Join our OnePlus 5T AMA now!

1. G_ToXiC_ToXiC_hcpQ Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

G_ToXiC_ToXiC_hcpQ, Dec 8, 2017 :
    I find that a dubious argument. With the fuss you made boasting about the quality of the integrated memory that risk should be quite low... Partitioning beeing risky ? Turning the phone on is risky as well you know...
    In 2017 soon 2018 I can't understand that you still can't follow the monthly rollup of security fixes (My OP5 has got nothing new since october the 31st that actually included security fixes only until september...), but if you refuse to get up to speed delivering the upgrades, at least opt in when the provider of these upgrades offers to push them for you !
    Choose the one or the other, but I'm not satisfied with the "w'ere not taking treble and we're still taking our sweet time to push upgrades" answer ! What exactly are you realy doing to improve the rate at which you release the upgrades ?

2. anupritaisno1 Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2017

anupritaisno1, Dec 8, 2017 :
    No you should shut up

If I think something is wrong then I will argue

Did you pay oneplus for treble? Did they promise you treble? No??? Then you got no right to fight about it

I bet truth hurts and even more so when I'll say that asking for treble won't change the fact that you're broke

"Customer is always right?" utter bs and think I'll let you get away with it?

3. anupritaisno1 Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2017

And another guy who blindly trusts the security patch date in his settings

The real security patch date for oneplus 5 and 5t is 1st August 2017 on 7.1

4. G_ToXiC_ToXiC_hcpQ Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

and how does that very nice message from you so kindly insulting me helps in getting the message through ? does it contain some hidden information on what OP is doing to increase their pace for upgrade that I somehow missed reading your post?

5. anupritaisno1 Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2017

Security patches go in the kernel too, who h isn't directly covered by treble

Treble can give quite the false sense of security. Fast forward 2 years you'll be on Android R but you'll have 2017's security patches because treble doesn't cover the Linux kernel and that's where 90% of your security patches go

For a statistic I've patched 15,122 vulnerabilities on the oneplus 2 Linux kernel in the last 8 months alone. Think treble makes you secure? It doesn't. Sometimes I have to pull in fixes 3-4 times a day

6. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 8, 2017

rarog, Dec 8, 2017 :
    The upgrades aren't pushed by Google. Not even with Treble. It's speculated that this might perhaps happen somewhere in the future, but this is neither implemented nor is there any roadmap for this.

7. anupritaisno1 Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2017

This can happen but would significantly increase boot time

8. G_ToXiC_ToXiC_hcpQ Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

and yet I couldn't find your name on git.kernel.org, how strange...

9. F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC Donut Dec 8, 2017

F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC, Dec 8, 2017 :
    Some developers noticed the harddrive where the sdf partitons are located is 1.5gb on the op5/5t and only 5 partitions with the average size of 2mb are located there. Further investigation showed that the rest of the partition ~1,4gb+ is unused space which means it is blank and not even partitioned. This again means we can actually create a vendor partition using the 1,4gb unused space and it wouldnt even require formating the other 5 sdf partitions since the partition created would be made using the unused & yet unpartitioned space. It will only require a single wipe of the created venodor partition and we are ready to go. Oneplus please cooperate.
    And since when we change partition layouts over the air. Thats a joke right?

1. We need oneplus to prepare the vendor files so they meet the requirements for treble.

2. We need a tool which will create a partition on the sdf drive by using its unused space (without formating other partitions)
    The tool must notice if the vendor partition is already there and cancel if so to avoid bricks in case someone accidentally repeates the partitioning action.
    (Maybe even an option to remove the vendor partition without deleting the other sdf partitions ,not sure if this also works on android)

3. We need an explicit guide for that tool and warnings.

Please make this happen it wont even wipe anything doing it this way.

Also google says they help oems to support treble. So why you "settle" for oneplus?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

10. anupritaisno1 Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2017

This is the worst idea ever

You're playing with the EFS partition. Need I say more?

11. F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC Donut Dec 8, 2017

I know how risky this sounds but if oneplus makes the tool it can be bullet proof they also could include a backup function in case something goes wrong. The tool can simply backup everything before the procedure and since its just like 10mb on that partition its not a big task.
    And in theory no not playing with the partitions. playing with the unused space thats there. Space that doesnt belong to any partition yet.

12. anupritaisno1 Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2017

That space does belong to the EFS partition, just an FYI. No space is left unpartitioned

You can attempt to repartition using one of the leaked unbrick tools however. Maybe you should try and let me know how it goes

13. F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC Donut Dec 8, 2017

It is unpartitioned and there are only 5 sdf partitions which are all together not more than 10mb. The rest really belongs to nothing.

And phhusson who helped getting treble on Huawei mate9 also guesses that the space is blank. He is not sure if its partitioned or not because on oneplus5t we couldnt find it yet which could mean its unpartitioned. and on op5 it is called "last parti" and is empty.

But if this is all to risky he also has a safe alternative which should work
    https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/blob/master/no-vendor/README

And oneplus should try it, not we.

on oneplus5 it maybe looks lile a partition yes.
    But we didnt see it on the 5t
    8 80 1572864 sdf
    8 81 2048 sdf1
    8 82 2048 sdf2
    8 83 2048 sdf3
    8 84 4 sdf4
    8 85 512 sdf5

Some one who is rooted on op5 or op5t should try

dd if=/dev/sdf of=/sdcard/sdf-dump

In adb shell.

I ment sdf not efs rly sry

14. F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC Donut Dec 8, 2017

Again just noticed im really sorry its not efs partition its sdf (efs is located there)
    We just confirmed its also there on oneplus3
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/how-to/oneplus-3-partition-table-t3418410
    He says:
    1572864 sdf
    2048 modemst1 -> /dev/block/sdf1 (EFS1, I suppose)
    2048 modemst2 -> /dev/block/sdf2 (EFS2, I suppose)
    4 fsc -> /dev/block/sdf3
    512 md5 -> /dev/block/sdf4

So its related to efs after all this still doesnt explain why sdf is so big

OnePlus5:/ # sgdisk —print /dev/block/sdf
    Disk /dev/block/sdf: 393216 sectors, 1.5 GiB
    Logical sector size: 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 98101B32-BBE2-4BF2-A06E-2BB33D000C20
    Partition table holds up to 32 entries
    First usable sector is 6, last usable sector is 393210
    Partitions will be aligned on 1-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 391540 sectors (1.5 GiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
    1 6 517 2.0 MiB FFFF modemst1
    2 518 1029 2.0 MiB FFFF modemst2
    3 1030 1541 2.0 MiB FFFF fsg
    4 1542 1542 4.0 KiB FFFF fsc
    5 1543 1670 512.0 KiB FFFF md5
    6 1671 393210 1.5 GiB FFFF last_parti

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017

netllocke likes this.
  15. subaash Gingerbread Dec 9, 2017

subaash, Dec 9, 2017 :
    I'm a customer and i can do shit.. You can't because you never gone through what one plus 2 owners like me did last time and now one plus 5 owners. I paid for my device you didn't pay for me nor one plus gave it for charity.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017

16. F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC Donut Dec 9, 2017

F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC, Dec 9, 2017 :
    Here the proof that we can use sdf to create a vendor partition.

it says 387072 unallocated sectors in sdf unallocated sectors in sdf

Which is 1,548,288 KB

Attached Files:

17. helderfp Gingerbread Dec 9, 2017

helderfp, Dec 9, 2017 :
    After reading all coments in here about treble my conclusion is, Oneplus does not suport treble because they dont want and some guys in here are so blind that they "eat ice creams with their foreheads" and keep defending oneplus.
    It is just a market strategy from oneplus for not give us treble. I know that oneplus has no obligation to do it but they can do it if they want.
    What is their slogan? "Never settle" so if customers are complaining about their decision they are just doing what oneplus want, that is "Never Settle"

18. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 9, 2017

rarog, Dec 9, 2017 :
    Do you mean usage of space past sdf5 as new partition sdf6?

19. F_Naci_Aslandogan_UgjC Donut Dec 10, 2017

20. anupritaisno1 Jelly Bean Dec 10, 2017

anupritaisno1, Dec 10, 2017 :
    Ah sorry I own the oneplus 2 and honestly except for the camera HALs you really didn't "go through" anything

Also experimental hal3 ports are available so what's the whole issue here?