[ISSUE] Hard Brick Issue (8974_msimage.mbn: OK problem)

1. DRS2442
    Honeycomb Mar 1, 2015

DRS2442 , Mar 1, 2015 :
    This is a separate thread for the issue when trying to recover a (presumably hard bricked) OnePlus One.

Background:

Usually if I'm at fault, I say I am, especially since I usually tinker with my phones a lot. In this case, however, I was running stock everything, and my phone simply turned off and never came back on. My 360 alerted me to it otherwise I'd have never known that it came off. It didn't buzz or anything, it just came off. I left it for about 2 hours (because homework, didn't wanna be distracted, assumed it was just a dead battery) but when I tried to put it to charge, it simply didn't respond. I tried all the usual remedies (20 sec - times, hold power for more than 30 secs, try to get into recovery or fastboot) but none worked. When I connected it to my computer, it simply said "Qualcomm HS-USBXXXX" or something like that, so upon further searching, I determined it was a (by some magic) hard brick.

This is why I've decided to take this path in trying to recover it:

Following all the given threads, with all drivers installed and all relevant permissions given, the msmXXXX tool (or oneplus recovery tool as provided by someone else) recognizes the phone (when plugged in, and power+vol-up is held), and begins the process - except, it stops after writing this file - 8974_msimage.mbn - and the phone disconnects and never reconnects.

I've searched the forums (here and xda) and all steps were followed, all drivers installed properly (disabling driver signing etc etc) and everything works fine until that point where it simply disconnects and never reconnects. The program doesn't stop either, it just keeps running but never writes another file.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

2. Deactivated User
    Mar 1, 2015

3. nirmitmehta
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 1, 2015

nirmitmehta , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Did you run the program in Admin mode?

4. DRS2442
    Honeycomb Mar 1, 2015

DRS2442 , Mar 1, 2015 :
    yes

5. flamingodise

6. gianstevens
    Gingerbread Mar 1, 2015

gianstevens , Mar 1, 2015 :
    I don't understand people who aren't experienced in phone stuff try stuff which can brick their phone. Assuming that's why you have a bricked phone now..

7. Android the Greek
    Jelly Bean Mar 1, 2015

dstrick707 likes this.
  8. Psk.it
    KitKat Mar 1, 2015

Psk.it , Mar 1, 2015 :
    if the device starts up in in fast boot mode, you can try one of the procedure you can see in my signature "unbrick" row

9. Formsma
    KitKat Mar 1, 2015

Formsma , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Why is it a surprise?

10. Deactivated User
    Mar 1, 2015

antoni13 likes this.
  11. nirmitmehta

frankiecortina likes this.
  12. Formsma
    KitKat Mar 1, 2015

Formsma , Mar 1, 2015 :
    I noticed that, still, why?

13. DRS2442
    Honeycomb Mar 1, 2015

DRS2442 , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Usually if I'm at fault, I say I am, especially since I usually tinker with my phones a lot. I am "experienced" in phone stuff. In this case, however, I was running stock everything, and my phone simply turned off and never came back on. My 360 alerted me to it otherwise I'd have never known that it came off. It didn't buzz or anything, it just came off. I left it for about 2 hours (because homework, didn't wanna be distracted, assumed it was just a dead battery) but when I tried to put it to charge, it simply didn't respond. I'll probably put this in the main post to avoid any further confusion

14. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Mar 1, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Stop bashing on people who root just because you're too stupid to see why we do it.

15. Psk.it
    KitKat Mar 1, 2015

Psk.it , Mar 1, 2015 :
    so it was in soft brick (a software or configuration problem)
    an hard brick could be solved only by maintenance (for example if cpu is burned or other hardware issue)

16. nirmitmehta

nirmitmehta , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Well usually hard brick is that but it could also resolve to something like messing up the partition that has all the pre-requisite program(coding) to load a ROM. In that case it is as good as hard bricked as you don't have anything available to talk to that particular hardware.

In case of owning an OnePlus One it is a a lot easier as someone leaked the ColorOS.Zip or the file called the "MSM" something tool. This file does exactly what I've mentioned above. It directly interfaces with the qualcomm hardware inside the OnePlus One and tries to reload all the coding and fix permissions so that a ROM/RECOVERY/BOOTIMG etc can be loaded.

We just got lucky here!

17. go for.android13
    Jelly Bean Mar 1, 2015

go for.android13 , Mar 1, 2015 :
    I have never accidentally briked a phone I have briked a phone once deliberately to donate to a daycare as a toy but the way I briked that there was no recovering any data period

18. Daniel Bray

Daniel Bray , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Offsetting the bit ratio?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

19. ssafras
    Cupcake Mar 1, 2015

ssafras , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Hello everyone!

I just want to point out that I have the same problem as DRS2442

I have a 16bg OPO (Chinese Version) which after the last OTA update (05Q) got stuck on the cyanogenmod logo while booting. Please note that the phone was NOT rooted, the bootloader was locked and the only thing that was installed was the OTA updates. In short, I never messed with the phone until now.

I do have access to:
    • Fastboot
    • Recovery
    ..but I can't flash / sideload anything (I get a Failed to mount /cache , /data etc)

I also tried pushing other images and installing them through recovery (The official one and the TWRP, PhilZ etc)

I have access to alternative recoveries through "fastboot boot" but I cannot install a recovery (i get the usual error Faled to mount etc..)

I also have access to the phone's filesystem through adb shell and all the dev/block partitions seem to be there.

Considering that the Fastboot and Recovery methods didn't work, I tried the following:
    • OPORecovery tool
    • ColorOS recovery tool
    ..but the progress bar gets stuck at 3/4 while loading 8974_msimage.mbn and then the phone reboots.

Things I tried:
    • Change cables
    • Change Qualcomm drivers
    • Change operating systems (win7 x64, win xp, win 2000)
    • Change COM port settings
    • Allways run as administrator (with or without xp compatibility)
    • Boot windows with F8 and not-signed drivers allowed
    • Leave the phone charge for 24 hours and then do all of the above again
    • Voodoo
    This seems to be a popular problem some people face while trying to reset their phone. Has anyone managed to find a solution?

The only reason I write this, is because it's exactly the same thing that happens to DRS2442 but in my case the phone was pure (no custom roms etc)

I have my warranty and I could ship it back to china in order to have it repaired, but if it's possible I would like to avoid this.

Thank you for your time!

quikeh likes this.
  20. go for.android13
    Jelly Bean Mar 1, 2015

go for.android13 , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Wow you took the time to ready profile props to you, and yes bit ratio is how (x=kb) 1kb=y (y=1mb) and so on well I'd you change this ratio to anything other than standard you also need to have a set of instructions kinda like encryption but even deeper hardware interface level