Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. edrose
    Froyo May 28, 2019

edrose , May 28, 2019 :
    Why? We have multiple reports here that are stating that the issue was not present on the original firmware the device ships with, and appeared after the first update. We've had a guy from a custom rom developer team claim that there are errors coming out of various sensors that suggest it's a software/firmware issue. My own analysis of log messages from my phone has shown logs getting overloaded with messages and virtual memory (software!) errors that coincide with when the ghost touches appear. OnePlus also claim that they're working on a software fix.

The only evidence that it's hardware is that it appears to affect different devices to different degrees, however that could be accounted for by other factors. If it is a memory management issue, then there will be a large element of unpredictability due to the random nature of random access memory. There could be an element of it being caused by particular NFC readings of background electromagnetic waves in the environment the phone is in. Poorly grounded fluorescent lights can emit electromagnetic fields that could be causing the NFC chip to try and communicate, for example, setting off the touches. People placing their phones on wireless charging mats may also trigger the NFC chip.

Of course this is my opinion and it is possible I'm wrong. We don't have the full information available to us either, so it's not a perfect analysis. I'm also an affected user and I do love the company so there will be some bias there. Take what you want from it, but I'm leaning more towards it being software than hardware.

2. H1558883691012
    Froyo May 28, 2019

H1558883691012 , May 28, 2019 :
    can you confirm that the blinking light only appears with CPU z opened and not appears in any other condition? thanks

3. parsa5
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2019

parsa5 , May 28, 2019 :
    Right, we have not had a statement from Oneplus one way or another on this issue. I know what live chat says, but their statements can be taken with a grain of salt. I hope its software, so I don't have to return my phone.

Maybe its time for oneplus to issue a statement. The only reason I can think of them not doing it already is:

1. They don't have a solution.
    2. They haven't confirmed if it's hardware or software.

4. Abruzini
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Abruzini , May 28, 2019 :
    Yes. You are correct when you say it's not normal and should not happen. But in fact, that type of problem can also be caused by a wrongly configured sensor/bad drive associated with the nfc or any other sensor on the upper part of the OnePlus 7pro.
    Several users had proven already that the OnePlus 7pro with the stock factory firmware (ie 9.5.1) doesn't have any ghost touch problem. That start to happen only when you upgrade to a newer oxygenos version.

5. porter_sc
    Froyo May 28, 2019

porter_sc , May 28, 2019 :
    I have Mate charging Belkin to iphone. I turned on the NFC, I put a phone on it and nothing bad happened to zero ghost etc.

6. edrose
    Froyo May 28, 2019

edrose , May 28, 2019 :
    It's going to be an incredibly complex issue, it's going to take time. If it is memory management at the driver level, it's probably one of the hardest software things to debug.

I suspect the lack of statement might be either miscommunication between the PR team and the Devs, or simply that it's not a big deal to anyone except a few Android websites and a handful of people on this forum. We are in a bit of an echo chamber here.

As far as software bugs go, if it affects a small number of people and a workaround for it exists, it's not usually considered a high priority. The difference here is that it's perceived a (either rightly or wrongly) as potentially a hardware bug given that it's shown up so quickly after people got the phone, which is why so many people are concerned and submitting RMAs.

7. parsa5
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2019

parsa5 , May 28, 2019 :
    The fact of the matter is none of us know whether its hardware or software really. There is anecdotal evidence to suggest both sides and we are all hoping its software.

The 9.5.1 firmware did not have ghost touches, but does suffer some other sensor anomalies correct?

swa100 likes this.
  8. porter_sc
    Froyo May 28, 2019

porter_sc , May 28, 2019 :
    If soft, just wait for the update. If hardware is a refund or replacement. It was the same with Huawei and Samsung etc.

9. edrose
    Froyo May 28, 2019

edrose , May 28, 2019 :

I'm not sure calling it an anomaly is correct. If you perform a proximity sensor test in the factory menu, then you get the green dot on any firmware. The behaviour of the sensor certainly changed between updates (maybe it now works in a different mode), but there is no evidence to say it was ever doing anything it shouldn't have.

10. parsa5
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2019

parsa5 , May 28, 2019 :
    I have yet to get the green dot. Ive performed sensor tests with multiple apps.

An official statement from Oneplus would be nice.

G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj likes this.
  11. spdsk8race1
    Honeycomb May 28, 2019

spdsk8race1 , May 28, 2019 :
    you right, it's not resolving the issue, but it is a short term fix/band aid fix* . my question is why does it fix the issue? if it we're a grounding short, then turning this off wouldn't impact correct? a short is a short.

12. edrose
    Froyo May 28, 2019

edrose , May 28, 2019 :
    Dial *#808#, go to device debugging tab, then to Proximity Sensor Test, and test the infrared proximity sensor. The dot will show as it's doing the test.

13. parsa5
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2019

parsa5 , May 28, 2019 :
    Yes, I can see it then. But I didnt see it on CPU-Z or other diagnostic apps.

14. Curtixman
    Froyo May 28, 2019

Curtixman , May 28, 2019 :
    Give your heads a shake. OnePlus has not addressed this? Still!?!?
    And this thread is littered with comments from customers saying things like;
    “I hope...”
    “Hopefully OnePlus...”
    “Maybe they will...”
    Return your phones.
    Even if you think the phone is worth what you paid regardless of the issue, it’s a matter of principle.
    Clearly this company doesn’t give a s’t about you.

15. ShermCraig
    Honeycomb May 28, 2019

ShermCraig , May 28, 2019 :
    Not sure what this app does, and I cannot upload video to this site. I captured the video though if anyone wants to see it.

istoikov likes this.
  16. edrose
    Froyo May 28, 2019

edrose , May 28, 2019 :

Curtixman

Give your heads a shake. OnePlus has not addressed this? Still!?!?
    And this thread is littered with comments from customers saying things like;
    “I hope...”
    “Hopefully OnePlus...”
    “Maybe they will...”
    Return your phones.
    Even if you think the phone is worth what you paid regardless of the issue, it’s a matter of principle.
    Clearly this company doesn’t give a s’t about you.​

It took Samsung 2 months to stop selling bombs labelled "Note 7". OnePlus acknowledged the issue on the forums as a current software issue within two days, although I appreciate that it wasn't immediately clear that it was a confirmed software issue. Given a bit more context given we now know the factory firmware isn't affected, the below post makes a bit more sense.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/known-issues-for-oneplus-7-pro.1038479/

I buy OnePlus phones because of the freedom they give and how they are more consumer orientated than others. If they didn't care about the consumers, then they'd be making phones for massive profits like Samsung and Apple, not selling phones with such thin margins. The OnePlus One was basically sold at cost. They also don't lock you into proprietary softwares, so even after official support is over you can still use your phone. My old OnePlus 2 is still able to run the latest Android with Lineage OS and is still a perfectly usable phone. You don't get that from a 4-year old Samsung.

Edit: Note 7, not Note 9

Last edited: May 28, 2019

17. ducted
    Eclair May 28, 2019

ducted , May 28, 2019 :
    Well, mine is on the way to factory for a refund, the courier just picked up from my home.

Now the question is: beside the upgrade needed to make this GREAT phone work as intended, what kind of "firmware" they planned to make loyal customers like me (that I had almost all the devices they released) to restore the confidence in his brand again?

I feel bad for the decision I had to make to return the phone because I really liked it. But not to have pronounced about this problem in all these days make me took the decision.

I wish you all the best luck on this. You know... never settle.

xythiii likes this.
  18. Curtixman
    Froyo May 28, 2019

It doesn’t matter how long it to manufacture X to acknowledge or resolve a problem with their hardware.
    You don’t justify your own bad behavior by pointing to someone else’s bad behavior. Or you shouldn’t.
    And, regardless why has been said on forums, OnePlus has made no official acknowledgement of any issue and made no assurances to its customers.
    As for the price of the phones, OnePlus makes compromises in one way or another to be able to provide a handset at a particular market range. If it had all the features and quality of another, more expensive phone, it too would be more expensive.
    With respect to this phone specifically, it hits a lot (even all) of the high points I’m looking for and the compromises are on things not all that important to me.
    However, let’s not pretend this is a budget phone.
    Premium isn’t a phone, it’s an experience and should come complete with customer service.
    OnePlus certainly has never delivered that.
    If you think they have, I’d suggest the likelihood is you’ve never had to deal with the company to return, replace or RMA a device.
    Their customer service (or lack of) is beyond awful.
    It couldn’t be worse if they hired telemarketers specifically for their lack of customer service skills.

19. ShermCraig
    Honeycomb May 28, 2019

ShermCraig , May 28, 2019 :
    All these days?
    LOLOL.

20. Curtixman
    Froyo May 28, 2019

That’s the smart choice. The phone isn’t going anywhere. It’ll be there when/if they every properly address this.
    At the price you paid for the phone, you SHOULD demand a flawless experience and good customer service

ducted likes this.