KABLAM: World's strongest screen protector !

1. Warr10r7
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2014

Warr10r7 , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Folks,

There appears to be a good alternative option for a strong screen protector for the OnePlus One. It recently launched as a Kickstarter campaign at the following URL:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/582710766/kablam-worlds-strongest-screen-protector

I'm not saying that their claims of being the world's strongest are true but it definitely looks like an affordable ($12 in the US, $13 elsewhere) good alternative. They claim that they will custom make it for any phone (or multiple other devices). I have already posted a question to confirm that they will support the OnePlus One. I will edit this post once I get a response.

Let me know what you guys think?

I don't have an invite yet but I'm hoping that I will get one soon. I'm fairly committed to getting a OnePlus One so I was starting to look for viable accessories.

Best of luck to everyone in getting an invite soon!

Thanks.

UPDATE 1:
    They have officially confirmed that they will definitely support the OnePlus One. They will also be posting a video next week with a phone with a larger screen. I've asked that it be at minimum 5" so we can get a better sense of how well it works with larger phones. So far this is looking quite promising.

UPDATE 2:
    They posted the following in their updates; thought you guys might like the part where they acknowledge that it is a bad video:

-----------------------
    Q: "How come your prices are so cheap?"

A: We have cut many of our costs for this product in order to bring you amazing quality at an affordable price.

1) We use a laser cutter to cut each screen protector, which allows us to offer screen protectors for any device. We don't have to purchase large quantities of screen protectors, which dramatically lowers our prices.

2) We are offering Kablam screen protectors at a wholesale price.

3) We cut out all the little things that bring up your costs. We decided to go away with press release companies, fancy expensive videos (yes we understand our video might not be the best quality out there), and expensive web design.
    -----------------------

UPDATE 3 (Aug. 11th):

Just wanted to update that they got to their stretch goal. This means that any backer pledging $24 or more will get an extra free screen protector for any device. For most people, it works out to 3 screen protectors for the price of 2.

I also clarified how they will ensure a perfect fit for new (hard to get) devices like the One Plus One. Apparently, they have software that has a database that is continually updated with the detailed measurement specs of new devices (they already have the specs for the OPO) and they use it with their laser cutter to custom cut a perfect fit.

Also, there are only 6 days left so if you are interested, now is the time to back the project. Remember, they will start shipping at the end of this month.

UPDATE 4 (Aug. 11th): VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

The project was suspended by Kickstarter. It is not clear as to what the issue is but I want to apologize to everyone for suggesting this project, especially those that backed the project and like me, were eagerly waiting on receiving the screen protector for their OPO.

I can only recommend that people go with the Rhino Shield. They started on Kickstarter but are now a well-established company with a fantastic reputation. Obviously they are relatively expensive at $25 but it makes sense to ensure a quality protection, especially given the fact that the OPO screen protrudes and is thus more susceptible to scratches and cracks.

Again, sorry to everyone of any inconvenience. Obviously, I has no idea there would be an issue.

UPDATE 5 (Aug. 12th): Re-launched on Indiegogo

For those that are interested, they have relaunched on Indiegogo. Thanks @dracinn for letting me know.

The link to the new campaign is as follows:

http://igg.me/p/902898/x/5227109

Let me know if you decide to back them again or not.

Cheers...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

2. brolaire
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2014

Jorrick Sleijster likes this.
  3. Warr10r7

I'm hoping that over the course of the campaign, they post more videos; preferably with other model phones (larger screen) so we get a better sense.

4. peggman
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

5. Nomelas

Nomelas , Jun 19, 2014 :
    The problem i see with this is how much thicker it will make the phone/screen

6. Paulquito21
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2014

basrone and colemanv like this.
  7. peggman
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

peggman , Jun 19, 2014 :
    It will just make the phone a little bit thicker. Not that much of a problem for me.

8. Thijs

Thijs , Jun 19, 2014 :
    "They claim that they will custom make it for any phone" Do they know there are thousands of phones out there?

EDIT : I read the kickstarter, its laser cut

Dexter Morgan likes this.
  9. Warr10r7

Is it not consistent in thickness with other hard screen protectors ?

I thought it was.

10. peggman
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

peggman , Jun 19, 2014 :
    They will laser cut it.

Warr10r7 likes this.
  11. Warr10r7

That's why I posed the specific question about the OnePlus One. I needed to make sure.

12. Nomelas

Nomelas , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Yeah which is why I don't like it :/

13. kallekula33
    Lollipop Jun 19, 2014

kallekula33 , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Sounds good! I was thinking about the Nillkin Nanometer H screen protector otherwise. Price around 9-10 US$ on Ali.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

14. kazater
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2014

15. Warr10r7

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of **********. Bad previous experience. :( That is a good price though.

Please let me know what you end up deciding and how it works out.

Thanks.

16. superchinook
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2014

superchinook , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Interesting; so they are claiming same protection as another manufacturor that started on Kickstarter, the Rhino Shield, but at a cheaper price :D If they show they have the goods, but at cheaper price, I'd buy that. Rhino Shield has gotten some flaks about it being too thick...this is thinner, albeit by 0.03 mm only. :)

17. Dexter Morgan
    Community Veteran Jun 19, 2014

Halfpintumbler and one5168 like this.
  18. Warr10r7

19. Dexter Morgan
    Community Veteran Jun 19, 2014

Dexter Morgan , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Yes of course. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when I receive it and thanks! :D

Warr10r7 likes this.
  20. Warr10r7

Yep it would be great if it is as good as the Rhino Shield. It is half the price (for now) so it would make for a great deal. :D