Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. utpalpande
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

utpalpande , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I really hope that's the case. However, reviewers might also have missed out on those Phantom / Ghost touches. It'll be interesting to see if any reviewer has revisited her / his review and acknowledged the issue. I think all reviewers got the Nebula Blue 12GB + 256GB model; but somebody has already debunked the theory that "this variant doesn't have the ghost touch issue."

What makes the situation precarious here in India is the fact that you cannot freely return the product if you discover some issue with it—it can only be replaced and only after a dodgy diagnostic app authorised by Amazon certifies that the device does have some problem.

2. TheDarkWizard
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

3. Curtixman
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

Curtixman , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Just when I finally thought I could put this awful company in my rear-view mirror having received the refund for my OnePlus 7 Pro a couple days ago, today I was looking through my credit card transactions and noticed that OnePlus shorted me on the refund.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

Gaurav Rohilla and t3chn0m4g3 like this.
  4. oneplusmc
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

oneplusmc , Jun 2, 2019 :
    My case may shed some light here. I had the display of my OnePlus 3 broken and replaced recently. After that the ghost touches appeared. Never had them before. So this might be rather a general display production issue for OnePlus phones than OP7 related. As if some units came from a new production line or lower quality materials were used.

t3chn0m4g3 and Szityu like this.
  5. LIRV7
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

LIRV7 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I have been able to reproduce this issue.
    I opened CPU-Z and activated NFC at the same time, and the notification bar comes down by itself from time to time. Although these ghost touches never happened to me without CPU-Z opened.
    Here is an explanation from a spanish youtuber, very technical and thorough about this issue(in spanish):

6. edrose
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

edrose , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Are you able to provide a summary in English?

W1559292845302 likes this.
  7. LIRV7
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

LIRV7 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    It´s quite difficult to sum up everything. The best thing i can advice is try to activate subtitles in english, even if they´re automatically generated.

But to try to summarize in just one sentence: this issue is related to the driver of the touch panel, that seems to be very sensitive to electromagnetic fields. Thats why when CPU-Z(that activates all sensors) paired with the NFC is more common to have ghost-touches.

However, there seems to be something more to it. He thinks it is also a hardware matter (shielding he calls it) but he isn´t completely sure.

t3chn0m4g3 likes this.
  8. W1559292845302
    Donut Jun 2, 2019

W1559292845302 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    We just want Oneplus to tell us whether this is a hardware or a software issue. Hundreds of people are still in doubt and are unable to make any decision.

9. t3chn0m4g3
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

t3chn0m4g3 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    If OnePlus does not come up with a solution for this I am just buying the Xiaomi 9T Pro (is the Redmi K20 Pro in Germany) or the S10+. However spec wise the 7 Pro is my 1st choice. Since I am switching from Apple because I am fed up with brand I do not want to end up with the same from another brand.

10. Derple
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

Derple , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I did a little digging on some custom kernels, and found one that merged the synaptics_get_touch_points() memory leak fix that's been an open pull request on the official OP7Pro kernel source on GitHub. If anyone is willing to try it, it can be found here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/on.../kernel-kirisakura-1-0-0-op7-pro-aka-t3933916

If you try it, be sure to test for ghost touches and report back. Obviously, if you don't understand what this is, don't attempt to try it before doing some research.

EDIT:
    If you're curious, here's the commit where the fix was merged into that custom kernel:
    https://github.com/freak07/OP7PRO/commit/37c1adfaf8f9c96444ffd94c2190b5b1e23a53a9

Here's the pull request on the official OP7Pro kernel source github page, which is the same as the commit above:
    https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8150/pull/1

EDIT 2:
    The download link (AndroidFileHost) for the custom kernel appears to be down at the moment (at least for me), hopefully it comes back up soon.

EDIT 3:
    ElementalX has also merged the memory leak fix, and it can be found here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...kernel-oneplus-7-pro-elementalx-1-01-t3933506
    My past experience with ElementalX has always been fantastic, and I'd recommend trying this one over the other. Not saying the other is bad (never tried it), just going on my experience. It also uses AndroidFileHost for downloads, but it could be back up by the time you're reading this.

EDIT 4:
    Unfortunately, it's still happening after flashing ElementalX on OOS 9.5.6.GM21AA. Considering the commit was made a couple weeks ago while the 1.03 update came out a couple days ago, I'd assume it includes the memory leak fix. However, it would be nice to see if the memory errors went away and I'm not the one for that. Perhaps edrose could try this?

11. Ausdroid_scott
    Froyo Jun 2, 2019

Ausdroid_scott , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Yes. I have it on my review unit. Pity, great phone otherwise

utpalpande and t3chn0m4g3 like this.
  12. fthielen
    Donut Jun 2, 2019

fthielen , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I also have the same issue with nfc turned on.
    As soon as I disable nfc the ghost touches go away.

8G/256G version

13. jlopez03
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

jlopez03 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Can confirm the ghost touch issue happening here on my 12 GB 256 GB model. it's not overwhelming but using apps like Facebook and even typing with Gboard at times The button goes dead or the screen takes a mind of its own. This is hindering what is otherwise the best smart phone experience I've ever had and I came from the mate 20 pro (Just in time!) Soo... let's see if there are some patches and or updates that can fix this issue. it's not as severe for me as i have seen reported, but it does not belong on this phone period!

jdpeters79 and t3chn0m4g3 like this.
  14. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 2, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Just out of curiosity, did you have it on your review unit while still on 9.5.1 and the previous kernel?

15. Ausdroid_scott
    Froyo Jun 3, 2019

Ausdroid_scott , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Didn't notice it on previous software. But now it is very prevalent. Driving with maps yesterday was nearly impossible due to the ghost touches adding stops etc.

jdpeters79 likes this.
  16. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Gotcha. Yeah that's what we keep seeing, the original OS and kernel didn't seem to have the problem, thus pointing to driver issues etc (edrose posted about that above in a great summary). Mine is bad enough to where I keep NFC off, unless I absolutely need it.

17. H1558883691012
    Froyo Jun 3, 2019

H1558883691012 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I m still on 9.5.1 and I have zero ghost touches

18. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    That's good info. It's been at least 3 days for you, right? Whereas if you update, you'd probably see it within hours after. Just seems to cement the idea of it being software driven, not that I had much doubt it was at this point!

jlopez03 likes this.
  19. Spectr_
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

Spectr_ , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I, too, have not updated from 9.5.1 and have had no issues whatsoever. With or without CPUZ on. It's been more than a week for me. NFC is always on and I've even made purchases with it and tested with other NFC gadgets nearby to increase signal and all that.

12gb version here

20. TheDarkWizard
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2019