It's all in the details. Seamless Navigation on the OnePlus 7T

1. S4A
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 27, 2019

S4A , Nov 27, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hey everyone, it's Titus from the OnePlus Brand Ambassador team! Today we’re taking a look at how we navigate seamlessly through all the apps our phones have to offer and we’ll look at some small touches that OnePlus adds to tweak the experience a bit.

The OnePlus 7T is running Android 10 and with that comes two totally different approaches to navigation - Classic and Gesture.

Classic Navigation

[​IMG]

What you see above is the classic Android Navigation Bar. The square, circle, and triangle that I'm sure you'll recognize can show recent apps (square), go home (circle), and simply go back (triangle). It’s nice for someone that likes the old approach to Android and isn't interested in having fewer buttons.

OnePlus does some interesting things with this approach to the Navigation Bar though. For starters, on a OnePlus phone you can switch the square and triangle making the triangle on the right side and the square on the left side of the phone. This is helpful for someone that is right-handed and finds themselves wishing the back button was closer to their thumb for quicker use or vice versa.

Each of the 3 buttons can have a double tap or hold action triggered. So, for instance, the square button could be held to show your notifications or the circle could be double tapped to go into app split-screen mode if that’s what you prefer. Or, you can keep with the standard Android approach of holding the home button to trigger Google Now.

Android used this Navigation Bar exclusively for a long time, but their team innovated and now have another option.

Gesture Navigation

[​IMG]

The Gesture approach is the newest approach to navigating Android and some might say it’s similar to Apple’s approach iOS starting with the iPhone X, but it’s far from a carbon copy. If you’ve used Gestures in previous OnePlus devices, be prepared for a slightly tweaked approach. There are several ways to navigate with a variety of these unique gestures - some new and some old.

[​IMG]

Swipe up and that takes you to the home Android screen.

[​IMG]

Swipe from the left or right side to go back.

[​IMG]

Swipe up and hold briefly and that will take you to the app switcher where you can vertically scroll through all of your open apps.

[​IMG]

Swipe up from the bottom left or right corner to activate the Google Assistant.

[​IMG]

And my personal favorite, swipe left or right on the bottom bar to switch to another open app.

What I love about these gestures is they work perfectly whether you’re left or right handed - all of the gestures are easily accessible with one hand. They are cutting edge and the animations are so smooth in operation.

OnePlus doesn’t offer nearly as much customization with this navigation mode, but it does offer one option. With my OnePlus 7T I can remove the bottom line marking where gestures are used offering a completely clean experience.

My Personal Favorite

If you had an Android device with Android 9, you’ll remember that there was a third option that I liked to call the Hybrid approach. It had clever gesture support like the Gesture approach I mentioned above, but it also had buttons similar to the Classic Approach. On my OnePlus 7 Pro (before the Android 10 release), this was my favorite approach to Android navigation and sadly it’s no longer an option.

Fortunately, I don’t miss it at all, because the gesture mode on the OnePlus 7T and Android 10 is fantastic. It makes perfect sense and makes it very simple navigating the sea of apps on my phone. I talked with other Android 10 users and it appears to be a favorite among the most passionate fans. It’s perfect no matter what hand you favor and once you’re used to the gestures it’s just immediate muscle memory navigating around your phone. I like that experience better than visually locating a small textureless button to tap on.

Gesture Navigation is my clear favorite approach yet to Android navigation, but what’s your favorite approach to Android navigation and why? Let me know below!

2. alaminnshaikh
    Eclair Nov 27, 2019

alaminnshaikh , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 27, 2019 :
    Colored block under the navigation bar in Android 10 is too annoying to use. For most of the apps it has a color either black or white under the navigation bar which not only looks too ugly but also feels unusual. Please remove any color under the navigation bar and in any app there should only be the bar, not anything else.

3. TheAyushJain
    Honeycomb Nov 27, 2019

TheAyushJain , Nov 27, 2019 :
    Hey if anyone is watching the threads , can we have that Android 10 swipe to switch app gesture being implemented in oneplus gestures as an option
    Rather than swiping up then swiping left or right, a direct right or left swipe can be implemented in oneplus gestures

Thank You !

Raimondas_Vilkas and PrakarshX like this.
  4. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 27, 2019

FlixbusLennart , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 27, 2019 :
    While this is a good thought, it won't be possible for multiple technical reasons.
    The only chance is that Google forces apps to implement some sort of API or detection/navigation bar/whatever system - but it's Google. This will never happen and even if it would, it would still be broken as f.
    Snapchat and Instagram using a camera API from before Android was a mainstream OS, not every app having a rounded rectangle icon in the Play Store etc. are just two examples for that.

TheJuli likes this.
  5. Jayesh2003
    Eclair Nov 27, 2019

Jayesh2003 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 27, 2019 :
    Exactly. That's what I reported in the Survey.

ameenakrami and Bluecat08 like this.
  6. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 27, 2019

7. mr_priyanshu
    Jelly Bean Nov 27, 2019

mr_priyanshu , Nov 27, 2019 :
    That Pill navigation gesture was my personal favourite too.

Unfortunately, I do miss it. The current gestures are annoying.
    1. With a case on, the thumb constantly brushes against the case first even on a simple action like going back.
    2. To enable split screen mode now i have turn it on from the options by going into the app switcher. Earlier i had enabled the option where by long pressing the back button i could put an app into split screen mode.
    3. The swipe right then scroll through apps loaded in the app guesture was simple & fast. Now i have to go into the app switcher to select an app or swipe it multiple times at the bottom going back & forth never knowing which side left or right a particular app went.
    4. It looked Android. Current one looks more iOS. And the 3 button navigation looks 2015 so no, definitely not gonna use that.

Nemish gupta and Wiktor44 like this.
  8. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Nov 27, 2019

Horsault , Nov 27, 2019 :
    TY for these reminders.
    Another pretty interesting gesture is spreading 2 fingers vertically anywhere on home screen to immediately open hidden apps drawer.

cdnfarmer likes this.
  9. JelleZon
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2019

cdnfarmer likes this.
  10. Y1537540350852
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2019

Y1537540350852 , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 27, 2019 :
    1574891348685.jpg

I like the old way of gesture I'm having on OnePlus 6 . swiping from bottom to up to go back and swipe up from middle to jump on home screen...this one works best for me..gives fullscreen experience ..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019

11. guenole_k
    Froyo Nov 27, 2019

guenole_k , Nov 27, 2019 :
    The sharing experience is pretty good !
    I think the new android 10 navigation gesture is not enough.
    In fact, there are some "aberrations" for me :
    1. The swipes from the edges of the screen is not good since a lot of apps have a side menu. People will tell we can toogle the hamubrger button but with the sizes of the actual phones it's not even usable. Also, the thing to keep the finger in the edge of the screen is a waste of time especially if the brand advocates speed on its devices.
    2. We can't grately enjoy the bottom bar because the system does not handle very well the changing colors. It's a system wide problem. We have a dark or ligth area on a lot of apps and it looks hiddeous.

The problem is that android did not copy everything that they wanted to copy on Apple. They should have take everything. In fact apple has system wide swipe left to go back on every apps. And the navbar behave more maturely.

The idea is good. We gotta have what's working well. But if we do not copy it well, the user experience is a crap.
    So I use the OnePlus gesture today, not the android 10 gestures. Even if I would want to have the swipe to navigate through the applications because everything else just do not works well.

12. Hiteish Sharma , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Nov 28, 2019 :
    woah! I did not know about the gesture to activate Google Assistant [e]1f60d[/e] Thanks Titus [e]1f33b[/e]

Without a doubt, OxygenOS Gestures are the new sexy ❣️ I've been using them since I've got OnePlus [e]2728[/e]

13. Sumedh_Nadgir
    Froyo Nov 28, 2019

Sumedh_Nadgir , via OnePlus 7 , Nov 28, 2019 :
    The left or right swipe to go back is so annoying because of left drawers in apps. What were you thinking android. Please do some changes of you own to this OnePlus

16. Sayantan_Manna
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

Sayantan_Manna , Nov 28, 2019 :
    @S4A

I'm saying this after using various types of navigation on OnePlus devices. The capacitive touch buttons, the on-screen buttons, and now the gestures on Android 10 on OP7T.

The only two methods of navigation made accessible to us on OOS 10 are the software buttons or the new version of gestures.
    Of these two, I prefer to go with the software buttons, because -
    • firstly, they are more familiar. (Even though I hate that they take up screen space, and I have tried to adjust to the gesture-based navigation multiple times, they are still more intuitive than the current iteration of gestures.)
    • secondly, the buttons are more reliable. (The gesture-based navigation system fails to respond sometimes completely, and sometimes responds erratically - right from OOS 10.0.3 to 10.0.5.)

I keep buying OnePlus devices because of the simplicity of use and the gradual rise in standards of product delivery both in terms of software and hardware. But honestly, although I've bought the 7T, the last couple of years are making me rethink seriously whether OnePlus is getting better or starting to fizzle out. There are numerous things piling up -
    • doing away with the capacitive fingerprint scanner for the slower, more power-draining, and less reliable in-screen scanner
    • making devices with far higher power consumption (with 90Hz displays) yet bumping up battery size only marginally
    • half-baked software features like the Zen Mode (where things like needing to call a friend in a medical emergency are just not considered relevant enough to build in a way of getting into the phone once Zen Mode is switched on)
    • experimenting with design elements that have been absolutely fine for generations of OnePlus devices (like unnecessarily switching out the vertical camera alignment for the rounded horizontal cutout in the 7T), etc.
    The list keeps getting longer.

Nshstephan likes this.
  17. hz19961005
    Eclair Nov 28, 2019

18. suraj1595
    Honeycomb Nov 28, 2019

suraj1595 , via OnePlus 6T , Nov 28, 2019 :
    It would be nice if Oneplus limited the Back gesture to just lower 1/5 th of the screen.

It's such a pain to open side tabs in apps in the new gestures.

Nemish gupta and thoma_hawk like this.
  19. thoma_hawk
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

thoma_hawk , Nov 28, 2019 :
    How do you open the side tabs now? I don't have many apps which have a very usable side panel. This is what I do if I need that:

One handed: Hold and swipe (I find it hard to do even a simple swipe, so I don't care)
    Two handed: Multi-touch/Reach out to hamburger icon (I find both simple enough).

20. suraj1595
    Honeycomb Nov 28, 2019

suraj1595 , via OnePlus 6T , Nov 28, 2019 :
    I never use my phone with 2 hands.. so I did try the first way you mentioned , didn't work for me.. So now i use Oneplus gestures not Google's..

Nemish gupta and thoma_hawk like this.