Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. davidvkimball
    Froyo May 28, 2019

davidvkimball , May 28, 2019 :
    I contemplated whether or not to return it... ultimately I decided against it. It seems like a fundamental hardware issue that will likely happen with another handset, so I'm hoping a software update will fix this.

g.solakis likes this.
  2. malidan
    Marshmallow May 28, 2019

malidan , May 28, 2019 :
    Ghost touched usually stem from grounding faulty digitizers of a combination of both and this has been reported on every OP device.

The OPO was down to using glue where they shouldn't have, that softened with heat and cause the short. On every other device the only 2 common denominator I can think of is.
    1. Alert slider
    2. Antennas
    Seen as every OP device has had issues with wireless connectivity, they should start looking there first.
    It's a pity this issue seem to follow from device to device, after so long it just can't be down to software.

3. malidan
    Marshmallow May 28, 2019

malidan , May 28, 2019 :
    Steady on! That might attract certain Wormmies.:mask:

4. David Y.
    Global Community Manager Staff Member May 28, 2019

David Y. , May 28, 2019 :
    Hey dcmcc24 , thanks for the heads up. I will let the PR team take care of it.

Thanks!

dcmcc24 likes this.
  5. KevinT.
    Froyo May 28, 2019

KevinT. , May 28, 2019 :
    Any update with the progress regarding to finding the root of the problem as well as a possible fix? Since this problem arose, I've been skeptical whether I should continue to buy this phone or not. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's holding back and waiting for now...

shirokuro73 likes this.
  6. David Y.
    Global Community Manager Staff Member May 28, 2019

David Y. , May 28, 2019 :
    Totally understand. We are investigating all the possibilities that may cause this issue, instead of rushing to give a conclusion. We believe this is the most responsible approach for all users who have bought or are about to buy the OnePlus 7 Pro.

We will keep everyone updated.

7. dcmcc24
    KitKat May 28, 2019

dcmcc24 , May 28, 2019 :
    Thanks for the effort. I have noticed that you use Novatek for your touch panel as seen in your source here

Https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/andro...input/touchscreen/oneplus_touchscreen/Novatek

I have heard that Novatek panels also had issues on other phones such as the Pocofone F1 and those panels had to be replaced to fix the issue. Might be one thing to look into

Last edited: May 28, 2019

8. bpwest80
    KitKat May 28, 2019

bpwest80 , May 28, 2019 :
    It seems as if NFC is causing phantom touches on some apps. You can replicate it by installing CPU Z and turning on NFC, wait a minute or so and scroll through the app. That should trigger a ghost/phantom touch. Turning NFC off fixed the issue.

Lahirurd likes this.
  9. mustafa4ever89
    Froyo May 28, 2019

mustafa4ever89 , May 28, 2019 :
    Thank you David. I think what concerns alot of us is the return window. The US customers only have a 15 day return window for their phones and we just want to be assured that if it does turn out to be a hardware issue, then OnePlus will extend the return window for us. I'm sure I am not the only one here with this concern.

10. Derple
    Froyo May 28, 2019

Derple , May 28, 2019 :
    It's worth saying that their terms of sale page says all OnePlus phones purchased from oneplus.com come with a 12 month limited warranty that covers defects caused by "workmanship and build materials," which I think would apply here if it's indeed a hardware/design flaw caused by OnePlus. If you're otherwise satisfied with the phone besides this issue and wish to keep it, that could be the best option.

G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj likes this.
  11. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj , May 28, 2019 :
    I hope your right.

12. mustafa4ever89
    Froyo May 28, 2019

I get that, but not everyone has multiple phones or can stay without a phone for a week or two or however long they'll take to repair this under warranty. I just want the assurance that I can return it for a full refund if it's a factory defect so that I can just go buy another phone. It is kind of obvious here that if the ghost touch issue is hardware related then it came off the factory floor that way, and if they release a statement next month saying it is hardware related then I want to be able to return it for a full refund next month. Some of you will say what is the big deal, it is just NFC, turn it off. But when you pay flagship price for a flagship phone, even little things like that are a big deal. I have maybe 4 or 5 bugs that are plaguing my phone right now and it has affected my productivity quiet a bit so far. It's fair for them to say they don't want to rush to a statement, but alot of us are in a rush as we only got 1-15 days to return it.

13. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

mustafa4ever89

I get that, but not everyone has multiple phones or can stay without a phone for a week or two or however long they'll take to repair this under warranty. I just want the assurance that I can return it for a full refund if it's a factory defect so that I can just go buy another phone. It is kind of obvious here that if the ghost touch issue is hardware related then it came off the factory floor that way, and if they release a statement next month saying it is hardware related then I want to be able to return it for a full refund next month. Some of you will say what is the big deal, it is just NFC, turn it off. But when you pay flagship price for a flagship phone, even little things like that are a big deal. I have maybe 4 or 5 bugs that are plaguing my phone right now and it has affected my productivity quiet a bit so far. It's fair for them to say they don't want to rush to a statement, but alot of us are in a rush as we only got 1-15 days to return it.​

I 100 percent agree with u.

mustafa4ever89 likes this.
  14. Derple
    Froyo May 28, 2019

Derple , May 28, 2019 :
    I agree with you, but I'm just saying the option is there for those who want it. Some probably think the 15 day window is the only option or they're stuck with a defective phone.

15. chzhao
    Donut May 28, 2019

chzhao , May 28, 2019 :

mustafa4ever89

I get that, but not everyone has multiple phones or can stay without a phone for a week or two or however long they'll take to repair this under warranty. I just want the assurance that I can return it for a full refund if it's a factory defect so that I can just go buy another phone. It is kind of obvious here that if the ghost touch issue is hardware related then it came off the factory floor that way, and if they release a statement next month saying it is hardware related then I want to be able to return it for a full refund next month. Some of you will say what is the big deal, it is just NFC, turn it off. But when you pay flagship price for a flagship phone, even little things like that are a big deal. I have maybe 4 or 5 bugs that are plaguing my phone right now and it has affected my productivity quiet a bit so far. It's fair for them to say they don't want to rush to a statement, but alot of us are in a rush as we only got 1-15 days to return it.​

Not only that, I don't feel good about a new phone being teared open and put back together and then returned to me. I don't know anything about the repairing process, will it cause other trouble that might emerge in the future (like dust trapped inside, misalignment of seal so less water resistance etc.)? I would rather like a full refund and purchase a new one.

Dirk66 and mustafa4ever89 like this.
  16. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

if you do it in the 15 day you get a brand new one.

mustafa4ever89 likes this.
  17. mustafa4ever89
    Froyo May 28, 2019

Yes, well said. I did not pay full price only to get a repaired/refurb within a month of owning the device. I want an extended return window so we can all make a well informed decision of whether we want to get another brand new unaffected OP7 Pro or get something else. We have not received any such assurance from the OnePlus team yet even though this issue has gotten alot of traction in the media already. The way they handle this will definitely make or break their reputation if they want to compete with the big boys.

18. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

I did a rna, then if it happens after I get back a new one at least I have 15 more days to return it. I have had a OnePlus 5,5t,6 and love them. I won't give up on OnePlus. best phone experience ever.

19. Confirmed_civil_engineer
    Froyo May 28, 2019

Confirmed_civil_engineer , May 28, 2019 :
    @G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj

I did a rna, then if it happens after I get back a new one at least I have 15 more days to return it. I have had a OnePlus 5,5t,6 and love them. I won't give up on OnePlus. best phone experience ever.

oh man it seems like you've never had their best phone which in my opinion was the 6T

G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj likes this.
  20. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

yeah I still love my OnePlus 6. so I skipped it.