Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 29, 2019

jdpeters79 likes this.
  2. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread May 29, 2019

jdpeters79 , May 29, 2019 :
    I had started the replacement process with them and then reversed it. I saw a similar comment somewhere in this thread from a tech support case. Honestly I don't think replacing it will do much good right now. And if it ends up being a bigger hardware problem, they'd have to cover it with the warranty anyway. I personally am no longer concerned about the return window.

3. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 29, 2019

G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj , May 29, 2019 :
    me neither.

pgrey and jdpeters79 like this.
  4. G_Sam_banaei
    Eclair May 29, 2019

G_Sam_banaei , May 29, 2019 :
    Honestly i am am true OnePlus fan. bought 3 phones from them so far, and i love my 7 pro so much. its just this limbo that nobody knows its a software or hardware issue is killing me.

5. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread May 29, 2019

That is frustrating, but I have a feeling we will be hearing something soon enough. Lots of people have submitted logs to them, and during a Q and A recently they said they're working on it. Probably just a complicated problem.

6. G_Ben_rGwn
    Eclair May 29, 2019

G_Ben_rGwn , May 29, 2019 :
    Got mine Thursday last week, noticed it in WhatsApp and CPU-Z. Disabled NFC and I've not had the issue since. annoying. I hope it's fixed soon.

peterbensch likes this.
  7. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 29, 2019

pgrey , May 29, 2019 :
    @edrose Thanks, I spent a bit of time "composing this", with my (mostly) ex-sw/hw engineering and tech-PM "hats" on, I wanted to make this as impartial as possible, yet thought provoking, in terms of "user action/reaction" ;-]
    I take it a moderator, or employee is required to "pin" it? Anyway, if there's anything I should do here (I'm more familiar with "forum process" on some other forums, where I'm more active), to make this easier to find (it seems to have gotten quite a few positive votes), let me know, thanks.

Last edited: May 29, 2019

8. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 29, 2019

pgrey , May 29, 2019 :
    @Krokogator Yeah, I considered this angle, when I wrote my "diatribe", about the whole thing.
    The "always factor", IMHO, isn't really that. I'm on 9.4.5, and when I enable NFC, I typically have to "trigger" the "ghost touches", with a "proximity test", using a finger or whatnot. I have almost zero success (maybe it happened, once, not 100% sure on that time) getting it to repro, if I just turn on NFC, kick of CPU-Z, or a touch-test app, and just "let it sit", the screen just times out (I have it at 60 seconds right now), every time, with no "touches", I've tested this quite a few times now.
    Perhaps if I changed the timeout to several minutes, or "never", I'd see it, eventually, maybe. I'd bet though, that I could find a bunch of apps/services, that use proximity explicitly, and kick them all off, and then my phone would got nuts, with touches (this is just an educated guess, I'm not seeing the need for this test, at this point, I think the test team has plenty of repros, but I did say I'd be happy to repro and send logs, which I've done on several other "big bugs", on my 5T and 6).

I agree, this *might* have a (partial) h/w component to it, but realistically, this could be true of a LOT of devices, depending on how you set the NFC/Proximity sensors up, in firmware, I bet there are custom ROMs for many phones, that would allow you to repro this (devices really have a LOT of sensors these days, it's not like the 90's or even mid-2000's, when there were just a couple, in question here).
    Ultimately, even if this is "partly h/w", it really gets down to a semantics question, at that point. If you can "fix" it with a couple of firmware tweaks, to how the sensor "reacts", or how it's "interpreted", with NFC enabled. If there's a workable combo, that allows full use of both (and no other significant negative impact(s)), then it really doesn't matter, IMO...

shirokuro73 and Krokogator like this.
  9. mark2603
    Cupcake May 29, 2019

mark2603 , May 29, 2019 :
    I have attempted the following to see if my device has the "ghost touches" issue.

I enabled Developer options and enabled Show touches, enabled NFC and downloaded CPU-Z.
    After that I launched CPU-Z and ghost touches were present in about 3 seconds, when I disabled NFC they stopped.

However when I attempted to do it again it didn't happen no matter how many times I tried to replicate it, so it seems pretty random overall.

10. G_Brandon_Clark_kPTj
    Gingerbread May 29, 2019

11. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread May 29, 2019

Even with mine, where they happened more frequently than you're describing, the issue was still pretty random and rather infrequent, all things considered. Annoying, yes. Deal breaker? No.

12. Curtixman
    Froyo May 29, 2019

Curtixman , May 29, 2019 :

Mine was purchased from OnePlus directly and was a 8-256 Blue so there goes that theory

13. G1558374199726
    Cupcake May 29, 2019

14. Curtixman
    Froyo May 29, 2019

blu3h34r7 likes this.
  15. Curtixman
    Froyo May 29, 2019

“... info and updates...” wouldn’t that be nice. HELLO OnePlus!?!?!?

Marcin Korzycki likes this.
  16. FAFM9
    Cupcake May 29, 2019

FAFM9 , May 29, 2019 :
    so apparently the one plus 7 pro devices made in India also have the ghost touches

17. Curtixman
    Froyo May 29, 2019

That is not accurate

18. Confirmed_civil_engineer
    Froyo May 29, 2019

19. Curtixman
    Froyo May 29, 2019

Finally! I can put OnePlus in my rear view mirror.

Attached Files:

ducted and Krishna2142 like this.
  20. Derple
    Froyo May 29, 2019

Derple , May 29, 2019 :
    Well, everything we've discovered so far certainly points to it being so. I'm still waiting on OnePlus to give an official reply though.

swa100 and jdpeters79 like this.