Is Working From Home the Future of Work?

1. ElpuntoNL , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jan 22, 2021 :
    Don't like your boyfriend then....

But I understand... Suddenly it's a small world...

2. CatS0404 likes this.
  3. CatS0404 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 23, 2021 :
    The best part about WFH for me, is I can stay up to midnight and still get a full 8 hours sleep. I hated WFH at first as I never realized how much the office was my daytime entertainment. 🐱

4. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Jan 24, 2021 :
    Working from home has always been an option but it hasn't been until now a serious option. Some work obviously can't be done at home but it does provide some advantages along with disadvantages.

Advantages -
    1. No one looking over your shoulder. Depending on your employer, some people need to see you sitting at your desk even if you aren't doing anything.
    2. Being able to take breaks whenever you want.
    3. Not having to venture out to work if the weather is bad. Additionally, if you have to travel, this saves you time and money.
    4. You can get on with your work undisturbed by office chit chat (which could also be a disadvantage).
    5. Being able to start and finish early/late.

Disadvantages -
    1. No social interaction with colleagues. I miss it - it's just not the same using Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
    2. Video conferencing means you concentrate more looking at the screen. Studies have shown you develop a bigger headache.
    3. You are at the mercy of your internet connection. No connection - no work.
    4. If you're not lucky enough to use your employer's equipment, you're using your own leading to wear and tear at your own expense. If your laptop/PC fails, you'll have to pay the repair/replacement costs.
    5. Things such as heating and air conditioning are paid by you. A lot of employers have said you're lucky to have a job.
    6. It is too easy to get distracted. You find yourself making excuses to avoid doing work.
    7. I have found you end up doing more hours. Everyone expects to be available for longer because you're working from home.

The key thing is to try and maintain a healthy work life balance. It is easier said than done.

CatS0404 likes this.
  5. Y1574224399934
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2021

6. ElpuntoNL , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jan 26, 2021 :
    I think there must be a mix. It's good for people to go outside to a different environment.

7. loneagl
    Eclair Jan 27, 2021

8. Sandip Sarode
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2021

9. G1611572662420
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2021

G1611572662420 , via OnePlus Nord , Jan 27, 2021 :
    I have been working from home from age 30 till date, for 45 years. At age 75 I have no regrets. It is paradoxical to note that the whole world is mostly working from home now. Actually ones output is more when one works from home. It is not 9 to 5 . It is 6 to 6 . 12 as a freelance worker. You earn more and spend less to end up a richer person.

CatS0404 likes this.
  10. BeeTheHero
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2021

BeeTheHero , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 27, 2021 :
    With respect to everything that technology helped us achieve, I still prefer conventional office timings and work culture. Work from home can be an alternative, just like it has always been.

atenaa and ElpuntoNL like this.
  11. ElpuntoNL , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jan 27, 2021 :
    Very agree!

BeeTheHero likes this.

12. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Jan 28, 2021

Liehjan , Jan 28, 2021 :
    I can't stand working from home... I need the social connections I get at work to feel productive and efficient in my work.

ElpuntoNL likes this.
  13. JaysonWong
    Cupcake Jan 28, 2021

14. Markusvvv
    Cupcake Jan 29, 2021

Markusvvv , Jan 29, 2021 :
    Yeah, but I'm tired of sitting at home.

15. Adam@OnePlus
    Donut Jan 29, 2021

Adam@OnePlus , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 29, 2021 :
    With respect Sir, the whole world is not 'mostly' working from home. If you needed heart surgery, would you be happy to lie on the surgeons dining room table?

Would you happily have your builder build an extension on your house and mail the bricks to you one by one?

What about a plumber, could he repair a water leakage in your home from the comfort of his armchair?

How about the power company operating a nuclear reactor from the garage of one of their employees?

I'm sorry to sound patronising but further to a post I made sometime ago in this very thread, in the grand scheme of things, there are in fact very few jobs that can be operated from ones own home.

Again I apologise for any disrespect that comes across in this post, I just wish people began to value what real hard work looks like. We don't all just sit on the phone or typing email.

16. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Feb 2, 2021

keithnyc , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Wow, nice post buddy!
    I gotta tell you, when I was working for my old boss, I would have loved working from home. But in my new position now, I actually miss going into the office. I miss the social interaction and the physical face to face meetings. And the Andster (my cat) is always walking on my keyboard when I'm online at home.a

Spool, that said, I'm now back in the office (the World Trade Center) about twice a week... It's perfect. I have access to my big monitors, copiers and heavy duty scanners etc. And there is really no one else there (maybe 6 people for an office meant for 150....), so I actually get work done instead of socializing 😉

buntycubal likes this.
  17. Ayushi_2007
    Donut Feb 3, 2021

18. harimadhav
    Honeycomb Feb 8, 2021

harimadhav , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 8, 2021 :
    I don't think I would be in a position to answer this question but I have been going to work everyday (except for the time I was on leave and the days where alternate day working were announced).

I am a banker by profession and it is somewhere I have to interact with 100s of customers on a day to day basis.

During October I came in contact with the virus and somehow, my health wasn't deteriorated. Had to be in home quarantine till I tested negative.

Coming back to the question,
    Yes working from home can be the future but only for those who doesn't have to primarily meet clients and customers as part of work. (I would have loved to meet them online, but I don't think I can encash cash cheques to them online :p )