It's Time For a Change : Make way for Something Better.

1. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 22, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 22, 2021 :
    Traditions stop meaning anything when their meaning is lost, when their purpose is forgotten or they're repurposed for something entirely different from what they were intended to be.

One Such tradition is the LAB, brainchild of @meatandy the purpose of it's inception was to give you (us) the forums memebers the average users, an average user's perspective, ups and downs of an upcoming device from OnePlus.

A general user gets selected, he writes his review and akchually uses that device for foreseeable future (Instead of throwing it in a drawer) tells us it's ups and downs, things that sometimes a YouTube tech reviewer won't say, not in their "first impressions" at least, because no one's gonna send you a "reviewers kit" all the way to your home for free only to be humiliated in the first impressions video Right?

For example, see Jerryrig's Nord durability test video. The guy who roasts smartphones for failing his durability test said things like "Durability is just an aspect to consider", "even though it failed the test it's still a very good phone" and more, it got really cringy. (I stopped watching any of his videos after, not that I used to watch much but still) or Ask geekyranjit, an Indian youtuber who is blocked by OnePlus on twitter and doesn't receive any OnePlus review units because he criticised them.

So, for quite sometime it was really clear for us to differentiate marketing and the real deal, the LAB = Real deal, YouTube and other media = Marketing.

But then OnePlus started to look for marketing opportunities in the LAB as well, and came the parachute contestants, Instagrammers, Youtubers or shall I say "Influencers" and through that, we've found many gems but the Professional Phone Photographer remains to be the most notable, Sigh.

Moving on, Fast forward to now, look at the LAB 9 Series, or a few before that, while some great forum users get picked every now and then the number of Parachute contestants have grown over the time and with them comes other perks like Sugar coating, overhyping, almost not touching the cons, using Pro mode (which is acceptable to some extent) and other photography equipments for their camera reviews. Which destroys the whole purpose of the LAB.

I mean, a recent reviewer claims that the OnePlus 9's camera is so good thst he stopped using his DSLR... 9, not the 9 Pro, the one with no OIS and regular sensor :rolleyes: then some other guy makes use of studio lighting, equipments and even models to show the "capabilities" of the 9 Pro's camera , just to name a few, you'll see these pics, quotes and reviews on OnePlus's website and their social media channels.

But I'm not here to go crazy and call people names for that. been there, done it :rolleyes: , or to provide feedback to OnePlus, I'm here with a suggestion, and that is...

Pull the plug on the LAB and replace it with the device Experts program. It'll help to keep the marketing on the social media channels, outside of this place, send "Influencers" as many devices as the PR team requires no holding back, and through Expert program the users that contributes to these forum will be recognised and rewarded.

As photography seems to be one of the major aspects of the upcoming devices, Make photography experts a thing as well. Experts for general troubleshooting, Photography Experts for Camera tutorials and troubleshooting, I mean you get the idea. 🤷‍♂️

Well, It's just an Idea, since I don't get the point of the LAB anymore. Not that what I think matters, I'm just used to speak my mind. Anyway, Let me know what you think about this and the LAB in general

Aaaaaaaaaaand that's wrap.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021

2. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 22, 2021

3. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 22, 2021

meatandy , Apr 22, 2021 :
    Coincidentally we are thinking the exact same thing , actually changing the Lab concept has been on my mind since pre- OnePlus 8.

Hats off to you SJB because I was hoping to keep my ideas under my hat for a while longer.

4. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Apr 22, 2021

luigimario , Apr 22, 2021 :
    Good rant my friend! You make some very good arguments. Hopefully they revamp the program and get back to its roots.

5. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 23, 2021

McJader , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Agreed on all points, I don't remember, but I was discussing something similar with someone about how the LAB is no longer what it was meant to be.
    And the device experts things is also a good idea, recognising people who actually contribute on the forums.

6. eastbay
    Lollipop Apr 23, 2021

eastbay , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Is there a Lab? Oneplus needs an unbiased person to give me there take on some of these phones watches etc. So step up and do it. Don't just say your gonna, Your good!! Just can't focus on one thing on these phones.

7. GopalB.
    Nougat Apr 23, 2021

GopalB. , Apr 23, 2021 :
    India in a nutshell... :rolleyes:

He did that for few more oneplus phones and other phones too... Oneplus is the only brand that keeps asking him to do quirky things, so I'm sure he cares for that money...

Geeky who??? :grimacing:

You forgot to capitalize the P in photographer... Thats his actual title right??? :laughing:

MosheG1, buntycubal, meatandy and 6 others like this.
  8. GopalB.
    Nougat Apr 23, 2021

MosheG1, buntycubal, meatandy and 9 others like this.
  9. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 23, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Apr 23, 2021 :
    That's totally what was on my mind too

buntycubal, meatandy, Liehjan and 6 others like this.
  10. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 23, 2021 :
    All valid points raised by you. :)

Great idea but it seems that OnePlus is more interested in marketing gimmicks.

This idea should be accepted and implemented.
    OnePlus 9 series Experts is a good step taken in the right direction.

Jerryrigeverything make amends to this by giving "Least durable Smartphone Award of 2020 to Nord".
    Screenshot_20210423-080625.jpg

11. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Apr 23, 2021

Dresa91 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Great thread! Thank you:)
    All points are valid:)

buntycubal, Tobikage, eastbay and 6 others like this.
  12. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 23, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 23, 2021 :
    I thought this was the right time for it, besides you can take over the thread if you want :p
    That's what they say "We want you to be the next major tech influencer" :rolleyes:
    I mean that goes without saying y'know :rolleyes:
    For that you'll have to ask... Go on tag the people who can make it happen, let 'em hear what people think.
    The LAB died slowly, we've discussed debated and "brainstormed" many times on that. But I believe it's beyond fixing.
    We're gonna need less edge on that :rolleyes:
    OnePlus is also the only brand that acknowledge they made a mediocre product and something quirky needs to be done.
    [​IMG]
    Check again :rolleyes:
    I'd say your mouth is going a lot faster than its supposed to :rolleyes:
    That makes three of us!
    The LAB always had marketing potential, and lately they've been exploiting it more than they should.
    After all the sales happened and he made profits on dbrand skins, why not.
    I've been disappointed with LAB for a long time but I didn't wanted to rant but your post on one of the recent review made me realise I'm not the only one so here it is.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021

Tobikage, derLenno, meatandy and 8 others like this.
  13. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    OnePlus changed.
    And we have to deal with it 🤷🏼‍♂️

rhyd1am, Tobikage, meatandy and 6 others like this.
  14. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 23, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Well we are, aren't we? :rolleyes: that's how we deal with it.

15. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Absolutely;)

16. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Did they actually change? Can’t say much has changed since I joined tbh, just the obvious became more obvious!

rhyd1am, meatandy, Mr. BG and 2 others like this.
  17. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Yes, they did.

meatandy, SJBoss and Bobbie63 like this.
  18. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2021

I what way? Tbh I didn’t notice them doing different since 4 years or anything that wasn’t planned upfront.

19. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Simply how such actions and events were planned.

eastbay, SJBoss and Bobbie63 like this.
  20. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2021

Not sure what you exactly mean, you mean here on the community?

meatandy, SJBoss and Dresa91 like this.