Join our OnePlus 9 Series AMA – Ask Me Anything

1. Leo X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 23, 2021

Leo X. , Mar 23, 2021 :
    AMA-forum.png

Hello everyone,

This is Leo again, returning with a good old launch event tradition – our Community AMA – to help answer all your questions about the freshly-released OnePlus 9 Series. As usual, we've invited people from multiple relevant teams, to cover as many areas as possible.

So, please, join me in welcoming our guests for this OnePlus 9 Series AMA:

You can submit your question until March 26, 5 pm HKT. Then, our guests will start to answer your questions from March 28.

Rules:
    • Each user is only allowed to ask one question.
    • We will give away 10 Lemonade Swags to 10 random users who asked questions. To help ensure quality entries, we'll only reward posts with more than 20 words.
    • Ensure your question is related to the OnePlus 9 Series or OnePlus Watch
    • Remember to tag the relevant staff member you want to ask your question to.
    • Before you type in your question, please do check the forum if anyone has already asked the question you want to know.
    • Considering your questions may have already been asked by other Community friends, we recommend you to give those questions likes instead of creating a duplicated one.
    • Standard terms and conditions applied.

2. Jimmy Z.
    Camera Product Manager Staff Member Mar 30, 2021

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z. , Mar 30, 2021 :
    We are already working on switching cameras in Pro mode. It requires more time to meet Hasselblad's high standard of RAW format in terms of color calibration. We believe it will be released within months.

3. Jimmy Z.

Stickied Post
    It's already supported.

4. Jimmy Z.

Stickied Post
    The partnership with Hasselblad is a long term partnership with aim to define new standard of mobile phone camera system and will include hardware collaboration in the future. It can be expected to have deeper and closer collaboration with Hasselblad and bring better camera performance in the future.

5. Jimmy Z.

Stickied Post
    The partnership will always focus on newer and higher standard of image quality. We will also try to bring some new experience to older users. But for now editing tool is not a high priority.

6. Jimmy Z.

Stickied Post
    We would like to bring more versatility of photography to the camera and the mono camera can achieve classic B&W style photo with finer tone and details.

7. Jimmy Z.

Stickied Post
    The cooperation between OnePlus and Hasselblad came from the pursuit of better image quality by both parties. The understanding, technology and experience accumulated by Hasselblad in the field of professional photography have given OnePlus a lot of valuable help, especially in color accuracy and natural color rendering. Higher standards also mean more difficult development and tuning. For example, our original color tuning algorithm can no longer meet the higher color accuracy standards, so we re-developed color calibration algorithm under the guidance of Hasselblad.

8. Aaron.W
    Global Product Team Staff Member Mar 30, 2021

Stickied Post
    Aaron.W , Mar 30, 2021 :
    It's a cost-cutting measure and a design choice to reduce the weight of the device. When I personally first saw the sample, I can't distinguish which one is the real metal one. We did a lot of tests, and the new fibre glass frame is so good that most people couldn't tell the difference. We also did a lot of work to guarantee the durability.

9. Aaron.W
    Global Product Team Staff Member Mar 30, 2021

Stickied Post
    Aaron.W , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I would not compare with these two, there are many elements involved in the power consumption, such as cameras, OnePlus 9 Pro cameras have slightly higher power consumption than OnePlus 9.

10. Raymond Z.
    Product Manager Staff Member Mar 31, 2021

Stickied Post
    Raymond Z. , Mar 31, 2021 :
    OnePlus watch uses a three-chip combination solution, which is ST32 + Apollo 3 + Cypress

• The ST chip has strong performance and is responsible for the UI interactive interface, the display also been processed by the ST chip, giving users a very smooth system experience.
    • The Apollo 3 chip is a low power consumption chip. As a platform for various sensors, it supports staying online for a long time, which is convenient for users to record sports and health data for a long time.
    • Cypress is a professional Bluetooth communication chip that supports the Bluetooth calls and Bluetooth music functions of the watch.
    The three-chip combination solution, with each chip performs its own role, can maximize system efficiency and reduce power consumption, and finally achieve the coexistence of long battery life and high frame display experience

11. Raymond Z.
    Product Manager Staff Member Mar 31, 2021

Stickied Post
    Raymond Z. , Mar 31, 2021 :
    We’ve heard many users request the always-on display, we are now evaluating it with the power consumption and planning to add this feature with options to turn on or off, and possible to have it after OTA. Also, I’d like to take this chance to know how you think if with AOD turn on, it could lose nearly half of the power loss?

12. Kinder L.
    Head of R&D Staff Member Mar 31, 2021

Stickied Post
    Kinder L. , Mar 31, 2021 :
    It should satisfy the majority storage needs of a normal user, and with the development of the cloud storage method, users can store their pictures and videos in a reasonable and diversified manner.

13. Joey Sun
    Product Manager Staff Member Apr 1, 2021

Stickied Post
    Joey Sun , Apr 1, 2021 :
    When designing OnePlus products, we believe they should have a thin profile and textured design to ensure that, while performance and gaming experience is there, it can be used as a daily driver by everyone.

In recent years, the popularity of smartphones and the continuous improvement in their performance have made mobile games and even mobile e-sports popular. We have always noticed a high pursuit of performance and gaming experience by our users, as well as for devices that can be used for daily life scenario.

We are always looking for different solutions. We hope that our users can have a bigger sense of control when they are enjoying their favorite games while not losing the practicability when they are not in the gaming mood. Therefore, through something like a game back clip, users can change their gaming set up at any time and have a better in-game performance. Multi-finger collaboration, running, aiming, and shooting can all be better coordinated. And with the back clips off, the OnePlus 9R is still perfect for your daily usage.

And our 9R supports a 240Hz sampling rate for 5 fingers, so, even when adding two game back clips, you can still achieve accurate and fast response.

14. Tom B.
    Global Service Strategy Operations Staff Member Apr 1, 2021

Stickied Post
    Tom B. , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Hello @the_o2! Thanks for asking! :)
    We started working on our support expansion with the product launch plan and successfully implemented a new contact center with bifurcated skill sets to handle your queries about the Phone, TV, and IoT products to ensure a smoother launch experience for our users. This also includes after-sales support expansion for a better turnaround time across all regions.

15. Leo X.
    Community Team Staff Member Apr 1, 2021

Stickied Post
    Leo X. , Apr 1, 2021 :
    I have taken some photos when our team discussing how to answer your questions, find out some small Easter egg inside the image maybe?:rolleyes:

(Any familiar faces in the pic?)

未命名-.jpg 未命名--2.jpg 未命名--3.jpg 未命名--7.jpg 未命名--8.jpg

16. Tom B.
    Global Service Strategy Operations Staff Member Apr 1, 2021

Stickied Post
    Tom B. , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Hey there @S1589186422843! Currently, our users can reach out to OnePlus Support via Voice, E-mail, Live-chat, and Social media channels. Let me know if you are referring to any specific channel, we can look into it. Thank you!

17. Raymond Z.
    Product Manager Staff Member Apr 7, 2021

Stickied Post
    Raymond Z. , Apr 7, 2021 :
    KaranRIyer
    The OnePlus Watch uses a smart wear operating system developed based on RTOS, which is smooth, reliable and offers significant battery performance advantages, which we feel best meets our target users' needs.

Other than battery life, we imported the high-frame display debugging experience into the OnePlus Watch to address the stutter performance that is sometimes seenin RTOS. We worked on optimizing the bottom layer of the display architecture, improving the fluency of more than 50 scenes, and changing the display frame rate from the industry’s usual 30 fps to more than 50 fps,making the OnePlus Watch probably one of the smoothest smartwatches with long battery life available in the market today.

OnePlus Watch does not support third-party applications at the moment. But OnePlus Health supports data synchronization to Google fit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021

KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  18. Raymond Z.

Stickied Post
    johneebee
    The accuracy has passed the OnePlus laboratory test, but we don’t recommend that you use it as a professional medical device.

johneebee, KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  19. Raymond Z.

Stickied Post
    Praty_28
    OnePlus Watch provide up to 14 days of battery life. Even for heavy usage, it can provide approximately 7 days’ battery life.

Praty_28, KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  20. Raymond Z.

Stickied Post
    Vigneshxchan
    The OnePlus Watch will get OTA and functional updates. OnePlus Watch does not support third-party applications at the moment, but many different apps and functions were provided in the watch to meet our users' needs.

KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  21. Raymond Z.

Stickied Post
    HeadQuaker69
    The Cobalt edition does not contains nickel material.

22. Raymond Z.

Stickied Post
    hennes
    The OnePlus Watch uses a smart wear operating system developed based on RTOS, which is smooth, reliable and offers significant battery performance advantages, which we feel best meets our target users' needs.

Other than battery life, we imported the high-frame display debugging experience into the OnePlus Watch to address the stutter performance that is sometimes seenin RTOS. We worked on optimizing the bottom layer of the display architecture, improving the fluency of more than 50 scenes, and changing the display frame rate from the industry’s usual 30 fps to more than 50 fps,making the OnePlus Watch probably one of the smoothest smartwatches with long battery life available in the market today.

OnePlus Watch does not support third-party applications at the moment. But OnePlus Health supports data synchronization to Google fit.

hennes, Praty_28, KaranRIyer and 2 others like this.
  23. Kinder L.
    Head of R&D Staff Member Apr 9, 2021

Stickied Post
    Kinder L. , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Ultra-wide camera and the 50W wireless charging.

KaranRIyer, TibiTibi and Dresa91 like this.
  24. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Apr 9, 2021

Stickied Post
    Pete , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Since OnePlus works with carrier partners in different sales regions to design and customize products, there may be differences in some features across different regions. For example, we added 15W Qi wireless charging to the OnePlus 9 in some markets due to carrier requirements.

For wired charging, OnePlus 9 uses an updated dual-battery charging technology solution for the new OnePlus Warp Charge 65T, which can charge the phone from 1% to 100% in about 29 minutes. The charging speed stays constantly fast even when users are gaming and charging at the same time

KaranRIyer, the_o2, Dr_Mridul and 6 others like this.
  25. Kinder L.

Stickied Post
    On the OnePlus 9 Pro, we use an aluminum alloy middle frame.

On OnePlus 9, in order to reduce the weight of the body and create the ultimate light and thin feel, we adopted a new middle frame design. Its interior is aluminum-magnesium alloy and the exterior is glass fiber reinforced polymer.

At the same time, we used a customized special process to achieve a unique high-brightness texture. The cost of this solution is equivalent to that of a traditional aluminum alloy frame.

The actual texture is also great. Welcome to test it out or find some feedback from our The Lab reviewers.;);)

26. Kinder L.

Stickied Post
    Thanks for your question Luigi, I enjoy the crisp shutter sound inspired by Hasselblad's iconic leaf shutter every time when I press the shutter button and the Hasselblad color enhancement to every photo. I especially love when shooting buildings with an ultra-wide angle, the sense of space and vision are very shocking, as well as shooting the scenery and night scenes.:D:D But I'm not sure what @Pete love most

27. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 23, 2021

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021

28. Sylvester.David
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021

29. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Mar 23, 2021

Overzee , Mar 23, 2021 :
    Thanks @Leo X. for this AMA. Let me cook up a great question!

I've go a question for @Raymond Z. about the OnePlus Watch Cobalt limited edition. During the Launch Event the speaker was explaining the quality assurance standards for the OnePlus Watch Cobalt limited edition: "...the material is so typical to work with that 50% of all the watch samples are rejected, but the other 50% that do end up getting on your wrist..." With all the environmental programs in place, it made me think the following:

@Raymond Z.:
    "When 50% of the (Cobalt) watch samples are rejected, how does OnePlus see their role in making sure these valuable metals are re-used or recycled properly and how does this process work at this moment, because we are all looking for a more sustainable future?"

Got the inspiration for this AMA question because of @Livingston Bach's post in another thread on the community forum. Let's see is if Raymond Z. is willing to explain this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021

30. H.S.S
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

31. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 23, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 23, 2021 :
    Thanks @Leo X. :)

my question goes to @Gary C.
    Now that HydrogenOS has been dumped by OnePlus in China, what will happen to OxygenOS? Is the team growing with/around the developers of HydrogenOS?
    What can we expect as OxygenOS users with it?
    And, how personally did this decision affect you? :(

VeDxnTa, otto2, bealj89 and 19 others like this.
  32. raj.v21
    Gingerbread Mar 23, 2021

raj.v21 , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 23, 2021 :
    Do we have anything like Dex/dock starting with OnePlus 9 series? Windows android ecosystem for OnePlus is missing.

Also, if you can share details about OnePlus 9R

33. sam311
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 23, 2021

34. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 23, 2021

ShreyasPatil_ , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 23, 2021 :
    @Raymond Z. Can you explain the technical specifications of the OnePlus Watch like the processor, internal memory, ram and battery capacity in detail? Also can we use the 65W charger of 8T to charge the OnePlus Watch?

35. Sylvester.David
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

Sylvester.David , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 23, 2021 :
    I guess your last question is irrelevant

36. G_plusone
    Nougat Mar 23, 2021

G_plusone , Mar 23, 2021 :
    @Pete @Jerry Z.
    Do you think the 9 series and the Watch are reasonably priced?
    What was the high and low Prices that the team went before deciding on the current price?

37. Jabbarov
    Donut Mar 23, 2021

Jabbarov , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 23, 2021 :
    When would the OnePlus 9 Series and the OnePlus Watch be available in Dubai, UAE? Would the accessories be available as well once the devices are available?

38. Ayush_d
    Froyo Mar 23, 2021

39. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 23, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 23, 2021 :
    Only one question ;)
    Rules:
    • Each user is only allowed to ask one question.

40. ceven2k
    Cupcake Mar 23, 2021

ceven2k , Mar 23, 2021 :
    Hello there and thank you for this amazing presentation! I had a lot of fun.
    @Tom B. Is it possible that there is literatelly no suppot for, let's the say specific countries like Germany and will there be one in the future? I find it pretty hard to reach, get in contact or receive any feedback, when it comes to problems. If there wouldn't be helpful users in the forum, it would be really, really, really bad. Sorry to say that. But for a premium product, I expect better. And I used to work 3 years for customer service like Versace, Converse or other big names.

Please take the question below as my one question, if the above counts as the 2nd one :)

@Jerry Z. I don't know if your are the right person to talk to, but will there be a trade programm, which features the plus 9? I have just bought my 8 plus pro, 1 year ago.

Thank you very much.

sandi_developer and KaranRIyer like this.
  41. Sandeep Poddar
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

42. pkg3107
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord , Mar 23, 2021 :
    @Jimmy Z.
    There were specific spotlight on features like the edge-distortion and natural colour output. My question was based on day-to-day situations, in which the lighting might not be appropriate.
    So, will these features be affected in low-light and unsuitable conditions ?

43. Girish.Pranav
    Jelly Bean Mar 23, 2021

Girish.Pranav , Mar 23, 2021 :
    Yes, thank you @Leo X. was waiting for this.
    here's my question to @Aaron.W , @Pete and @Jimmy Z.:
    The camera seems to be really great. Thanks to your extreme efforts with Hasselblad.
    What was working with Hasselblad like? How did both companies implement the camera tech on a phone and get the quality which could only be achieved by heavy DSLRs out there?

44. PritishPriyam
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

45. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 23, 2021