[Jan 19 Update] An Update on Credit Card Security

1. Rick Manders KitKat Community Expert Apr 5, 2018

Rick Manders, Apr 5, 2018 :
    You're not actually surprised, are you? I mean, this is anti-Hype and does not compute.:rolleyes:

2. izzykasha Lollipop Apr 5, 2018

izzykasha, Apr 5, 2018 :
    not really surprised but still disgusted.

all that bollocks in the press about getting monitoring for all affected people making them sound good.

they did nothing.

anyone fancy alerting the press that they lied lol

G_plusone, eye842 and Rick Manders like this.
  3. eye842 Lollipop Apr 5, 2018

eye842, Apr 5, 2018 :
    No no they are working as fast as they do with security updates.

G_plusone likes this.
  4. murkr Eclair Apr 6, 2018

murkr, Apr 6, 2018 :
    Joke of a company! Not even an update... First and last OnepPlus handset I'll be buying.

G_plusone likes this.
  5. srd Eclair Apr 6, 2018

srd, Apr 6, 2018 :
    I got mine in the mail two days ago. Hang in there.

G_plusone likes this.
  6. Vitalogy1899 Cupcake Apr 11, 2018

Vitalogy1899, Apr 11, 2018 :
    I don't know if I should laugh, be mad or else...

After my credit card number has been stolen, I've taken the offer for a free credit monitoring service. Few days ago I received the letter from OnePlus with the instructions to sign up with AllClear ID.

HOWEVER, AllClear ID do not do business in Canada! They state:

We're unable to provide credit monitoring in Canada.
    At this time, Canadian credit monitoring is not available as a direct product to consumers. U.S. credit monitoring is available for purchase if you have a U.S. issued SSN and a current U.S. address.​

I tried to ignore this warning and register anyway but it's impossible. I cannot enter my mail adress (invalid zip code and my province/state is not a choice in the list).

Of course I've emailed OnePlus. I can't wait what they will say. Maybe they will search for another service available to Canadian... that will take another 3+ months. I'm wondering, how useful a credit monitoring is 6+ months after the hack?

EDIT:
    OnePlus confirm me that AllClear is their official partner for US and Canada. They suggest me to contact AllClear, so I did.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

G_plusone likes this.
  7. DanG31 Eclair Apr 15, 2018

DanG31, Apr 15, 2018 :
    what about blockchain payments? Is peicoin part of the precaution measures?

8. kaihp Jelly Bean Apr 19, 2018

eye842 and G_plusone like this.
  9. tarinaitwe Cupcake May 17, 2018

tarinaitwe, May 17, 2018 :
    It's very sad when Oneplus can't at-least partly compensate some of the affected customers to date when all efforts to recover the security breach losses from the financial institutions of the customers turn out to be futile. This is not professional at all especially when the customer has provided all the evidence!!

G_plusone and kaihp like this.
  10. izzykasha Lollipop May 30, 2018

izzykasha, May 30, 2018 :
    This storm.seems to have blown over with minimal fall out for Oneplus....how do they get away with it all lol

G_plusone likes this.
  11. eye842 Lollipop Jun 27, 2018

eye842, Jun 27, 2018 :
    Silence it to death. I never got any conformation or middle finger to my request of credit card monitoring.

G_plusone and kaihp like this.
  12. Uncle timmy Gingerbread Jun 27, 2018

Uncle timmy, Jun 27, 2018 :
    This is a disgusting company! I've been following this thread from the beginning and knew this would be swept under the rug since there was zero acknowledgement from senior management. Where is the follow up information and transparency from Oneplus? I really do feel for all affected by Oneplus's refusal to take any responsibility.
    I for one refuse to purchase anything from Oneplus again until the time they start making those that cannot be helped by their financial institutions whole. It was Oneplus's servers, they are fully responsible, period.
    I had purchased from their site via credit card one year before, cancelled my card and got reissued immediately when this came to light so I did not effected.
    I do enjoy my Oneplus phones, but I for one am done because I know with their track record you are all going to be ignored. Surprised no, disappointed yes.
    Good luck to you all.

kaihp, G_plusone and OPToxic like this.
  13. youarekiddingme Froyo Sep 7, 2018

youarekiddingme, Sep 7, 2018 :
    I thought I would return to this in light of the British Airways data breach which shows the following:

0. these things happen. I get that.
    1. this is how OP should have apologised
    2. BA will react, whereas OP covered it up.
    3. I will trust BA and continue to use them
    4. I will not trust OP and will not buy another OP

it's a shame. my OP5 is good, although the battery is fading now and the camera never did match the claims made.

let's see if this post get blocked, like my last one.

G_plusone likes this.
  14. jkb114 Lollipop Feb 25, 2019

jkb114, Feb 25, 2019 :
    Also
    "If a breach is likely to result in a high risk to the rights and freedoms of individuals, the GDPR says you must inform those concerned directly"
    They contacted those potentially effected, which is more than what they have to do under GDPR.
    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...ction-regulation-gdpr/personal-data-breaches/

I know you're annoyed and so are a lot of us but they did what was required and these things can happen.

15. valivinturis Donut Feb 25, 2019

valivinturis, Feb 25, 2019 :
    No they did not, I was also affected and never notified, so shut the **** up with the bullshit.

Where do you shiny warriors defending them come from anyway? How do you know they contacted everyone, to come here and contradict someone who says they weren't notified?

Deactivated User likes this.
  16. jkb114 Lollipop Feb 25, 2019

jkb114, Feb 25, 2019 :
    How do you know you were affected by this one? Data breaches happen quite frequently. Card fraud happens even more commonly. It's very very easy to get hold of peoples card details, even walking past someone with a contactless card is enough these days and so could have happened there.
    Also emails can end up in spam, that happens.
    also None of what I said above was false.
    We don't know that they didn't contact you, what makes what you say more believable than them?

17. valivinturis Donut Feb 25, 2019

Man I told you to cut the bullshit. In 15 years of using cards no one has ever leaked/lost my details. ZERO fraudulent transactions. The only one occurs 4 days after these problems surface. Maybe it is a common problem for you, if you use crap security sites like theirs.

I know everything that lands in spam, I work with emails every day, I am better at email management than you are at walking.

You said they contacted everybody affected, that was a lie. Please show me what your proof is for this lie.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019

Deactivated User likes this.
  18. jkb114 Lollipop Feb 25, 2019

jkb114, Feb 25, 2019 :
    Well you're clearly quite lucky but stats show its quite frequent.
    Who doesn't use emails every day... and you must be a great email manager because I can walk like most people (not sure where that comparison came from)
    I'm taking their word, otherwise there would have been fines imposed from the ICO as detailed in the link I posted above...
    Please can you show me your proof they didn't attempt to contact you? for all I know you could have missed the email or just deleted it. I don't know you from Joe (and you don't know me either - FYI I work in cyber security for a financial organisation...)

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  19. valivinturis Donut Feb 25, 2019

Owwwwk, then this is where we end our conversation.

And yes, I am a great email manager.

My proof is the lack of notification you say they sent :))

Bye

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019

20. Deactivated User Feb 25, 2019

valivinturis likes this.