even in natural light; and the black level is all over the place.

I can easily correct the colors using software (my favorite being Affinity Photo); so it would be no big deal, even if the pictures were important. For example:

white-pizza-uncorrected.jpg

is too warm and oversaturated. The margin between the cheese and the cutting board gets lost as a result.

Ten seconds (literally) of quick-and-dirty correction later, and we have a somewhat more accurate picture:

white-pizza-corrected.jpg

It's nowhere near perfect, but the most glaring defects have been corrected sufficiently to at least separate the pizza from its background. Another minute or two would fix the rest of the issues.

The thing is that the 7t is inconsistent. If one of my client's employees were to send me 100 iPhone pictures, probably 97 out of the 100 would require 3 percent cooling and 5 percent desaturation. With the 7t, the corrections would be all over the place. Which is good in a way because it tells me that it's strictly a software issue. But if I were using the camera for serious photography, it would be very annoying.

Richard

pranabss likes this.
  17. Sheppards
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2020

Sheppards , Feb 26, 2020 :
    Ah, alright, I think I get it.

I seem to have some odd white balance issues too (when there's a computer display in the viewing field).

I also agree, this must be software. And I think it's some kind of AI feature, for example it recognizes a plant, or fruit, face or something like that, it just exaggerates some colours, or changes colour temperatures.

And of course for some subjects this extra processing is not triggered, and they look different. So yea, I think this is some kind of magical AI scene recognition "feature" in the end.

I also think that any scene recognition/AI magic should be optional (as well as EIS on videos, which sadly not the case for most phones)

But oh well, here we are.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  18. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 26, 2020 :
    That's my take on it: They're trying to hard to "fix" something that would be better off left alone.

I'd prefer that they offer an option to just save whatever the camera sees with no processing at all other than user-selectable settings for white balance and jpeg compression level. But I don't use the camera enough to really care all that much.

Richard

Sheppards likes this.
  19. Ticki
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

Ticki , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Oneplus isn't a Flagship killer anymore. But they weren't since the Oneplus 5. Now they more likely build Killer Flagships instead of Flagship Killers, cause, yeah, you can get a S10 for around the same, but you also get a slower Soc, less ram, only (Imo) Useless features, that the Oneplus doesn't have, like Wireless Charging. (Only reasonable argument (Imo) is the Headphone Jack) Also you get (presumably) one less android update, a slower, whackier OS skin and (If you can trust the dude over me) less repairability. So I would buy the OP7T.