Network/Connectivity Issues with Straight talk Verizon - unable to edit/create APN

1. Hydra Bob Lollipop Nov 7, 2018

Hydra Bob, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Btw I've been using an AT&T Straight Talk sim with all of my OP phones without issue. If being connected to Verizon towers isn't a concern then in might be worth the 5 bucks for an AT&T or T-Mobile sim through them.

Edit: Just saw the bit about poor service on AT&T towers. I'll leave this here anyway I guess.

Jeyr2012 likes this.
  2. F_Matthew_Baum_baGW Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

F_Matthew_Baum_baGW, Nov 7, 2018 :
    thanks for that, ATT does work well on ST with one plus devices, but some of us live in regions that are not served by ATT towers. For us, Verizon compatibility is a real requirement.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  3. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Nov 7, 2018

Stickied Post
    SoniaB, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Please see this post from @Shine L.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/no-incoming-sms-or-mms-on-verizon.935610/page-6#post-19429237

keithnyc likes this.
  4. crarbo1 Eclair Nov 7, 2018

crarbo1, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Can you explain how to use that app to create a new APN? From what I can tell, it just provides you with the APN data and you still have to manually create the APN yourself. The problem I am having is that I can't create a new APN.
    Thanks for any help,
    Chuck

Jeyr2012 likes this.
  5. cashgarage Eclair Nov 7, 2018

cashgarage, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Did you try the SIM in the SIM 2 slot? When I moved my SIM to that slot, the correct APN appeared. I had to use the APN app to set up the APN on the Sim 1 slot though.

6. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

7. cashgarage Eclair Nov 7, 2018

Okay, after another 80 minutes on the phone with the highest level of ST tech support and that tech support communicating with Verizon directly, they have concluded that this will not be worked out. ST is only able to do Verizon SIM with CDMA and cannot do CDMA-less LTE. So, if you want the 6T on ST you will have to use GSM service through either their AT&T or T-Mobile SIMs.

8. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

F_Shawn_Ward_DetM, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Hmm has anyone tried to activate a new Verizon sim instead of transferring? does that work with receiving texts?

9. cashgarage Eclair Nov 7, 2018

The Straight Talk verizon SIM I have is brand new. Seems through cross checking with the Verizon threads that on actual Verizon service, the only way to get the incoming texts is to get the CDMA-less set up. ST does not have that capability with their verizon SIMs.

10. F_Matthew_Baum_baGW Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

thank you sir for your persistence!

F_Shawn_Ward_DetM likes this.
  11. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

12. F_Matthew_Baum_baGW Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

it's a bit cumbersome to setup, but I ported my number to Google voice ages ago and use my phone as a forwarder. the app is nice and it provides a good workaround on this issue for me.

13. cashgarage Eclair Nov 7, 2018

The strangest thing about all of this is that when I put the ST Verizon SIM in my OnePlus 3, it works fully.

14. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 7, 2018

F_Shawn_Ward_DetM, Nov 7, 2018 :
    from my understanding and I may be wrong is the 6t is lte only and doesn't have cdma features inside. I believe the 3t would work on Verizon but only 3g data if I remember correctly

15. Jeyr2012 Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

Jeyr2012, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Im having the same issues. So far I have tried the apn settings app but it keeps crashing so I am not able to change its apn I am also having issues with data not just SMS and mms.

16. W1541077539904 Cupcake Nov 8, 2018

W1541077539904, Nov 8, 2018 :
    I just spoke with a level 2 support rep from straight talk. They said the SMS/MMS issue is a known issue but they don't have access to add the feature directly (I assume they're talking about the MVNO-Less feature). They need to talk with Verizon, but they closed at 9 pm EST. Looks like I'm calling back tomorrow...

F_Matthew_Baum_baGW likes this.
  17. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 8, 2018

18. beardedwalker Cupcake Nov 8, 2018

beardedwalker, Nov 8, 2018 :
    Just spent a frustrating amount of time with ST support (including with one individual who insisted she could not help me until I relayed to code she texted to me for security reasons....) only to conclude what most of you have also concluded. ST does not have the ability/functionality at their disposal to change the CDMA-LESS feature. I was advised to activate an ATT/T-moblile card until the issue is resolved.

F_Shawn_Ward_DetM likes this.
  19. cashgarage Eclair Nov 8, 2018

cashgarage, Nov 8, 2018 :
    Just left a Verizon corporate store. They were not able to set the 6T up on a pre paid plan. Their system recognized my IMEI san the phone as a 6T but would not allow them to apply a plan to it because the system does not believe the phone works on their Network. She called tech and had them try to override but they were not able to do so. Time to decide between ST and the spotty AT&T network or the Pixel 3...

20. F_Shawn_Ward_DetM Donut Nov 8, 2018

F_Shawn_Ward_DetM, Nov 8, 2018 :
    what about just setting up a Google voice number and forwarding your Verizon ST number to it? I was gonna try to use it that way