1. Sdelcegno
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

Sdelcegno , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Can't you just turn nfc off?

Narayan_Shrestha likes this.
  2. seajamiet
    Donut Jun 2, 2019

seajamiet , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I've turned NFC off and voila the issue is gone. But in no way is that a solution or even a workaround that's sustainable. The way I see it is:

1) it's a hardware problem and OnePlus starts a whole Repair program for affected devices.
    2) it's a hardware problem but instead of OnePlus doing a repair program, they find a way to mitigate it in software (something like reducing NFC power levels or decreasing touch screen sensitivity). not ideal but more cost effective for OnePlus.
    3) Just a standard software issue.

I'm airing on the side of 1) unfortunately though, because turning off NFC doesn't mean it's a software issue, it just means it's NFC related. Plus if this was software I get the feeling the ghost touches would happen all over the screen, not just near the top.

PS. Has anyone confirmed where the NFC antennas are in the OP7 pro? My bet it's right where the ghost touches are occuring.

3. G_Morad_Hajaliloo_WXAt
    Gingerbread Jun 2, 2019

G_Morad_Hajaliloo_WXAt , Jun 2, 2019 :
    At this point it's really a guessing game whether it's software or hardware. It's definitely possible for OnePlus to mitigate a majority of the ghost touches via software since most of the users on the initial launch software did not report ghost touches. It really depends on what the logs collected from various devices show, and only OnePlus knows the answer to that.

4. seajamiet
    Donut Jun 2, 2019

Yeah agreed. We just need answers from OnePlus because we can all speculate and debate what's going on but in truth only OnePlus knows the true story.

Ah well, even with this issue the phone for me is living up to exactly why for the first time ever I pre-ordered.

5. Pareshkd
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

Pareshkd , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Ya me too..in my ONEPLUS 6..
    after update 9.0.5
    I m facing a severe ghost touch..
    infact i have done 3 times factory reset and changed screen protector..but didnt get any result..
    its annoying..
    HELP IT OUT ..

6. nik_IITM
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

nik_IITM , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I wanted to confirm once before buying this phone if this issue is hardware related then will it be covered under warranty? I mean sometime later they announce that the issue is related to hardware & not the software then will I be able to solve it without paying anything to one plus? (Obviously during warranty period)

I talked to customer care of OnePlus now & she told me that she doesn't know if this will be covered under warranty or not.

7. PatLan1989
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

PatLan1989 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Thats what I think aswell. Especially nr. 2. Thats the only reason it takes that much time and noone is talking to us.

seajamiet likes this.
  8. H1558883691012
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

H1558883691012 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    seajamiet

I've turned NFC off and voila the issue is gone. But in no way is that a solution or even a workaround that's sustainable. The way I see it is:

1) it's a hardware problem and OnePlus starts a whole Repair program for affected devices.
    2) it's a hardware problem but instead of OnePlus doing a repair program, they find a way to mitigate it in software (something like reducing NFC power levels or decreasing touch screen sensitivity). not ideal but more cost effective for OnePlus.

I'm airing on the side of 1) unfortunately though, because turning off NFC doesn't mean it's a software issue, it just means it's NFC related. Plus if this was software I get the feeling the ghost touches would happen all over the screen, not just near the top.

PS. Has anyone confirmed where the NFC antennas are in the OP7 pro? My bet it's right where the ghost touches are occuring.

if it is hw why is it not present on 9.5.1? I m on the 3 day on this is version and I had not one ghost touch with NFC always on and playing with other phones to transfer data over NFC

if it's hw it has to be present in this version to

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

stacymilne and Hackerspy like this.
  9. H1558883691012
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

H1558883691012 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    they don't have another option.
    if they don't do it right, the situation will explodes in her hands and they will be the only responsable for the situation they got...

10. Z1558768065564
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

Z1558768065564 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Hello guys!

I have been experiencing phantom touches across multiple apps... WhatsApp, YouTube, Opera Touch Browser and Google photos.

Have you been experiencing the same?

11. wickedscav
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

wickedscav , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Same here, I am still using my OP 3T and waiting for OP to fix this for real before making a purchase.

I am still hoping that this is NOT hardware issue or I might be forced for the 7T...

12. Derple
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

Derple , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Yes, there's 64 pages on this thread of people talking about it. Disabling NFC is the workaround for now.

13. seajamiet
    Donut Jun 2, 2019

I haven't used that version, that's why.

Those are just my views at present. Its pure speculation, though.

14. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Jun 2, 2019

xenom0rph , Jun 2, 2019 :
    guys if it was hardware then it would been present on 9.5.1 on Pro version.
    The fact my 5G model has newer kernel from 9.5.3 on my 5g 9.5.1 and it had ghost touches means it cant be hardware.
    hardware faults cant appear only if you update kernel.

15. Noodles222
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

Noodles222 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Exactly !!

16. edrose
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

edrose , Jun 2, 2019 :

seajamiet

PS. Has anyone confirmed where the NFC antennas are in the OP7 pro? My bet it's right where the ghost touches are occuring.​

The NFC coil is not where the touches are occuring. If you draw a line down from the popup camera, and then across from the centre of the main camera, the point where they intersect is where the NFC coil is. About 1/3rd down the screen and 1/3rd from the right.

I'm a developer and I've had a look through kernel logs coming out of my phone as the touches are occuring. What you see are memory errors whenever ghost touches occur, and none when ghost touches aren't occuring - that can't be a coincidence. We also know that there is a memory leak within the touchscreen driver on a function called get_touch_points(). My current best theory is that the driver has a memory management issue, resulting in random blocks of memory being returned instead of proper data about touch locations. I think NFC probably causes the issue since it'll be using the same kernel memory space and will probably have quite a lot of kernel memory, meaning it's more likely to trigger these memory issues within the touchscreen driver.

We also know the issue isn't present on 9.5.1 on the Pro, which is using the April 23rd kernel build. The Pro 5G does have ghost touches on 9.5.1, but since the android security patch for that is more recent, it's very likely the kernel build is also more recent. The kernel build would largely be independent of the OOS version so there being a driver issue makes sense at this point.

That's my view on the issue. Hopefully that gives you confidence.

Edit: Typo

Also I should probably mention if it's not already obvious that this is my personal opinion of what's happening given the knowledge I have. I don't have any inside information from OnePlus or anything like that, so it is possible I'm completely wrong. I'm working off information from here and on the open source repository for the 7 series kernel that's on GitHub.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

17. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 2, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Great summary, thanks for putting that together!

18. PatLan1989
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

PatLan1989 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Awesome job.

19. insomnia77
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

insomnia77 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    If l that's the case then oneplus could simply rollback the firmware no? At least until they can sort out the issue with the new one?

20. W1559292845302
    Donut Jun 2, 2019

W1559292845302 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I agree.