It's all in the details. OnePlus 7T Circular Camera Housing Design

1. FaleshC
    KitKat Nov 13, 2019

FaleshC , Nov 13, 2019 :
    i would like to steer clear of this type of round camera modules. It looks ugly and out dated. The bend test also showed that this weakens that overall structure of the rear glass panel. so no thanks. And also Apple's implementation is the ugliest camera if OnePlus is already decided that for next flagship.
    i would chose vertical camera alignment any day over this one.

2. Y1572177533166
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

Y1572177533166 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    if I'm being honest I don't really care about camera bumps the only reason I bought this device is for is extreme performance and a perfect user interface both are excellent and in the long run these 2 factors can make the phone future proof ......love to be part of this community[e]1f601[/e][e]1f601[/e]

3. Singh Jagseer
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

4. Gavin V
    Donut Nov 13, 2019

Gavin V , Nov 13, 2019 :
    @thoma_hawk

I guess alot of users would agree to this, It's not a"Big rant", more like constructive criticism. Oneplus is known for listening to their user base, Hopefully they may take your points into consideration for the next device.

Sanjeevone and thoma_hawk like this.
  5. thoma_hawk
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2019

thoma_hawk , Nov 13, 2019 :
    If the leaks are true then the next one keeps the vertical layout as seen in Pro's. The current one is not a deal breaker and I'm glad that they took the plunge and tried this one out. Atleast the designer could try out something fun and at the end it made 7T rather a unique OnePlus.

6. sneha28.gupta
    Donut Nov 13, 2019

sneha28.gupta , Nov 13, 2019 :
    I don't find the circular camera bump on Oneplus 7T ugly at all. Infact I find it very interesting and beautiful. Maybe it was one of the reason I bought this OnePlus model because it stands out look wise from any other smartphone in the market, even within the OnePlus range!

Sanjeevone likes this.
  7. rocketsql
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

rocketsql , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Let's just be honest, aesthetics is a personal opinion. It's a great country. You can like something or dislike it, buy it or don't buy it, and compare all you want to every other manufacturer. That's why this is so much fun. I get to buy what I like and you get to buy what you like. You vote with your money. No other phone that I've owned has lasted as long as the OnePlus One I originally bought. I like how this one looks, and I think in 5 years I'll still be using it. What more do I need to know?

Sanjeevone likes this.
  8. J1572580569126
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2019

9. DoctorOnCall
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2019

DoctorOnCall , Nov 13, 2019 :
    @S4A

The round camera bump seems like nothing more than an experiment with the aesthetic. It doesn't house anything more than the 7T Pro does, which also has the usual longitudinal cutout.

The only possible difference that accompanies the adventurous rounded cutout seems to be the lesser durability of the back panel, which I'm sure anyone reading this has already noticed on YouTube.
    ( In case you haven't, here : )

I neither love not hate OnePlus for going with the circular cutout. I've always stuck with OnePlus since my 3T because whatever OnePlus decided on design-wise, it brought me durability and peace of mind. But this time, the circular cutout and the resultant ease with which the back panel snaps into pieces is the only thing making me question OnePlus's strategy design-wise, for the first time.

SIDENOTE : When you say this year OnePlus has "reimagined" the camera bump / cutout to be circular one in comparison to the squares and elongated ones on the market, I wonder whether the generations of Motorola camera cutouts or the very iconic Nokia cutout skipped your mind? (no offence intended )

10. CJ_will_NeverSettle_6T , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Nov 13, 2019 :
    I agree completely [e]1f60c[/e]

11. CJ_will_NeverSettle_6T , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Exactly! I have a OnePlus 7 too I love everything about it's exterior design. It's sleek, modern, simple, and futuristic (counting it's teardrop notch & STB ratio)

12. L1572625548912
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2019

L1572625548912 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    I'm loving it... bump camera and picture quality... that the only reason i bought the oneplus 7t... and also the colour variant glacier blue...

13. rocketsql
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

I watch and enjoy Zach's "durability" tests, but I don't scrape, burn, or bend my phone. His teardown was informative and positive about the 7T. Frankly, I wish that One Plus and all the other brands had never thought of glass backs. The original One Plus had a plastic one. They could have gone to more durable up-to-date composite, one that was easily removable, or replaceable. But, the trend is glass. So that's what we have.

14. CJ_will_NeverSettle_6T , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Well here's the thing, I care a lot about aesthetics. So much so that I do not recommend people buy the iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max. And you're right about how "the individual details culminate into an excellent phone...experience." I absolutely LOVE what the 7T brings to the table, it and the 7 Pro are truly excellent phones that give the S10(s), iPhone X(s), and Pixels a run for their money.

But the camera bump is the ONLY thing pushing me away from the 7T. The circular module doesn't even fit in with the aesthetics of the rest of OnePlus's phones. It's THE UGLY DUCKLING. And it's such a random, unexpected switch!

15. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Nov 13, 2019

Impersonal , Nov 13, 2019 :
    As already pointed out, a big hole in a fragile glass back, makes it even more fragile, hoping for some great protective cases... That would maybe do the trick..

Also is UGLY, the device itself is awesome, a beautiful crafted machine, yet something is off, it's the huge round black "circular" bump,OP devices were always preaty, yet the back of a 7t is a abomination, and frankly the only thing preventing me from buying one!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019

16. rocketsql
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

Always loved the "ugly duckling" underdog type. Perhaps it because I live in MN and watch the Vikings, or as some call them... the "Vikqueens"
    That's why I bought my first OnePlus in 2014. My sense of aesthetics runs through classic Vespa, Honda PC800, and other "outliers" and far from deciding what I like because a lot of other people like it. To each his own.

17. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Nov 13, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 13, 2019 :
    I agree, the only reason I agree with glass back is if you have wireless charging. and if you don't... ahhem OnePlus!

thoma_hawk likes this.
  18. CJ_will_NeverSettle_6T , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. The feeling is 100% mutual!

MosheG1 and Impersonal like this.
  19. CJ_will_NeverSettle_6T , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Nov 13, 2019 :
    That's right, "to each his own." If you like the 7T's rear design then that's all that matters. It's a truly amazing phone and I know you'll enjoy it for a looong time!

MosheG1 likes this.
  20. rocketsql
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

A friend bought a OnePlus 7 Pro. The first time he dropped it the back glass broke. "Glass is glass, and glass breaks...". AND of course "Scratches at a level six, with deeper grooves at level seven." Love JRE! A note on wireless charging... my Nexus 7 had a plastic back AND wireless charging way back then. You don't need a glass back to have wireless charging. It probably does help with water resistance, but that could be done with a good composite as well. [e]1f60f[/e]

MosheG1 likes this.