KwMobile bamboo case

1. (MUG3NHC)
    Jelly Bean Sep 11, 2014

(MUG3NHC) , Sep 11, 2014 :
    My girlfriend had something like this for her galaxy note 2 and the first one and the replacement both cracked...

2. evilriq
    Gingerbread Sep 12, 2014

evilriq , Sep 12, 2014 :
    Today I received the KW Mobile bamboo case. The quality was a positive surprise. The inner surface is covered with fabric that is sure to reduce your phone sandstone surface wear when case is placed and taken away. Phone sits in the case really snugly and does not move in any direction. The seams are sitting in place well, even though I was a bit afraid of this by the seller's images. The pieces attach to each other with metal clip that locks into the groove of the other piece. The thickness of the phone will be two to three millimeters more visually measured. :) The bad thing about the case is that the power and volume buttons are quite hard to press with the case on.

You can find pics here.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

3. data55
    Cupcake Sep 12, 2014

evilriq likes this.
  4. MrGeo
    Eclair Sep 12, 2014

MrGeo , Sep 12, 2014 :
    very nice photos. I was wondering if it fits nicely and by the looks of your pics it's very good and beautiful. Nice choice dude.

evilriq likes this.
  5. Rob Ocelot
    Donut Sep 16, 2014

Rob Ocelot , Sep 16, 2014 :
    Got both my case and OPO today and I concur with evilriq that it's great quality. I don't have too much problem with the buttons but I can see how others might have issues.

Those with thicker micro-USB plugs may have issues plugging it into the port. You can take off the bottom piece easily however. I took to modifying a problem usb plug slightly and it's been fine since then. Also worth nothing that I was able to fit both the phone and case in a Brodit universal adjustable holder for the car.

Something not immediately apparent in evilriq's photos is that you can see the silver bezel on the top and bottom (but not the sides) of the phone. This might bother some folks.

In all though it's a GREAT alternative to the offical (still unreleased as of this writing) bamboo back cover. Can't beat it for price too.

Pros:
    *Solid build, feels good in the hand
    *Completely made of bamboo (unlike the official bamboo back, which has plastic pieces)
    *Great quality (both top and bottom pieces are made from strips of the same wood with the same grain)
    *Looks great (I have a Wewood watch and it makes a great companion to it)

Cons:
    *Adds ~3mm to the dimensions of the phone
    *Buttons may be harder push for some fingers
    *Some micro-USB plugs may not fit
    *No SIM access port, unlike the official bamboo back cover

evilriq and quahog_convo like this.
  6. turbodiesel80
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2014

turbodiesel80 , Sep 16, 2014 :
    This is one of the only phones i've seen that doesn't make me immediately want to purchase a case for it......I'm looking forward to not having a bulky setup. My current monster is a Note2 with a ZeroLemon battery pack

cjak1985 likes this.
  7. evilriq
    Gingerbread Sep 16, 2014

evilriq , Sep 16, 2014 :
    Well, today I damaged my case. I was taking the case off and the side of it cracked. Now it has about a 2 cm crack on the side. I can still use the case and it hold in place just as new but it pisses me of anyway. Picture.

8. cavamagie
    Froyo Sep 17, 2014

9. Rob Ocelot
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

Rob Ocelot , Sep 18, 2014 :
    evilriq, I'd contact kwmobile. A day or two after I ordered off Amazon.com kw's North American rep emailed me to ask if I had any concerns. I'm sure their Euro rep will take care of you, especially with a quality issue like that.

Worst case scenario, some wood glue is all you need ;-)

(I wonder though if the wood dries out over time, I have to rub my Wewood watch with oil once or twice a year

10. Rob Ocelot
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

Rob Ocelot , Sep 18, 2014 :
    Interesting that Amazon.com has run out of them. Kind of weird that both the official bamboo back and this case are unavailable.

Bad crop of Chinese bamboo?

My case is still ok, though I don't take it out of the case very often except to show others that it is indeed a case and the phone isn't made of bamboo. I'll update if I have issues.

11. therussiann
    Gingerbread Sep 18, 2014

12. Hasaan12
    Jelly Bean Sep 18, 2014

Hasaan12 , Sep 18, 2014 :
    Like what!?? link me up bro

I've been ding for a spigen for too damn long

13. evilriq
    Gingerbread Sep 20, 2014

evilriq , Sep 20, 2014 :
    I sent an email to kwmobile but the case was sold out so they could not send me new one. But they did issue a refund of the full amount. :) Maybe I'll try to glue it and see what happens. ;)

14. Rob Ocelot
    Donut Oct 6, 2014

Rob Ocelot , Oct 6, 2014 :
    An interesting issue cropped up today with this bamboo case. The hole for the headphone jack is off center making it difficult to plug in headphones or headsets that have a large or angled jack. Grabbed the hobby knife and carefully made the hole bigger. Works, but that's one niggle in an otherwise decent case.

15. missy.wyman
    Honeycomb Oct 6, 2014

16. Akiva
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2014

Akiva , Oct 28, 2014 :
    I got it. Not to bulky. Nice looking. I like it a lot.

17. erzengelsachiel
    KitKat Nov 24, 2014

erzengelsachiel , Nov 24, 2014 :
    Well, how did it turn out?

18. NabThat
    Cupcake Nov 25, 2014

NabThat , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Too bad I didn't win the official invite for the bamboo case...and all the alternatives seems bulky...

19. salvioni.marco
    Jelly Bean Nov 25, 2014

salvioni.marco , Nov 25, 2014 :
    http://www.oneplusbbs.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=572423
    Oneplus is going to sell styleswaps (also called babyskin) in China : black, white, bamboo and a new black version made of the same material of the white.
    So there is no quality problems with them but it is only another lie from oneplus.
    If you are disappointed with these lies please copy and paste this message since oneplus will delete it

20. chinosoria
    Eclair Nov 25, 2014