Lack of development support

1. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2018

jgcaap , Jan 2, 2018 :
    Hello,

Many of you already know me from the Oneplus One and probably know that I am an enthusiast of android as I like to build kernels and Roms. I decided to buy a OnePlus 5T for the openness and for having the opportunity to have a Phone that would provide the enthusiast experience as an Android user.

I have to admit that I put my hopes too high, as right now I find lack of support from OnePlus to the developer community.

I hear complains every day from different developers related to the Oneplus Kernel Sources and I am amazed that Oneplus let it be as it is and keeps itself silent on the topic.

But yet it is very sad to see situations as : https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/andro...mmit/6cc33759b2b7c969ab70580b7aecdcf40a398bff

Arter97 opinion to fire developers because of lazy coding:
    https://twitter.com/arter97/status/947895874897588224

I was expecting an updated rom (not an outdated 7.1.1 rom with more than 1 year old).

I was expecting compatibility to project treble and not the poor excuse that is technically not possible.

I was expecting Oreo blobs and not nougat blobs.

I was expecting possibility to easily port camera to custom ROMs.

Even if this is too much only these two giveaways to the community (kernel sources, and project treble) would provide Oneplus the fame and the opportunity to sell a lot more as the developer community increases and the opportunity for one plus to learn from that community for free.

I must say I am disappointed with it. So I am sharing my thoughts with the hope that the company will make changes on how they see the business.

I write in hope to see improvements, and also to learn about the opinion of the community.

2. TugaPower
    Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2018

TugaPower , Jan 3, 2018 :
    Good luck with that, but expect the worst. Long time we started a petition to support treble on OP5, with 14K signs and the answer was still no. Even with solutions presented that could be easly applied from OnePlus. They said 14k its a minory. For me OP5 was the last device from this company.

#NeverSettle

Salt505, Oneplus5is6 and jgcaap like this.
  3. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 3, 2018

jgcaap , Jan 3, 2018 :
    Going to the same direction with me...

Oneplus5is6 and TugaPower like this.
  4. gkolath
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

gkolath , Jan 3, 2018 :
    why don't we take it to a broader level than been just restricting ourselves to the community? something like Twitter and including the top people of OnePlus? won't it make and help achieve a larger developer community? just asking...

5. tibcsi0407
    Froyo Jan 3, 2018

tibcsi0407 , Jan 3, 2018 :
    For the developement you will need the help of the OEM. Everything explained in OP.

TugaPower likes this.
  6. tb77
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

7. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 4, 2018

jgcaap , Jan 4, 2018 :
    What is RAII ?

8. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 4, 2018

jgcaap , Jan 4, 2018 :
    The problem is that the sources come from Oneplus, if they provide the sources but with a lot of problems how do you think the developers react to it?

If you had the opportunity to check the links, the developers and the bigger community is complaining. It is unfair.

9. Charmacas
    Gingerbread Jan 4, 2018

Charmacas , Jan 4, 2018 :
    A good opinion of a well known developer who, and I am quite sure about that, represents the opinion of many others.

I for myself like to use custom ROMs but I am not a developer at all. So I am thankful for everyone who makes code working for devices around. This is not an easy job but people like to do it in their free time.

As already said: OnePlus you could easily benefit from the developer community if you're just begin to listen!

A big step forward would also be a more consistent, honest and straightforward communication to the community. Who wants to read just the simple marketing announcements? I get that this is necessary but we expect more of a company which says that the community is so great. I also get that Carl does not have the time to look through the whole forum but what about the community managers? They could easily provide Carl with the relevant links. One would be this thread!

AussieOnePlusUser likes this.
  10. Lucky M. Nelson
    Froyo Jan 4, 2018

11. tb77
    Gingerbread Jan 4, 2018

12. allisterr
    Honeycomb Jan 4, 2018

allisterr , Jan 4, 2018 :
    They just released a Sandstone white 5t [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e] lol guess changing colours is more important that all the other problems.

13. No. 07428
    Jelly Bean Jan 4, 2018

No. 07428 , Jan 4, 2018 :
    Maybe all of this stuff will be fixed with the 8.1 update?

14. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 5, 2018

jgcaap , Jan 5, 2018 :
    Well from. What I am seeing we have this issue since the OnePlus 3 and 3t...so basically they are doing on porpuse for an unknown reason. :/

Salt505 likes this.
  15. brunox54
    Gingerbread Jan 6, 2018

brunox54 , Jan 6, 2018 :
    Totally agreed. I wish we had a full buildable code repo where users can help contributing as well. I think it should improve the development speed.