Network/Connectivity Issues with Straight talk Verizon - unable to edit/create APN

1. cashgarage Eclair Nov 6, 2018

cashgarage, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I just got my 6T and am trying to use it on Straight Talk with a Verizon SIM. However, the data and incoming texts do not work. Straight Talk is telling me that the APN is incorrect. However, I am unable to edit the APN (all fields greyed out). I am also unable to create a new APN because the phone will not let me save a newly created one without a name but the name field (and all others besides APN) is also greyed out. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

I bought this phone specifically to use with the Verizon SIM as the AT&T one I was using with my OnePlus 3 gave poor service in my area.

F_Matthew_Baum_baGW likes this.
  2. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Nov 6, 2018

Stickied Post

Jeyr2012 and F_Matthew_Baum_baGW like this.
  3. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Nov 7, 2018

Stickied Post
    SoniaB, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Please see this post from @Shine L.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/no-incoming-sms-or-mms-on-verizon.935610/page-6#post-19429237

keithnyc likes this.
  4. Eric Drinkard Donut Nov 6, 2018

Eric Drinkard, Nov 6, 2018 :
    So, you have to put in a sim card from another carrier. I had this same issue. Doesn't have to be active. Then create you APN settings, Then put your sim card back. Just a heads up there is SMS issues with verizons network.

Jeyr2012 likes this.
  5. cashgarage Eclair Nov 6, 2018

Thanks but this does not work because when I reinsert the vzw SIM, the APN resets.

Jeyr2012 likes this.
  6. cashgarage Eclair Nov 6, 2018

After spending about 3 hours on the phone with Straight Talk tech support, they are not able to help me. Frustrated, I took the Verizon SIM out of the 6T and put it in my OnePlus 3 and it works....
    If anybody has any way to help change the APN on the 6T with the straight talk verizon SIM, please let me know.

7. npeltier Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

npeltier, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I've tried this also without luck. Can you tell me which brand of SIM cards you used for this workaround. I mostly use Verizon MVNO's. I tried putting in a Verizon Prepaid SIM card, but I'm still not able to enter an APN. I also tried an AT&T SIM card, but the saved APN's disappear when I switch to the Verizon SIM card.

8. Eric Drinkard Donut Nov 6, 2018

Eric Drinkard, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Hi it was an ATT branded sim card that I used. Weird that yours are deleting. But this who thing has been weird from the start.

9. cashgarage Eclair Nov 6, 2018

I spoke with OnePlus support who told me to call Verizon. I questioned it because the service I use is Straight Talk and the phone is obviously not a Verizon phone. However, OnePlus support told me that since it is Verizon's network in use, the APN setting restrictions are coming from Verizon.

I called Verizon support, spoke to a level 2 tech support and was told that they have nothing to do with it and have no restrictions. They said they couldn't help because I don't have Verizon service or a Verizon phone and that they thought it was weird for OnePlus to recommend I call them.

So, I'm back to square one.

10. F_Matthew_Baum_baGW Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

F_Matthew_Baum_baGW, Nov 7, 2018 :
    *Bump*
    I have the Exact same issue. I spoke with multiple Level 2 StraightTalk Customer Service Reps. StraightTalk confirmed that the SIM is posting the wrong APN, They attempted to reset the APN name on their end as well. One rep informed me that she lacked access to the MDN, which came from the Manufacturer.

I was able to use their ATT Sim Card. Under ATT, the APNs are NOT locked, and I CAN add a ST APN for Verizon. However, that newly added APN only functions when a GSM card is inserted. When the ST Verizon Card is inserted, only the VZWINTERNET APN is available, and other options are greyed out, as well as when I attempt to add an APN.

When I find someone with a functioning (regular) Verizon Sim, my next step will be to attempt to add the APN while on the (Regular) Verizon Sim and reinsert the card to see if the APN holds..

I can confirm that Voice and VoLTE are functioning just fine.

For the time being, ST switched me to their ATT Card, until the issue is resolved.

Jeyr2012 likes this.
  11. cashgarage Eclair Nov 7, 2018

cashgarage, Nov 7, 2018 :
    I have switched the Straight Talk Verizon SIM into the SIM 2 slot and now the correct ST APN shows up along with the default Verizon one. Data is working and I'm getting an LTE signal. However, still no incoming texts. I'm on the phone with Straight Talk now to see if they can fix this final piece. I will update. Try your SIM in the SIM 2 slot and see if the APN shows up for you.

12. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

F_Shawn_Ward_DetM, Nov 7, 2018 :
    I had the same issue and found a working solution. In Google play download "Apn settings by Androizen. search for straight talk and find the Straight talk (Verizon) APN and you should be able to edit your APN settings which is TRACFONE.VZWENTP
    1541555364775.jpg

cashgarage and Eric Drinkard like this.
  13. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

Jeyr2012 likes this.
  14. cashgarage Eclair Nov 7, 2018

cashgarage, Nov 7, 2018 :

This did work to add the correct APN on the SIM 1 slot. However, texts are still not coming in. Spoke with Straight Talk and they could not fix it without sending me to another department that closed 20 minutes ago so I have to call back tomorrow. The incoming texts are the only things missing from my picture now. Hopefully that will be fixed tomorrow.

15. brennanfurca Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

brennanfurca, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Oh man...how exciting. I'm dying to know if you guys get it working. I tried for hours today..burned through 2 sims, 10 calls and finally had a ST ATT sim I activated out of frustration.

16. npeltier Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

npeltier, Nov 7, 2018 :
    I agree the APN Settings app will get you to a window where you can enter the correct APN. Not sure how it does it; but it does.

F_Matthew_Baum_baGW likes this.
  17. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

18. F_Matthew_Baum_baGW Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

F_Matthew_Baum_baGW, Nov 7, 2018 :
    did you use a new SIM card or move your stuff old one? there is a documented issue that you can't get texts if you moved an old SIM and the fix was activating a new one for that device... it's on some other boards

19. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

F_Shawn_Ward_DetM, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Hmm I did move from a AT&T ST sim to the Verizon sim

20. npeltier Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

npeltier, Nov 7, 2018 :
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but...has anyone connected to band 13 yet? I've only seen bands 2 and 4. I'm in a suburban area. I've had speed tests up to 125 Mbps.

21. Hydra Bob Lollipop Nov 7, 2018