Is the OnePlus 10 Pro for you?

1. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club Jan 13, 2022

Cheetosdust , Jan 13, 2022 :
    1+ 10 Pro Is it for you Draft 10(1).png
    (banner by @Giovanni_S)

Defiant of expectations, the OnePlus 10 Pro is starting to make itself be heard. You probably got to know the device better already, but what it can do is not necessarily what it can do for you. We are going to arrive at this device from different walks of life.

That’s why I invited five members from the Writers’ Club to help you understand better if the OnePlus 10 Pro is a good choice for you. They’ll let you know how they see the newest and shiniest device coming from different OnePlus devices - from the eternal OnePlus 3T to the mighty OnePlus 9 Pro.

@BobbyV8_ - From OnePlus 3T
    I’ve rocked my OnePlus 3T for five years now and it’s time for an upgrade. The OnePlus 10 Pro could take the second spot in my list of options. The OnePlus 3T is my all-time favorite for its thin & light body, good battery backup, smooth System on a Chip (SoC) and Operating System. It's a 5 out 5 for me.

The OnePlus 10 Pro’s weight and thickness are a concern. I would definitely miss feeling the metal body and the chills it gives me. The camera is definitely a considerate upgrade with all the bells and whistles from Hasselblad and an improved algorithm from OnePlus. Battery backup and SoC capabilities will also definitely be better than my aging 3T. I’m also worried about having a unified OS and losing the pros of OxygenOS (OOS). However, with a change in time, I have to live with it.

It’s a good and much needed upgrade coming from my OnePlus 3T. A delayed launch in India gives me enough time to make a pick between the Pixel 6 and the 10 Pro.

@PritishPriyam - From OnePlus Nord

I've only rocked my OnePlus Nord for one and a half years and have no intentions of going for an upgrade this year. I must admit that while the OnePlus 10 Pro has got quite an amazing set of specifications on paper, I'm afraid I'll have to give it a pass.

And why I say so is simply because the OnePlus Nord continues to serve the purposes I bought it for and still stands strong. I'm satisfied with the 30W charging and battery life offered by this device. It easily lasts through the day, on moderate usage, which is good enough for me. The 90Hz display looks and feels good, with the same going for the OxygenOS 11 experience.

PUBG and COD run smoothly on Nord, for example, and switching between multiple apps is an instant affair. The camera segment is a letdown, however, but I don't care much about it. Also, the OnePlus 10 Pro will ship with OxygenOS 12, and with the feedback I've seen from the Community so far, I'll save myself the hassle of this upgradation.

@suhantm - From OnePlus 7 Pro
    I’ve been using the OnePlus 7 Pro from literally the moment it went on sale, it’s been shy of three years since I purchased it. I upgraded from the 5T because I genuinely felt the 7 Pro was an outstanding upgrade and a device that felt ahead of its time with that beautiful seamless display with the 90Hz refresh rate.

7 Pro v 10 Pro.png

I was going to upgrade to the OnePlus 9 Pro last year but ultimately decided not to as it seemed like an incremental upgrade in the grand scheme of things. Considering it’s been three years with the 7 Pro (longest I’ve ever gone with the same phone) and the recent revelation of the spec sheet of the 10 Pro, I do finally feel like it might be time to upgrade. Why? Let me explain:

Battery Experience: This is my biggest woe with the 7 Pro, the 30W charging speed along with the relatively lower battery capacity just isn’t getting me through enough time anymore. As someone who is always moving and is heavily dependent on their phone for work, I really would love something that can get me through a day (or more) and charge up in a jiffy when needed. The 80W charging capabilities along with the additional 1000mAh on the 10 Pro definitely put it in contention for my next smartphone upgrade!

General Performance: Speed has unfortunately gone beyond the device now with noticeable areas of downfall like lagging, inability to process information in-apps, in-game stuttering, etc. Pretty easy to say that I wouldn’t mind the massive bump in performance that could come from the 10 Pro.

Camera: Don’t get me wrong, the 7 Pro’s camera array is good. However, it does have its fair share of problems, which just get an internal itch going such as color banding, inconsistent colors, and a stuttering shutter. The 10 Pro seems like it’d be a monumental upgrade in this department, seeing the sample shots and, knowing that this is the second iteration of the Hasselblad x OnePlus collaboration, I have hope. Only time will tell if the greatness extends beyond the spec sheet.

I genuinely think you could still hold on to the 7 Pro if you really wanted to (your friends won’t be able to tell that it’s not a 2022 phone :), but for me it’s time to depart from probably my all-time favorite smartphone. Hopefully the 10 Pro can define the new peak for the company!

@razzor228 - From OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition

I've been using the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition ever since it launched in India back in 2018 which is just over three years ago. Back when this device launched, it was a significant upgrade over the Vanilla 6T, bringing in faster charging and more RAM. Also, we did see a new industry standard with the in-display fingerprint scanner.

Now, with the launch of the OnePlus 10 Pro, their latest flagship, I wondered if this could be a good time for an upgrade. After giving it a lot of thought I decided to convince myself and come up with a couple of reasons as to why I should upgrade.
    • Display: The OnePlus 10 Pro comes with a vastly superior 120hz QHD+ display compared to the 60Hz FHD+ panel, which will probably be at the forefront of my difference inexperience.
    • Camera: I am someone who loves clicking pictures every now and then. With a trivial 16MP on the 6T in today's time, the 10 Pro with its 50MP sensor in a Quad Camera layout is definitely enticing and a huge upgrade for me. Mind you, the 6T is still capable of clicking some insanely good shots, but sometimes I find myself in a situation where the camera just cannot keep up with my expectations.
    • Battery: While the 6T McLaren did introduce Warp Charge and spoil my charging habits forever, I would like to see what the 10 Pro with its 80W Charging can bring to the table. Lately, my 6T seems to be running out of juice quite quickly, a higher battery capacity might help my battery life woes.
    • Performance: So with an aging device like the 6T, I sometimes feel like wanting to get more out of it while playing games or even multitasking. With apps getting more heavier and needing more esources, I can no longer have the same amount of apps running in the background as I used to back in the day. For someone who's on the phone dabbling through multiple things throughout the day, the performance gain that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 will offer is going to be useful.
    While this was just me trying my best to justify why I should jump ship and upgrade, it's okay for you to have a different opinion.

@YRJ - From OnePlus 9 Pro
    I've been using the OnePlus 9 Pro for a little over nine months now and putting the usual software niggles aside, I believe OnePlus has made a great smartphone, one that can finally compete with the likes of Apple and Samsung. My detailed review is coming Soon™ so keep an eye out for that.

DSC07834-01.jpeg

Now that OnePlus has launched their newest flagship, the OnePlus 10 Pro, @Cheetosdust asked me if it was for me. As much as my desire to have the latest and greatest wanted me to say "YES", I couldn't get myself to type that from this device. There are several reasons why the 10 Pro isn't for me. But before I list them, please bear in mind that this is only my opinion, if you have a different take feel free to share below, I'd love to hear it.
    • The 9 Pro looks nicer! - Okay so this one is probably the most subjective reason. I'm sure there are many who would say otherwise. So if you're one of them, the comment section is all yours.
    • Fewer camera sensors - While more doesn't necessarily mean better, looking at the 9 Pro and 10 Pro side by side, the missing sensor (albeit not very useful) does make it look more like a vanilla variant than the Pro offering.
    • Slower Charging (Which is still quite fast) - I find the 65W charging on the 9 Pro fast enough for my needs. Plugging it in for 15-20 minutes is more than sufficient for me to get through the day. While faster speeds might excite some, its adverse effect on the battery health only makes me more anxious.
    • It is the most incremental upgrade, probably ever! There are very little differences between the two devices and I personally feel that they should have simply called it the OnePlus 9T Pro.
    Now you know how five of your peers see the arrival of the OnePlus 10 Pro. It’s your wallet and your needs, so there are no right and wrong trajectories in terms of the devices you have parked in your Google Account.

Please do tell us, are you planning to upgrade to the newest member of the OnePlus family? Is the OnePlus 10 Pro for you? Yes or no, please don’t forget to mention the device you are currently using. take it away, lovely people.

2. ion2910
    Jelly Bean Jan 13, 2022

3. Gamingtime1121
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 13, 2022

Gamingtime1121 , via OnePlus 9 , Jan 13, 2022 :
    If they can make tweaks to the camera system and work their a** of in terms of bug filled system and adjust price when it launches in more markets then yes.

4. MatteoCozzari

MatteoCozzari , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 13, 2022 :
    I've read this thread from my op9pro, and i don't see a concrete motivation for move on and getting the 10 pro.
    Yeah, the op9pro is not a device free of bugs problem (indeed 100% software), so I'll put the attention to the new device around the corner with the usual "passion vibe" (I've used oneplus devices from old one op2).

(I'm apologize for my bad English).

5. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jan 13, 2022

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 13, 2022 :
    hello 👋 @Cheetosdust
    It's a really good question, whether or not it's the new OnePlus 10 Pro for me... Yes it is! 😅😅😅 I've had the OnePlus 9Pro since July and it's a fantastic device I have to say, but the various software problems that plague it at the moment, I would switch to the new OnePlus 10 Pro. Of course, if money was no problem 😅😅😅.

7. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club Jan 13, 2022

Cheetosdust , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Your English is perfect, don't worry about it - and I love your cautionary excitement. :p

Hopefully the next updates can fix all your problems with the device. Fingers crossed, my good man.

Any brand you would like to see?

8. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jan 13, 2022

And it's for you my friend? You go all in for the OnePlus 10 Pro?

9. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jan 13, 2022

10. iangelrice , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jan 13, 2022 :
    I think its pretty cool hands down to collab with Hasselblad. But since it'll come to end soon, I think I would like to see OnePlus collab with Zeiss (if they didn't already)

MustangGirl and Cheetosdust like this.
  11. Vivek2368
    Froyo Jan 13, 2022

Vivek2368 , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Great post @cheetodust , but as i can see every year oneplus is loosing on its customers base just because of the buggy software experience, delayed updates and nothing new in devices just a price increment and design change.

The custom os support which oneplus was famous for is now dying just cause they have stopped shipping devices to devs. Now the news of unified os , warp charge became vooc etc . Earlier i used to recommend people to buy oneplus as only enthusiastic people buys it who knows what they are buying but not any more, just because they are not listening to the issues people are facing in terms os software etc.

Old oneplus devices are truely the best devices.

And lastly buying a oneplus for 60k in india doesnt make sense when you could buy a iphone at the same price.

12. SJBoss
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Jan 13, 2022

SJBoss , Jan 13, 2022 :
    @suhantm 7 Pro (and other phones with pop camera like K20 Pro) is a better looking device than any of 2022 devices (or even 2023) until under display camera tech matures.
    heh, bold of you to assume that. You do know that @The Earl of Twatshire is on the forums as well?
    It could be, If you pay for it. heh :rolleyes:

Seriously though, most 2022 devices are for me, but pricing matters.

tsene, Loubear, yuvalnes and 5 others like this.
  13. atenaa
    Lollipop Jan 13, 2022

atenaa , Jan 13, 2022 :
    @Helder_DAlmeida Thank you for quoting me! ;)

@Cheetosdust Is the OP10 Pro for me?....Of course it is!! :D:D:D Every time there is an announcement that a new phone is to be launched, I get itchy. 😂😂 And why? Because I want them but I never like the price. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I have the OP7 Pro and love it, but I wouldn't mind changing it for the OP 10 Pro so I can taste the Hasselblad menu.:cool::D If this is going to happen, it just depends on how much OnePlus/OPPO wants to lower the profit margin. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022

Adinia, MrKevinVDP, yuvalnes and 12 others like this.
  14. Nbalugas
    Jelly Bean Jan 13, 2022

15. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jan 13, 2022

You are welcome! 🤗
    😂 😂

16. Aathif_Mahir

17. we_need
    Honeycomb Jan 13, 2022

pds324 likes this.
  18. Nbalugas
    Jelly Bean Jan 13, 2022

Nbalugas , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 13, 2022 :
    I would like to think so! Since the beginning of the partnership with Hasselblad I've been wanting to play photographers 🤣🤣 and the rest of the machine is OnePlus although the screen from my point of view is taking a step forward. It will only be possible for me if the price fits my pretensions.
    Obrigado @Cheetosdust

19. RacerZ
    Lollipop Jan 13, 2022

RacerZ , Jan 13, 2022 :
    I will give you a guarded, "Yes." You see, I'm a photography enthusiast and I've been shooting every photo lately in RAW using my OP 9. So when OnePlus introduced Billion Color Solution and 12-bit RAW+ with support on all 3 cameras, my wallet automatically flipped open.

Then why is my "Yes" response guarded you may ask? For two reasons:
    1. I need to see some unvarnished, unbiased, positive reviews of the cameras before seriously jumping in the water with both feet (I can float, but can't swim), and
    2. My fingers are a little singed from that OOS12 upgrade. It needs time to heal... (OOS12 that is, not my fingers.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022

aKilter, kulmanferdi, Adinia and 12 others like this.
  20. gcocucci
    Oreo Jan 13, 2022

p51d007, YO3INQ, Youssef.95 and 4 others like this.