Keyboard is sometimes not working

1. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 May 22, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , May 22, 2020 :
    That's the thing though, this only seems to affect a tiny number of users, I have never experienced this issue, and neither have most others, otherwise it would be all over this forum, every minute, every hour, every day.

So it must be an app conflict, settings conflict or a combination of both.

Contact OnePlus support directly to see if they have more information on your issue. Scroll down the page for contact and online chat details.

https://www.oneplus.com/support

Artemus. likes this.
  2. H1579095910370
    Cupcake May 24, 2020

H1579095910370 , May 24, 2020 :
    I have had the same issue for a while and finally had enough today and started digging through my settings.
    I corrected my issue on a 7pro and I hope this helps some other users.
    1. One Plus settings
    2. System
    3. Language & Input
    4. Virtual Keyboard
    5. Gboard
    6. Glide Typing
    7. Enable glide typing
    8. Close

Hope this helps!

3. swooshe
    Cupcake May 25, 2020

swooshe , May 25, 2020 :
    Submitted ticket...will wait for response from them. Quite annoying..I use my phone for work as well so this simply adds more time wasted to something essential that should...work. Only reason I updated was to receive the new security updates...

4. G_Andreas_M._deYO
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2020

G_Andreas_M._deYO , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Same problem here... it happens both on Gboard and on Microsoft SwiftKey, and it's VERY annoying. I can't count how often I typed a sentence, realized that it isn't there, and re-typed it again. That sucks big time!

OxygenOS 10.3.3
    Nova Launcer (might that cause the issue??)

5. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Jun 6, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Have you tried the suggestion a couple of post up to change the settings posted on 24th

6. G_Andreas_M._deYO
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2020

G_Andreas_M._deYO , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Yes, I activated glide typing. No changes.

7. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Jun 6, 2020

8. Viroki69
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2020

Viroki69 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jun 19, 2020 :
    I am having same issue on my Oneplus 7T pro mclaren edition since last os update. I am using SwiftKey keyboard from many years, but problem isnt from them, I tried to change my keyboard but still same issue. Do something about this. I always have to exit the app and then open it when stuck.

9. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jun 19, 2020 :
    As per the post above, as this is users only forum, contact OnePlus directly at the links in the post above yours.

Artemus. likes this.
  10. B1592708082395
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2020

B1592708082395 , Jun 21, 2020 :

11. B1592708082395
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2020

B1592708082395 , Jun 21, 2020 :
    my keyboard is also not working especially with the Letter A when typing something, which has the letter A is as if that letter does not exist, you touch it and it is not written in the text and you have to press it hard to make it appear in the text, and I was very excited with this cell phone I only have 4 days with it and I like it, but it is annoying that my keyboard is not working, it makes me want to return it, I hope they solve this soon or do an update on the keyboard I have 10 days to return it keyboard malfunction to bad

12. Artemus.
    Community Hero 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Artemus. , Jun 21, 2020 :
    Could be a dead zone in the digitizer. Did you buy it new or second-hand?

Caomhin likes this.
  13. ntcue
    Cupcake Jul 21, 2020

ntcue , Jul 21, 2020 :
    I've got the exact same issue on my Oneplus 5 since I got the Android 10 Update. But I do not have to restart apps to make the keyboard work again. I simply switch to another app and back.
    It is really annoying. I used Swiftkey for years but because of that bug I switched to GBoard yesterday. Unfortunately this makes no difference. The bug still occurs sometimes.

14. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jul 21, 2020 :
    This is OP6 threads, you might want to check on OP5 threads.

Or try the following.

Do a Full Factory Reset

This will restore you to a fresh installation of Android. So you will need to backup your phone.

After Backing up the phone.

Go to Settings,
    System,
    Reset Options,
    Enable Erase Internal Storage.

Then click on the Delete All Data button.

Once done, use the phone for a couple of days without adding apps to check for issues with just the raw fresh OOS only.

Only introduce previous 3rd party apps gradually over 2 weeks to see if any particular app or apps drain the battery

For more info on how to backup your phone, check the solutions here.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/18/how-to-back-up-your-android-phone-before-a-factory-reset/

And here

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-backup-apps-and-other-ways-too-608014/

Artemus. likes this.
  15. ntcue
    Cupcake Jul 21, 2020

ntcue , Jul 21, 2020 :
    I know this is the Oneplus 6 forum. But the issue is exactly the same. This is almost certainly a software problem. Not all bugs are hardware dependent.
    I will certainly not do a factory reset. Please stop suggesting unnecessary things. It's way too much work do get in a usable state after that again.
    That is not some kind of play around phone I am using here. It needs all the stuff that is installed on it. Just fix that issue. It has nothing to do with anything else than the operating system.
    How did you come from keyboard issues to draining batteries?

16. Caomhin

Whatever dude. Suggestion is there, entirely up yo you what you do with it.

The reason for the different OnePlus seties forums is to differentiate between series and models, and to stop the chaos of people posting about various series and models in the same thread which may have different solutions for different hardware. The software controls the hardware. Which varies from series to series and model to model.

It's a simple concept.

And the factory reset suggestion still stands. Again it's up to you what you want to do there.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do 😎[e]1f44d[/e]

Artemus. likes this.
  17. ntcue
    Cupcake Jul 21, 2020

ntcue , Jul 21, 2020 :
    I filed a bug report.
    My phone runs now flawlessly more that 3 years without any factory resets. And because I do not sync all my stuff to Google but to my own cloud it is not as easy to setup it again after a reset.

Also it doesn't make any sense to create a thread about exactly the same issue in the Oneplus 5 forum. There are already other bugs which won't get fixed. Why creating the same thread in an other forum again? If this error has anything to do with the hardware than the software design seems to be really bad. But as I know Android is an operating system capable of running on dozens of devices. Therefore I think the main issue here is something GUI related.

18. Caomhin

Maybe, but am sure there are already threads there covering similar issues to yours.

You say you have experienced the issue since installing Android 10. And as its a new version of Android, in this case 10, then a reset may fix the issue, but you won't know until you try. Check the 5 series threads to see if others on Android 10 do have that issue and maybe they already have a suggestion that may alleviate the problem.

19. Rakandy
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2020

Rakandy , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Same problem here! I'm having it for last 3-4 months.... VERY ANNOYING

So no one got a solution? What about all you guys who contacted Oneplus and filled a ticket?

20. grale22
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020