Is the hole punch really a deal breaker?

1. YRJ
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2020

YRJ , Jan 24, 2020 :
    IMHO, It all boils down to preference and convenience. As I am a left handed user, the thumb is my best shot at swiping down and as is with taller phones, it's difficult to reach the top. Hence, the left is not only my preferred corner but also a convenient one.
    That's what I thought, initially. But certain simulator game have useful controls in the corners. I'm afraid the punch hole will be a hindrance.
    I don't think so ;)

2. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2020

StopItRawr , Jan 24, 2020 :
    I can't be the only one who loves the whirring sound when they unlock using face unlock on the OP 7 Pro?

buntycubal, superplus and B.I.T.S. like this.
  3. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Jan 24, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Jan 24, 2020 :
    I love it! :D
    It feels like it's alive, you're waking up a grumpy camera to look at your face and do its thing so it can go back to sleep :rolleyes:

buntycubal and superplus like this.
  4. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2020

StopItRawr , Jan 24, 2020 :
    *whirr*

Oh it's you? Pft I was hoping for someone who looked nice, bye.

*whirr*

buntycubal, superplus and B.I.T.S. like this.
  5. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Jan 24, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Jan 24, 2020 :
    *Whirr*

Annoying you aga... Oh wait who are you? You know I can't let you in... I know you're pretty but I can't... No no no don't try with numbers. No! Don't do that! Please wait don't leave meeee...

*Whirr*

superplus and StopItRawr like this.
  6. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Jan 24, 2020

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Does it actually cover anything though? You mentioned the S10e before. The punch hole was on the right side on that. Useful controls in the bottom right or top left were covered, but what about the way the OnePlus 8 series has it? On the left.

7. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2020

superplus , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Well it would depend, if you're playing a game in landscape more that would make it lower left corner, which definitely has stuff in it in some games, or if you flip it, upper right corner, which also has stuff in it sometimes. I guess as long as you're not playing something that has stuff in lower left _and_ upper right, it should be doable, but could still be annoying, especially if you have a case on it that makes it preferable to use it in one direction and not the other (think flip case).

8. YRJ
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2020

YRJ , Jan 24, 2020 :
    I tried out a couple of simulator games and I have observed that the in-game controls will be covered on the bottom left (in landscape) it does not have any problems on the top left though. (On the s10e)

9. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Aren't controls a little bit further out than the corner though? Or doesn't the app make sure nothing is obstructed on load?

10. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    I just installed a simulator on the F2, Note 10+ and the 7 Pro with very promising results as to why the punch hole doesn't matter when it has Android 10.

11. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    @YRJ in response to my message I quoted.
    [​IMG]

If you happen to know of a specific simulator where you encountered the problem then please let me know so I can test it

12. YRJ
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2020

YRJ , Jan 24, 2020 :
    That looks good indeed but I've never had a chance to check the game with Android 10. So maybe it is not a problem,now. However, I don't have the s10e so no way to verify that :p

13. superplus

I can't really think of any examples at the moment, other than perhaps Alto's Odyssey, and also haven't had access to Android 10, so can't really comment. Of course app developers for the most popular app might take bullet holes in this corner into account at some point, though if it's only OnePlus sticking it in that corner it would be a bit of a niche investment maybe.

14. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Alto's Odyssey. Hmm installing.
    Looks like Android 10 got it under control.
    [​IMG]

superplus likes this.
  15. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Looks like even portrait games got the treatment.
    [​IMG]

superplus likes this.
  16. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Even the least popular app I could find at only 1000 downloads has the treatment.
    [​IMG]

Safe to say it's Android 10?

superplus likes this.
  17. superplus

though surely you can't deny that that full screen one looks so much sexier :rolleyes:

gcocucci likes this.
  18. Baymax

Baymax , Jan 24, 2020 :
    I won't deny that but to me personally I could live with the hole punch when it acts this way in Android 10.

19. Alex_Cerv
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2020

Alex_Cerv , Jan 24, 2020 :
    i completely agree with @ASCHENTE_V, i rarely use front camera, not to say that is useless but not even so important to say that is ready whenever you want with no mechanism; yes is a dust collector, fully agree, but you can clean it as you daily clean your magnificent screen.

On top of that is a step back for sure, whatever side you want to take it, full screen is full screen(remember all phones before notches)
    A proof is even Brands hides the camera with stock dark wallpaper strangely exactly where the punch camera is...
    Full screen exerience is unique on each side you want to analize it, a hole is there even you get used to it!!
    Of course teenager with socials may cripple that mechanism far early than a average user that takes a selfie once a week, mechanic is mechanic.

The REAL point is punch hole is a step backward regarding innovation, fullscreen experience and estetical part.

If we analize less development cost-same/higher selling price will just lead to bigger earnings on selling, but for real this does not count for us

Then if we gather younger kidda social ill, they will say a punch hole is better.

My point, just one between all, STEP BACKWARD, not interested in 8 series, let's see what 9 will offer, 7 pro is a beast in my hand, new OP flagship does not have my interests, sorry

PS very very good thread....shall be this a OP strategy research for a..."future choice"?

nice going

gcocucci and superplus like this.
  20. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2020

ghostofcain , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Don't know what you do with your phone, I clean mine maybe once a month.