Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. Curtixman
    Froyo May 31, 2019

Curtixman , May 31, 2019 :
    Oh... and then, true to OnePlus style, they offered no explanation and no feedback of any kind. And instead left the community and everyone in this thread to wonder WTF is going on? I see

H1542153384332 and lucianoucci like this.
  2. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread May 31, 2019

jdpeters79 , May 31, 2019 :
    Didn't you already return the phone? Or am I thinking of someone else

3. 7ThRonin
    Froyo May 31, 2019

4. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread May 31, 2019

If you can handle toggling off NFC and waiting for the software update, keep it. If you can't, return it. If for some reason it turned out to be a hardware problem after the return window, the warranty would cover it.

Ghettovybz and Derple like this.
  5. Curtixman
    Froyo May 31, 2019

Curtixman , May 31, 2019 :
    You’re not mistaken, the above post is pure sarcasm.

6. 7ThRonin
    Froyo May 31, 2019

7ThRonin , May 31, 2019 :
    True but I have 14 days to give it back without a reason and if it will be based on warranty I would have to wait for repair/replacement. To be honest I do not use NFC at all but I can't say that I will not in the near future.

7. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread May 31, 2019

Curtixman

You’re not mistaken, the above post is pure sarcasm.​

Oh, gotcha. I don't mean this to sound snarky at all, but I would have totally moved on from this now if I were you... lol ;-)

Last edited: May 31, 2019

kensyd likes this.
  8. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread May 31, 2019

Yeah. But if you return it now and then software fixes it, you'd have to either just skip it altogether or buy it later. I really doubt we'll have to use the warranty, but it's possible.

9. mmankg
    Cupcake May 31, 2019

mmankg , May 31, 2019 :
    Had this occur aswell. Happens when I'm typing a lot and it registers touch in the upper regions - for example opens up profile details in messengers or a video call. my friend from work also has one and he had his phone go crazy with random touches everywhere. hopefully this will be fixed via ota.

10. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Senior Moderator May 31, 2019

Mark Falsing , May 31, 2019 :
    Thank you for making us aware of the sitution, @H1542153384332 and @Confirmed_civil_engineer please check your PM's

11. Curtixman
    Froyo Jun 1, 2019

Curtixman , Jun 1, 2019 :

Oh normally I would have. I am not sure what’s keeping me checking in.
    I guess I’m curious if OnePlus ever takes this issue by the horns and addresses it head on.
    To me, this issue and how they navigate it is a fantastic benchmark for exactly what kind of company they intend to be.
    So far, my overall experience from an initial small issue I had with my online order and how their customer service (not) handled it, my correspondences with them about a few issues I’d had with the phone and the way this situation has been handled this far, I’m really unimpressed.
    To me it all seems symptomatic of a company that had made the decision to enter the top tier market with none of the prerequisites required aside from the handset. Which itself has issues.
    However, I still am rooting for them to turn this around.

H1542153384332 and jdpeters79 like this.
  12. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 1, 2019 :
    I can understand that point of view. I compare it to issues I've seen and contacted Samsung about, and I personally feel OnePlus has been more on top of it. I've had to use Samsung's support for several things too, from phone to TV to tablet. Not bad, per se, but it's been lacking most of the time. But mileage varies for everyone on this type of thing. I love this phone too so I'm probably willing to accept more right now :)

13. Korital
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2019

Korital , Jun 1, 2019 :
    Got my phone directly from OP, ordered on the 24th and got it yesterday. Manufacturing date is 5/14. It has been roughly 32 hours since I got it. It came with 9.5.1 firmware version on it and naturally no ghost touches what-so-ever. Green blinking dot is present in CPU-Z on 9.5.1 firmware however as others have reported.

After about 4 hours of being on 9.5.1 and not experiencing any Ghost Touches, I decided to update to latest firmware available in my region (Canada), and updated to 9.5.4.GM21AA.
    I immediately tried CPU-Z in the updated firmware. Green dot is no longer present, so maybe something since 9.5.1 broke that sensor? I left the phone for a few minutes and I got a total of 3 touches in about 4 minutes. Nothing crazy.

I have left my NFC on since getting the phone and updating, and to this moment, I have not experienced any Ghost Touches outside of CPU-Z. I have not yet tested the phone with an NFC card/reader to see if it makes the phone go crazy, but I will tomorrow when I'm at the nearby mall where the EV car chargers use NFC to start the charging session.

Hackerspy and jdpeters79 like this.
  14. H1558883691012
    Froyo Jun 1, 2019

H1558883691012 , Jun 1, 2019 :

C1558637761602

Got my phone directly from OP, ordered on the 24th and got it yesterday. Manufacturing date is 5/14. It has been roughly 32 hours since I got it. It came with 9.5.1 firmware version on it and naturally no ghost touches what-so-ever. Green blinking dot is present in CPU-Z on 9.5.1 firmware however as others have reported.

After about 4 hours of being on 9.5.1 and not experiencing any Ghost Touches, I decided to update to latest firmware available in my region (Canada), and updated to 9.5.4.GM21AA.
    I immediately tried CPU-Z in the updated firmware. Green dot is no longer present, so maybe something since 9.5.1 broke that sensor? I left the phone for a few minutes and I got a total of 3 touches in about 4 minutes. Nothing crazy.

I have left my NFC on since getting the phone and updating, and to this moment, I have not experienced any Ghost Touches outside of CPU-Z. I have not yet tested the phone with an NFC card/reader to see if it makes the phone go crazy, but I will tomorrow when I'm at the nearby mall where the EV car chargers use NFC to start the charging session.​

my to, I m on 9.5.1,for 1 day and I have not got any ghost touch. I will perform the update this afternoon and will post back if ghost touches are present

porter_sc and Hackerspy like this.
  15. AdamLon11
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2019

AdamLon11 , Jun 1, 2019 :
    I also have this issue. Hadn't really noticed it in other apps but installed CPU-Z and it definitely happens.

16. H1558883691012
    Froyo Jun 1, 2019

17. AdamLon11
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2019

AdamLon11 , Jun 1, 2019 :
    Just to add to this...

I think there are probably a lot of people who may not realise they have this issue.

Initially, I was looking for information regarding a strange issue I had, with the top left and top right of the touchscreen becoming unresponsive at times and stumbled across the "ghost touches" issue. It made me remember some strange things that happened previously, which could be explained by this issue but didn't really think much of it at the time.

I then installed the CPU-Z app and just switched to one of the tabs and didn't touch anything, only to find that the "ghost touches" were happening without me touching the screen at all. I did have to wait a few seconds for it to happen though, so some people may not think they have the issue unless they test it properly.

Have spoken to a very, very unhelpful support agent who could barely speak English and their advice has been to return the device, which makes me think they believe this could be an issue with the hardware rather than the software. Really disappointed it's taking OnePlus so long to make an official announcement on this.

18. xythiii
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 1, 2019

Curtixman likes this.
  19. Confirmed_civil_engineer
    Froyo Jun 1, 2019

Confirmed_civil_engineer , Jun 1, 2019 :
    regarding all that have been said on this thread since one week this has the best chance to be a software issue. has long has you're under warranty for hardware problem I would suggest you to wait for an update father than returning your phone and wait for it to get back/make OP lose money. (the company still is great)

jdpeters79 and H1558883691012 like this.
  20. Q1559410128227
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2019

Q1559410128227 , Jun 1, 2019 :
    Yes, very strange this communication from OP... I have not yet the phone, I check this post because i wanted to buy it ... In my mind, it's not good, it will be a hardware issue, that's why OP are mute