Is the hole punch really a deal breaker?

1. ASCHENTE_V
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jan 20, 2020 :
    So this is time for some design discussion. Down below you can find the image of OP 8 Pro. Tell me what you guys think regarding this punch hole.

I personally consider it as the downgrade in comparison with 7 Pro/7T Pro if we take the screen without any notch, waterdrop notch or hole.

I would still be far more excited to see the pop up camera. Unfortunately, looks like that isn't gonna happen.

1579513260990.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020

2. StopItRawr

StopItRawr , Jan 20, 2020 :
    Well, that's one way to keep the value of the 7 Pro high, making the 8 Pro worse.

Maybe OP seen a high failure rate for the camera module and decided it wasn't worth it?

Shame, because a hole punch is far less elegant and means you miss out on the full screen feel.

I see Honor have won this battle though. The View 20 was the first flagship to have a hole punch (On the top left at that) and now they're all doing it.

ASCHENTE_V likes this.
  3. ASCHENTE_V

I really wanna know how they will justify the transition from the pop up camera to the punch hole. I don't want to think that it was Samsung's delivery condition of these dislays.

Also I'm eager to find out what fanboys will say[e]1f602[/e]

4. malidan
    Marshmallow Jan 20, 2020

malidan , Jan 20, 2020 :
    With Samsung focused on the foldables, it would most likely have been a take it or leave it scenario with no other Amoled 120HZ screen available @ QHD. Once you step up in quality you can go back, the true test is finally here.
    The removal of the Pop up will help with the balance sheet and other design concerns. The punch hole is the only way forward with the hidden front camera imminent.
    The market has become very copycat like. and follow the leader is now the name of the game.
    Its time for the fans to dig deep.

5. malidan
    Marshmallow Jan 20, 2020

malidan , Jan 20, 2020 :
    Interesting thought I totally forgot to track this or issues that may have steamed from its addition.

6. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Jan 20, 2020

Baymax , Jan 20, 2020 :
    holepunchcamerabaymax.png

Hello all!
    Your forum neighborhood friendly Baymax here with a little bit of speculation.
    So, let's dive right in and have a chat.

As we all know, an article released which all but confirms the punch hole in-display camera cutout for the OnePlus 8 series of devices. Many on the forums have already talked about how it is a step back from the 7 Pro's pop-up mechanism...

How about the other side? I like the fact it is going to the punch hole rather than continuing the pop-up mechanism. Ever since reviewing the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3, I have been skeptical about every mechanical or motorized sliding mechanism as well as every motorized pop-up mechanism out there.

Don't get me wrong though. I have the 7 Pro. Everyone who has seen me pop up the camera before his or her eyes has been thoroughly amazed and surprised by it if they weren't expecting it. Others have said that if I were a 15 year old girl addicted to Snapchat that the camera would not be in working order like it is now.

I mentioned also in the past that the punch hole was probably the best solution for the front facing camera. It's definitely a more economical option, but it isn't as futuristic as the lead screw mechanism for the pop-up camera on the 7 Pro.

Let me give you some reasons why I would prefer a punch hole over a pop-up mechanism.

First, if there is any chance of gathering dust from pocket lint, the 7 Pro is absolutely more likely to collect dust and is harder to clean than a screen with a punch hole would. Just one wipe all at once, even if the screen is off, with your microfiber cloth.

Second, for you selfie lovers out there, you can be happy knowing that the 8 series would not have any possibility of breaking down the line. It is less moving parts and therefore less possibilities of breaking.

Third, it could be cheaper to make. i'm sure a stepper motor and lead screw are pretty cheap, but it is an extra cost over just a camera module.

Finally, it is easier to seal the phone without moving parts and would also allow for more room taken up with a punch hole. OnePlus managed to seal the 7 Pro but it isn't as flawless as one could ever imagine. The 8 Series will probably be somewhat everyday water resistant like the past OnePlus but maybe maybe just maybe more water resistant than anything they have made in the past.

Everyone... this is all just speculation here but personally I don't feel like the punch hole is as much of a step back as people are making it out to be. I can understand that people like how the 7 Pro's camera pops up and there would be some gimmick points taken away when showing others if you had an 8 series, but I believe more in practicality than anything. The pop-up mechanism is practical, but I am not a very big fan of moving parts. Having used 2 punch hole camera devices I can say that it is very practical and not as big a deal as many of you are making it out to be.

I'd be curious to hear why you all would think a punch hole is as large a step back as you all say it is. I'm open to discussion.

7. ASCHENTE_V

Of course this is a step back, because once again a part of the screen content will be cut. Watching video will lead to a black line at the top of the phone, which wasn't there in 7 Pro. With the 7 Pro one can use front camera only when it's needed. It doesn't bother you all the time. As the result you are left with the 100% of the content. Why would anyone even wanna make 2 steps forward from 6T and 1 step back?

You don't like the moving mechanism, I personally don't like front camera at all because I don't use it. I want to get rid of it completely, not even leave it under the display.

I just wanna find out how 1+ will justify the need to have THAT THING right in front of you. However like it happens each year no matter what the company will do, the very first fanboy reviewers will fall in love with this design and will write lots of words in their reviews to make it look better than it really is.

If sth is highly discussed as a step back than it's step back, no matter what sb would say.

8. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 20, 2020 :
    There are always two sides to every coin though.

ghostofcain, Impersonal and Bouncer71 like this.
  9. ASCHENTE_V

Sure, that's correct. I don't deny that some people will like that design, however we're talking about whether that's step back and why people think in that or another way.

When such a topic is discussed and users debate then it proves that not everyone likes the new decision. Why? Because it's downgrade from what was better earlier.

P.S. I'm waiting for the new wallpapers, which will hide that part of the screen with some dark colors. If that happens it will mean that even the company is ashamed of it[e]1f602[/e]

Edvardsen and Bouncer71 like this.
  10. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 20, 2020

superplus , Jan 20, 2020 :
    I'm with you on this one. I actually only found out after having stopped using my Nokia N73 after 8 years of loyal service, that it even had a front facing camera to start with. I had never known that. I had thus obviously never used it. But I also never had a need for it.

My first smartphone, the Huawei Ascend G300, didn't have a front-facing cam, and that suited me just fine.

Let's leave the front for the screen only please.

Plus it could cut down on spy-potential for those that feel paranoiacally inclined.

buntycubal, Edvardsen, script and 9 others like this.
  11. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 20, 2020 :
    Again i disagree here. I pointed out that for some the front facing camera is vital. And one that will last without any scare of moving parts would not be bad.
    Just because some people say it is a downgrade doesn't mean it is. Some people will always think the opposite.

Impersonal and Bouncer71 like this.
  12. ASCHENTE_V

Yeah, thanks man[e]1f44d[/e] I want vivo apex 2 without front camera to be a new trend)

Impersonal, Bouncer71 and superplus like this.
  13. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 20, 2020 :
    I mean I'm also with you here. The 7 Pro is by no means a bad device and the pop-up mechanism is in no way a bad solution to having a front facing camera. I rarely use my selfie camera either. But the pop up does gather dust sometimes despite all OnePlus' best efforts to seal it. And the camera goes inside the phone which is really scary to me. But again I don't use the selfie camera much so I just open it up and clean it every once in a while.

buntycubal, Bouncer71 and superplus like this.
  14. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jan 20, 2020

Bouncer71 , Jan 20, 2020 :
    I could even live without any selfie camera... ;)

Videotelephony is overrated imo...
    Letting someone else take the picture produces definitely better results than with an stretched out arm and everything behind you is blurry...
    Well, at least until that darn fixed focus lens will be buried forever... ;)

May it be a punch hole, the placement top left on the notification bar is probably the best solution...

15. meatandy
    Oreo Jan 20, 2020

meatandy , Jan 20, 2020 :
    No I don't believe it is a deal-breaker , frankly OnePlus will use whatever Samsung panel that will best suit the needs And design for their next phone.
    Just cover the lense with piece of black electrical tape you'll never notice.:rolleyes: :p

16. malidan
    Marshmallow Jan 20, 2020

malidan , Jan 20, 2020 :
    People learned to love the notch so much, :rolleyes:
    they boasted of a smaller notch, the tear drop and then the smaller tear drop. But now they hate the tiny little dot In comparison to the notch they learnt to love. :confused:
    Just think of it as the yellow band, you will have it but not really notice it.:sunglasses:

Impersonal likes this.
  17. ASCHENTE_V

Probably the best Samsung panels that they were given... I'll correct you a bit. May be it really was Samsung's delivery condition to have a punch hole. You never know...

Impersonal likes this.
  18. ASCHENTE_V

malidan

People learned to love the notch so much,
    they boasted of a smaller notch, the teardrop and then the smaller tear drop. But now they hate the tiny little dot In comparison to the notch.rhey learned to love.
    Just think of it as the yellow band, you will have it but not really notice it.​

But what if sb notices it...🤣 And I never learnt to love front camera and various notches.

Impersonal likes this.
  19. malidan
    Marshmallow Jan 20, 2020

malidan , Jan 20, 2020 :
    Come on we know how this one will turn out, the same as the:
    Pop-up
    Notch
    Srereo speakers
    Fast charging
    QHD
    Multiple.camera's on the rear
    Edge
    Fullscreen
    Etc, etc.
    Once OP Introduce it, the FB's will own it and love it.
    Look @Baymax and @superplus have already fronted up for Samsung.:D

Galaxy-S10-bender-actualapp-portada-1.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S10e-With-Baymax-Wallpaper.jpg

20. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jan 20, 2020