Is OnePlus using inferior AMOLED panels? Or are their lapses in Quality Control? via OnePlus 7

1. Abhi Dahiya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 21, 2019

Abhi Dahiya , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 21, 2019 :
    I recently ordered OnePlus 7, 8+256 variant from Amazon India. I was upgrading from OP3T. Upon receiving it, i found it okay. And then after 1 day of usage and setting up, i discovered it to have uniformity issue. On Dark Grey backgrounds (in apps), top half and bottom half part of display would have different hue. Top would display light grey and bottom dark Grey.

Being very particular about displays, i ordered a replacement from Amazon. But even the replacement unit had the same uniformity issue, just that it was now from left half of screen to right half.

After this i decided to visit OnePlus service centre. I showed them the problem, and despite having received a replacement already from Amazon, they out of courtesy provided another replacement unit. And guess what! To my surprise even the 3rd unit has the same uniformity issue. And it's even worse.

I am not even sure what to do anymore. My 3T had a great screen. No such issues. I don't think it even matters to have another replacement whatsoever. It might end up anywhere! And if i go for a refund, who to ask about it? Started at Amazon and now have a OnePlus Store unit.

And not just OnePlus 7, even 7T owners are complaining about reddish/greenish tints on their device and it's even worse. What has happened to OnePlus QC? Are they letting literally any kind of display pass through their manufacturing? No checks and balances at all?

G_plusone and Marios Roussos like this.
  2. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2019

GuitarHero0179 , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Have you turned off DC dimming? I read a couple of posts that this new Android feature can cause issues. Otherwise it's most likely the screens

JNiemi likes this.
  3. Abhi Dahiya

I didn't even turn on DC dimming on in the 1st place because i don't have problems with Amoled screens when viewing in the dark.

I know when a display has an issue because i am quite a long time user of Amoled screen phones. Galaxy S4, OnePlus 3T, Lenovo P2 and OnePlus 7.

Marios Roussos likes this.
  4. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2019

GuitarHero0179 , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Mmm strange then. Yeah it was just an idea. I wouldn't turn it on either. In that case I expect there is an issue with the screens :(

5. Marios Roussos
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2019

Marios Roussos , Oct 21, 2019 :
    I have that issue too but I have found kind of a workaround which is to turn up the brightness to higher levels and the hue issue goes away. For me it happens in lower brightness levels...

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  6. J1508070026278
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

J1508070026278 , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Either its just plain bad luck or maybe there are quality control issues.. hearing about the problems which you faced with the screen panel, I consider myself lucky to have a device which works perfectly (tried out all kinds of tests on it and so far no issues detected).

Which month was your device manufactured in btw? Mine is manufactured in August 2019.

7. Abhi Dahiya

All 3 of my units have been June manufactured. I bought 8+256 variant and it sells way lesser than 6+126 so this version has older manufacturing date.

8. J1508070026278
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

J1508070026278 , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 21, 2019 :
    If i am not mistaken.. that was the first lot of oneplus 7 devices.. must have been some serious quality control issues at that time.. i can see that many of the 1 star comments on amazon for this device also seem to be from July.

Have they agreed for a refund?

9. Abhi Dahiya

Will contact tomorrow. And will see what happens. As 8+256 was manufactured in limited batch due to limited demand, i don't see ever getting hold of a August made or later unit. And it's already getting out of stock.

So if they agree for refund, which i will push for, i might just wait a bit and buy some other OnePlus phone later on. I initially had planned to buy 6+128 only but later on tilted towards 8GB RAM.

J1508070026278 likes this.
  10. Marios Roussos
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2019

Marios Roussos , Oct 21, 2019 :
    okay so I just realized that it's software. If you notice as you boot your phone everything is evenly black until the last 2-3 seconds before it takes you to the lock screen. So it could be software

11. vinaymonu25
    Froyo Oct 21, 2019

12. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 23, 2019

superplus , Oct 23, 2019 :
    Hi @Abhi Dahiya and others here, there have been some replies from admin David Y. in a 7T thread about a similar issue:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-7t-display-tint-issue-uneven-oled-not-uniform.1122487/ amongst which:
    I haven't merged your thread there, since yours is in the OP7 series forums, but if you want to follow the discussion there, please let me know and I can do so, or you can post in/watch that thread yourselves, as you prefer.

David Y. likes this.