Is the OnePlus 2 a Flagship Killer?

?

Does the OnePlus 2 have the same flagship killing magic that the OnePlus 1 had?

1. Yes

23.6%
  2. No

76.4%
  1. Radeon962
    KitKat Sep 13, 2015

Radeon962 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    Not even close. The One had all the high end specs of flagships at its time but was half the price.

I had my One from last July until I sold it this past January.

I just got my Two yesterday and used it for most of the night and all day today. It runs very well, is quick, fingerprint sensor worked well, etc. It is a very good phone but not a phone that will get me to switch from my iPhone 6 Plus. I have used the Note 5 and S6 and both are flagships in the sense of excelling in all areas.

OnePlus Two is a very good phone at a good price and if you are coming from a phone that is a couple of generations old like an S4 or similar phone it will be a very good upgrade.

If you are coming from any current Flagship like the 6 Plus, Note 5 or S6 there really is nothing that stands out on the Two in comparison other than the price.

It is a nice phone but does not have the wow factor that the One did when I first unboxed it. Oxygen OS has a long way to go as it is very vanilla compared to Cyanogen.

A lot of people will be very happy with the Two if it is their first smartphone or if they are upgrading from a phone that is a couple of years old but it left me leSS than impressed compared to my iPhone 6 Plus or the Note 5 I was trying out.

2. prishepkh
    Eclair Sep 13, 2015

brianvwellis likes this.
  3. malidan
    Nougat Sep 13, 2015

malidan , Sep 13, 2015 :
    Must I write this list again.
    SD
    Fast charge
    Removable battery
    Wireless charging
    QHD
    Waterproofing
    Can't be bothered to do anymore, these are basics now.
    Bugs, who told you they are software bugs, is the home button software?

#HYPEorGTFO likes this.
  4. Mgos
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 13, 2015

Mgos , Sep 13, 2015 :
    You could say per dollar spent you get more from the Honda civic than the Ferrari. Though with the Honda that probably isn't true, it is definitely true with the oneplus versus other flagships. Personally, my oneplus two destroys phones in its price range. (except maybe the Nexus 6 which is now $350. But six inches is just barely past the "too big" mark for me.) It is true though, if price isn't an option, the oneplus doesn't measure up to most flagship phones. My opinion is, if you only have $400 to spend, get the two. If money isn't an object, get something else.

5. esquire03
    Gingerbread Sep 13, 2015

esquire03 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    Lack of certain features that an individual doesn't personally use does not mean they aren't flagship material. I don't use NFC either and it happens to be in my current phone. The whole point is to have the feature(s) available to allow the end user to choose. No phone is perfect but looking at what One brought to the table vs the 2 it is clear that the 2 is not quite a flagship killer. But that doesn't mean that it isn't a good midrange phone. The game has changed this year and more companies have stepped up to the plate with midrange offerings which put even more pressure on the 2.

If it works for you great but one quick search will yield a ton of threads about the 2 and a lack of "x" features..

Tokolozi and #HYPEorGTFO like this.
  6. JuanEB
    Gingerbread Sep 13, 2015

JuanEB , Sep 13, 2015 :
    The OnePlus Two is more like the "2014 Flagship killer" even though OPO already has that title.

7. aenews
    KitKat Sep 13, 2015

aenews , Sep 13, 2015 :
    1. microSD
    Not present in OPO and should not be expected on OP2. Would be nice, but you do get 64GB Internal Storage which is better than most devices.

2. Fast Charge
    Charges fully in two hours... Just like the OPO. Uses the same 5V/2A Charging. Considering you also have one of the largest capacity batteries in the market this is a pretty decent charging time and you should have less need of a top-off with a larger battery.

3. Removable Battery
    Not a single current-gen flagship phone has a removable battery. Only one last-gen phone has a removable battery (Samsung Galaxy Note 4). The LG G4 is worse than last-gen and also has a removable battery. It is unfortunate but no one uses removable batteries these days. Not expected on the OP2 since not present on OPO.

4. Wireless Charging
    On any device with a removable back, you can generally just use a microUSB adapter to add this functionality (i.e. OnePlus One). Granted due to USB Type-C this would require a new accessory. So no current solution. Wireless Charging is slow. If you need to leave unexpectedly at night then you won't have a full charge. Sure it adds convenience not having to fiddle around with your charger at night, but so does USB Type-C due to the reversible ends.

5. QHD
    Not really necessary on a 5.5-Inch Phone. I own several 4K Monitors (15.6-Inch and 28-Inch) and used to use a QHD Tablet. At that screen size, you can't significantly make out the extra details. You may see some increased sharpness at closer distances but not so much detail unless you in extremely close proximity to the display (i.e VR). I wouldn't complain about a QHD Display but nor would I be concerned not having a QHD Display on a 5.5-Inch Phone. Moreover, a large portion of current flagships also opted for 1080P Panels. The OnePlus 2 is not behind the competition in this area.

6. Waterproofing
    O...k. Are you talking about the Sony Xperia Z3+/Z4? More overheating/throttling issues and lacks a removable battery which you indicated as a flaw earlier.

In any case, there's virtually no current-gen flagship phone on the market with more than 4/6 of the features you listed. Except maybe the Xperia Z4 (Verizon). The LG G4 which is worse than last-gen does satisfy 5/6. You can easily come up with a much longer list of what those devices lack compared with the OP2...

ButterFlYnez likes this.
  8. Papao
    KitKat Sep 13, 2015

Papao , Sep 13, 2015 :
    up to some point yes, and in turn out later some point to be killed.

9. jmjj27551
    Donut Sep 13, 2015

jmjj27551 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    With the two not havimg nfc I don't know if I would use android pay, but it is nice to have that option open, even my old LG F6 had nfc.

10. TCA72883
    Eclair Sep 13, 2015

TCA72883 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    Which do people like better the OPO or OP2?

11. tarun.chhabra26
    Donut Sep 13, 2015

tarun.chhabra26 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    No, its a good phone but not a flagship killer. The price offered for the hardware is just pure value for money but they had to cut corners on many things, hence the tradeoff. It will be interesting to see if oneplus makes the ultimate premium device and doesn't cut corners on anything. If they are even able to price it $50-100 lower than flagships, that will still be an impact

12. Sltn29
    Eclair Sep 13, 2015

Sltn29 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    Agreed, Price wise compared to the Samsung G6 it wins out. Specs wise the SG6 does have a slight edge (no pun intended) over it. However, in CDN you are looking at 570-600$ (import tax/shipping) for the 64GB model and I wonder if that amount would make some people reconsider buying that or going on a 2 year term with the SG6 or the new iphone 6s.

13. Sltn29
    Eclair Sep 13, 2015

Sltn29 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    I read some OP2 users prefer the OP1 only coz of the OS. I heard that the new OS on the OP2 limits some functions that were available in the OP1

14. Tokolozi
    Nougat Sep 13, 2015

Tokolozi , Sep 13, 2015 :
    Oh Canada needs to pay taxes on the OP2?

15. zombie112
    Gingerbread Sep 13, 2015

zombie112 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    I would say it's not a killer like the OPO, but it definitely can compete. If it had NFC I'd probably not upgrade for a loooong time after.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

Tokolozi likes this.
  16. Sltn29
    Eclair Sep 13, 2015

Sltn29 , Sep 13, 2015 :
    I think i read somewhere a user from toronto quoted around 570 CDN. It makes sense coz converting the USD to CDN plus the shipping would not equal the 570 but factoring the tax from T.O it would hit the mark. I messaged the user to confirm and still waiting for a reply.

17. Tokolozi
    Nougat Sep 13, 2015

Tokolozi , Sep 13, 2015 :
    Ah alright, hope it isn't so, Canada is a big market to lose.

18. Sltn29
    Eclair Sep 13, 2015

19. Aztrelik
    Gingerbread Sep 13, 2015

20. Tokolozi
    Nougat Sep 13, 2015