It's all in the details. Seamless Navigation on the OnePlus 7T

1. thoma_hawk
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

thoma_hawk , Nov 28, 2019 :
    This. I liked Samsung S10E's finger print scanner on the power button implementation.

I had similar feelings about gesture navigation but now that I'm used to this, I don't think I'll switch back.

Sayantan_Manna likes this.
  2. alaminnshaikh
    Eclair Nov 28, 2019

alaminnshaikh , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 28, 2019 :
    If Apple could do this why not Google?

3. thoma_hawk
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

thoma_hawk , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Google doesn't enforce things with an iron fist; Apple on the other hand, dictates the behavior and forces developers to create apps in ways they intended. Google has started to do this in some other areas (link), but I still think they won't be strict to dev's as much as Apple (because Google).

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  4. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 28, 2019

FlixbusLennart , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 28, 2019 :
    There are also two big issues with Google.
    (TLDR Android is a klusterfuk with over ten years of mismanagement behind it and the low financial power and fragmentation of Android customers are no incentives for app developers to clean up the mess that Google produced.)

Android is quite an old OS. 10 years of mismanagement and broken implementations are pretty much what sums up the Android system. A majority of Android devices are utter trash, purely because of the software they run. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to have freedom - Android and phones in general would not be nearly as good as they are now, hadn't there been the entity of Android that allowed everyone and their mom to create an OS. However, to fix 10 years of mismanagement, Google are going to need more than a blog post about a bunch of new APIs.

The second issue goes hand in hand with the mismanagement aspect - fragmentation and hacks. With hacks, I don't mean the "OnePlus user data stolen" hacks, but simple hacks that app developers had to do to get stuff to work basically. That issue is amplified by fragmentation.
    What does that mean? Take as an example the navigation bar. For years, there was this big three button navigation bar. OEMs are years ahead with gesture implementation, everyone is cooking their own soup, there are dozens of approaches as to how navigation bars look, behave and how they colour themselves. So, app developers have two ways to go:
    A) Look at every single implementation and add code to work with it.
    B) Say "F*** It" and just put some standard solution which only works with stock Android's approach.

Logically, the first way would be the one where the app has better quality. Practically, the second option is happening. Why? Android customers don't bring you money. It's not worth it. 5% of Android users run Android 10 with native gestures, I assume most of them still have a layer of OEM hacks for the navigation bar in place, hide it, or just don't care. It's not worth spending time for less than a per cent of the user base when they don't spend money whatsoever. OnePlus are also guilty of those little hacks, like changing the stock bar's colour from black to white.

5. matija646
    Jelly Bean Nov 28, 2019

matija646 , Nov 28, 2019 :
    personally, i really like the gestures, but my only wish is that we have option to remap / chose on which side is the back gesture
    left back gesture interferes with the slide hamburger menu on many apps, and reaching for the menu button is sometimes hard on a tall screen like this
    i know that you can first hold and swype from the left side for that menu, but option to choose or disable back gesture on left side would be nice addon to the system

6. GandharvaSharma96 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Agreed.

Give us the option to disable the left side of the "back swipe" gesture so it's easier to use the left sided menu slides in apps.

7. GandharvaSharma96 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Love the gestures. Very smooth and intuitive. Pleasure to use.

BUT, one addition is badly needed.

> Please add a gesture from the bottom of the screen to trigger the notification shade. For example, imagine if the Google Assistant gesture swipe from the corner of the screen was used to access the notification shade instead. It would make it a million times more convenient for everyone. Phones are very big nowadays and even with my big hands, reaching the top for the notification shade on my 7Pro is an unpleasant experience. This is a crucial next step, especially due to the Notification Shade being used extremely often by everyone.

Hope you guys at OnePlus listen :)

Good work. Cheers!

8. mahendragolla
    Eclair Nov 28, 2019

9. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 28, 2019

10. Sayantan_Manna
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

Sayantan_Manna , Nov 28, 2019 :

I agree completely. In my personal opinion, the fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S10e is the best combination of intelligent thinking and catering to customer satisfaction in the market currently.

The placement on the side and in place of a physical power button -
    • saves power (the screen doesn't have to be woken and shining a beacon in your face for each unlock),
    • is convenient enough to reach single-handedly due to placement,
    • can be accessed even with your eyes closed (due to the depressed cutout with respect to the side rail),
    • includes an easy to use gesture to slide down the notification panel (and can be toggled off if you don't like to accidentally trigger it),
    • a great solution for people who (for various reasons) may not be comfortable with using face unlock,
    • and MOST IMPORTANTLY, is much more reliable and faster than the current generation of in-display fingerprint scanners.

I'm sad to see that the (relatively) reliable leaks about the S11e all suggest that the S11e will do away with both the flat screen and the capacitive fingerprint scanner - the only two things (in my opinion) that made the S10e such a lovely little phone.

thoma_hawk likes this.
  11. Jordan marten_
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2019

Jordan marten_ , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 28, 2019 :
    It would be really awesome if you can add another gesture to enable split screen, now it takes multiple steps just to enable it, but before, it was just a double tap or a long press, maybe add a swipe like the one for the google assistant but from the left side to enable it #ExtraStuffingPlease

12. HZ_ND
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

14. guenole_k
    Froyo Nov 28, 2019

guenole_k , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Imma just show you the implementation I have.
    to be fair, I want an Edgar gesture to go back + open Google assistant. I did it with fluid navigation.
    I put the triggers on the 20% of the top screen. the rest doesn't have the triggers. OnePlus did the reverse. They put the edge triggers on 80% of the screen. the top 20% of the screen doesn't have. it's too high for a one hand usage.
    So keeping the bottom left and right to go back in addition of fluid navigation on the 20% top of the screen is perfect, to me

15. TanveerOP7
    Donut Nov 28, 2019

TanveerOP7 , via OnePlus 7 , Nov 28, 2019 :
    True!!! i was also sceptical about it first because i got used to the oneplus gesture navigation on my OP7 but when the new navigation came , i tried it and slowly i have fallen in love with it!!! Truely Seamless!!! I always say if android then Oneplus or Go for Iphone....

17. J1512300656518
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

18. Balkanikus
    Donut Nov 28, 2019

Balkanikus , Nov 28, 2019 :
    New back gestures are great, but it woul be nice if one of gestures (left or right) can be remapped to open certain app or to do an action...

19. Jav P
    Froyo Nov 28, 2019

Jav P , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Full gestures after Android 10 don't work so well with custom launchers and this is something that should be fixed. The animations going back to home screen are not so smooth and fast as they were with Pie and sometimes there is a annoying flash like a duplicated animation.

Custom launchers have been one of the reasons that makes Android great, please don't abandon them.

Nemish gupta likes this.
  20. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Nov 28, 2019

Horsault , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Custom launchers (Oneplus launcher being one of them) are developed by people who are responsible for adapting their software to the OS it's running on. A10 gestures are developed by Google, so Oneplus hs nothing to do here.