Kernel sources and Android Q Beta (Developer Preview) for the OnePlus 7 Series

1. Manu J. Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member May 20, 2019

Manu J., May 20, 2019 :
    forum q7s.png

Hey everyone,

We just announced our newest devices! If you aren't up to speed on the OnePlus 7 Series, be sure to check out the announcement thread for all the details.

OxygenOS is arguably the best OEM implementation of Android out there, and, on the OnePlus 7 Series, it has only gotten better. The amazing thing with Android, though, is its open nature. We are committed to helping the wonderful developer community that has blossomed and grown alongside it.

We had an Open Ears Forum with our Developer community in the first week of May and we are currently working on our commitments in order to further help improve our relationship with the entire Dev community.

With the OnePlus 3, we started a tradition – to support our developer community by releasing the kernel sources as early as possible. We’re all extremely excited to find out what all the Devs out there will conjure up for the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro.

The kernel sources for the OnePlus 7 Pro can be downloaded right now on our Github page, the sources for OnePlus 7 will be updated soon.

We have released Android Q Developer preview for OnePlus 6 and 6T right after Google I/O, and now we are super excited to offer OnePlus 7 Series users an early glimpse at the future of Android.

As the name suggests, this build of Android Q is best suited for developers and early adopters. As it is still in an early stage of development, we do not recommend flashing this ROM if you have little or no experience in software development or flashing custom ROMs. Proceed at your own risk!

Caution: You should understand the risk of BRICKING your phone, read the instructions carefully and be 100% sure of what you are doing, and please always backup your important data before flashing.

Known Issues
    1. Ambient Display is not working
    2. System stability issues
    3. Cannot send SMS when VoLTE is on
    4. Navigation gesture is not working
    5. Recovery mode doesn't work
    6. Some apps may not function as expected when running on this Developer preview release
    7. Issue with MTP that doesn't allow you to copy rollback file from PC to Phone
    Please note: This instruction is only for OnePlus 7/7 Pro, and please make sure the battery level is above 30% and minimum 3GB of available storage space.

MP version = Stable official version
    DP version = Developer Preview version

MP to DP upgrade guide—via Local OTA Update
    Note: This upgrade method will erase all the contents of the phone, please be sure to backup first.

1. Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from the specified server.
    2. Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
    5. Phone will boot into recovery mode to format user data, it will reboot again after formatting.
    6. Update successful.​

DP to MP rollback guide - via Local OTA update
    Note: This upgrade method will erase all the contents of the phone, please be sure to backup first.

1. Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from the specified server.
    2. Copy the Rollback package to the phone storage.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
    5. Phone will boot into recovery mode to format user data, it will reboot again after formatting.
    6. Update successful.​

Ready to get started on the Android Q Beta?

Want to go back to Android Pie? Download the Rollback package from the links below:
    As always, please share your feedback through https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/.

Never Settle

2. Abhi Dahiya Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2019

Abhi Dahiya, May 20, 2019 :
    OnePlus does seem to be stepping up software game. 4 devices with Android Q developer preview as opposed to only 1 or 2 devices from other brands [e]1f44c[/e]

Good Job.

3. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

KeepTransisting, May 20, 2019 :
    @Manu J. it's really awesome that y'all got this out so fast, but it might be a good idea to not call it a "Beta" in the title when it's not really even close to that amount of stability. I worry that it gives the wrong idea to people who like to flash things willy nilly :p

4. meatandy Nougat May 20, 2019

5. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

6. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow May 20, 2019

idkwhoiam322, May 20, 2019 :
    Does this mean the source is NOT unified for the 7 and 7 pro? :/

7. Some_Random_Username Honeycomb May 20, 2019

8. Moin2200 KitKat May 20, 2019

Moin2200, May 20, 2019 :
    Awesome! Thanks for the hard work.

AND PEOPLE PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A PREVIEW.

B.yashaswi, xnutzii, B_Wrath and 4 others like this.
  9. SJBoss KitKat May 20, 2019

SJBoss, May 20, 2019 :
    I hope you know what Developer Preview means? If not I’d advice you to research a little before... saying something like that.

10. kannaa_kr Froyo May 20, 2019

kannaa_kr, May 20, 2019 :
    Yayyy! Finally! I've been waiting from the day I got my 7Pro. Can't wait for the exciting things ahead [e]270c[/e]️

Thanks @Manu-J..

Last edited: May 20, 2019

I1558898138369 likes this.
  11. F_Aman_Ali_JOLz Froyo May 20, 2019

F_Aman_Ali_JOLz, May 20, 2019 :
    when will OnePlus 3&3t gets Oxygen os Android 9.0 official stable OTA update..when can we expect This month or next month..reply please @Manu J.

12. F_Aman_Ali_JOLz Froyo May 20, 2019

Hello sir do you have any idea regarding OnePlus 3 and 3t Oxygen os Official Android 9.0 stable OTA update..when will it come this month or next month plzz reply sir@meatandy

13. toastytoast1234 Lollipop May 20, 2019

toastytoast1234, May 20, 2019 :
    Wow, that must have been an eternity. I hope you weren't holding your breath.

xnutzii, B_Wrath, Sharinnn and 3 others like this.
  14. F_Aman_Ali_JOLz Froyo May 20, 2019

sir do you have any idea when OnePlus 3 and 3t gets Official Android pie OTA update this month or next month?

15. kannaa_kr Froyo May 20, 2019

kannaa_kr, May 20, 2019 :
    Haha! Ya bro, it was as painful as the wait for End Game!

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  16. Ruy_peixoto Donut May 20, 2019

Ruy_peixoto, May 20, 2019 :
    my question ... What would be the best language and compiler to create app for Android Q?

17. SJBoss KitKat May 20, 2019

SJBoss, May 20, 2019 :
    No sir, I’m afraid he doesn’t have an idea about that, no one does...he wouldn’t tell you even if he had, he’s an RS Bag you know, but let me tell you something, Updates come when it’s ready, when will it be ready? That’s something not even the Developer knows.

B_Wrath and toastytoast1234 like this.
  18. toastytoast1234 Lollipop May 20, 2019

toastytoast1234, May 20, 2019 :
    Eiderstedt Frisian would be the best language, but I'm not up to date on which current compilers support this.

xnutzii, B_Wrath, Sharinnn and 4 others like this.
  19. theshinybeast Lollipop May 21, 2019

theshinybeast, May 21, 2019 :
    Nah, I reckon Euskera would be best, it being a language isolate 'n all

20. toastytoast1234 Lollipop May 21, 2019

toastytoast1234, May 21, 2019 :
    Your biases may be showing there.

xnutzii, B_Wrath, Sharinnn and 3 others like this.