Is there A Way To Root OnePlus One Without losing Any Data ?

1. malaypatel
    Eclair Mar 8, 2015

malaypatel , Mar 8, 2015 :
    I want to root my oneplus one but i dont want to lose my any data on the phone.
    I rooted it once but now when i open xmod i get error.

2. SockPuppet
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2015

3. awkward_potato
    Lollipop Mar 8, 2015

4. stephenlotus
    KitKat Mar 8, 2015

5. minderwiesen
    Honeycomb Mar 8, 2015

minderwiesen , Mar 8, 2015 :
    Look, people need to get off their search high horse sometimes. I decided to search for "root without losing data" and out of 19 results, the only relevant ones were this thread. Check for yourself: https://forums.oneplus.net/search/4990550/?q=root without losing data&o=relevance&c[node]=2

In a perfect world, that search would always work and users would always remember to use it. Neither of those two are perfect though. Thank you for at least including answers in your post to help the OP, and also thank you for creating the cool / simple One+ Like ratio PHP script.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

Slyther1, lostLambda, qibhom and 2 others like this.
  6. eranm5
    Jelly Bean Mar 8, 2015

eranm5 , Mar 8, 2015 :
    Is there a way to run without using your legs?

You can't flash SuperSU without unlocking your bootloader first. There was a way to boot TWRP and flash it in 25R but it was "fixed" in a future update.

stephenlotus and awkward_potato like this.
  7. awkward_potato
    Lollipop Mar 8, 2015

awkward_potato , Mar 8, 2015 :
    :p or you could search in google "root oneplus without losing data" :rolleyes: anyway *puts that aside* You're welcome for the like ratio script [​IMG]

minderwiesen and redleema like this.
  8. strafer
    Lollipop Mar 8, 2015

9. Sunny
    Honeycomb Mar 8, 2015

Sunny , Mar 8, 2015 :
    If your bootloader is unlocked then you wouldn't loose any data.

Guessing, you havent unlocked your bootloader huh?

10. malaypatel
    Eclair Mar 10, 2015

11. qibhom
    Gingerbread Mar 10, 2015

qibhom , Mar 10, 2015 :
    That is one problem with google style (aka keyword) searching. You have to know the magic words.

The other problem, as minderwiessen pointed out, is that you get a lot of garbage.

One solution is to look for posts with [GUIDE] in the subject, but those frequently aren't useful, either.

So, the problem is structural, not individual. I don't like seeing the same questions over and over again, either, but the solution isn't telling people to use google or to search the forums, it is to create very high quality FAQs and guides, and to somehow make those very visible to newbies. Or to hire librarians <g>.

Gators likes this.
  12. qibhom
    Gingerbread Mar 10, 2015

qibhom , Mar 10, 2015 :
    Then, yes, you have unlocked the bootloader, and can reroot without loosing data. Not that making a backup first isn't always a good idea.

13. malaypatel
    Eclair Mar 10, 2015

14. malaypatel
    Eclair Mar 10, 2015

15. acersahibi77
    Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2015

acersahibi77 , Mar 13, 2015 :
    I don't if that's the right place to ask a question for the problem that I encountered.
    So I ask you to forgive me if I am in the wrong thread.

I am on the latest stock rom. Today I upgraded some apps and suddenly I lost all of my pics and videos and some other data. I haven't unlocked the bootloader before and obviously my phone isn't rooted too. I tried recover my lost data but most of the apps like Disk Digger work on rooted phone. I tried some other software on windows but didn't worked too...

If I unlock bootloader and root my device would I still have a possibility to recover my lost pics and videos or not. I am afraid that the answer is probably not.

Thanks in advance for your help.

16. lostLambda
    Lollipop Mar 13, 2015

lostLambda , Mar 13, 2015 :
    LOL! "Search high-horse"!

minderwiesen likes this.
  17. wangchosang
    Cupcake Mar 13, 2015

18. lostLambda
    Lollipop Mar 13, 2015

lostLambda , Mar 13, 2015 :
    Unlocking bootloader will erase everything. Rooting your device won't erase anything.