Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. W1559292845302
    Donut Jun 3, 2019

W1559292845302 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Did they mention if it's a software or a hardware issue?

2. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

xenom0rph , Jun 3, 2019 :
    nope

3. Mike_Routso
    Donut Jun 3, 2019

Mike_Routso , Jun 3, 2019 :
    ghost touch here at facebook messenger.
    today made a video call while i was checking a conversation and i wasn't touching the phone.

4. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Well, a couple things. First, we are all speculating about this, myself included, so I definitely am the first to admit I could be very wrong and my opinions way off. We've had some very knowledgeable people on this thread chime in and offer insight based on their expertise in development, but they are speculating too. That said, I'm not sure any of us could claim there is a true design flaw or something of that nature with the info we have, just as none of use could 100% say it's all software right now.

Second, to your point, there are tons of variables involved in smartphone design in general. I am sure there are several aspects of signals etc that need the proper mitigation through both design of hardware and software. I agree with you, it could very well be that a software solution "fixes" a hardware interference issue or something like that, but it doesn't necessarily imply the design is flawed. That would depend highly on what the actual problem was.

I do find it interesting that the problem showed itself most likely due to the OS and kernel update. With what little I know about phone design, I do know that a lot of things could affect performance of the hardware based on the kernel and the drivers. So it would not be that surprising if something complicated was simply happening in the kernel and needs to be unraveled.

But again... these are just my slightly informed opinions. I just hope they fix it, ultimately :)

jlopez03 likes this.
  5. marcinsu
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 3, 2019

marcinsu , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I have ghost touches in Message (app for SMS. created by google), telephone (auto call), tapatalk, firefox (in address bar).

I must return this phone, I cannot wait anymore for OS update...

Mike_Routso likes this.
  6. jlopez03
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

jlopez03 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    wow it must be that bad. What baffles me is the level of severity from device to device, because some users like myself have it but it's a minor nuisance (that should still not exist nonetheless) and other users are reporting that it completely cripples their phone. either way the issue needs a resolution for those of us who have it and even those who are not experiencing it as it may creep up in the future. Who knows?! Either way I'm sticking with mine and waiting for a concrete answer /solution to this. Sorry you are going through this man.

marcinsu and jdpeters79 like this.
  7. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

I honestly think that if OnePlus offers a solution via software, and the problem is still widespread like it is now, they will have to issue some form of recall. I personally believe that is unlikely but no one is going to truly feel comfortable until they at least offer that first possible fix.

jlopez03 likes this.
  8. jlopez03
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

jlopez03 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    exactly I'd rather wait a bit for a well fleshed out fix than a band-aid that comes to haunt me later on!

jdpeters79 likes this.
  9. Noodles222
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

Noodles222 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I have just had a chat with some One PLus guy ( Ryan Cloke )... I asked if they are aware about the issue, and if its hardware, software, when the fix is comming etc etc.. Based on his answer, he didnt have that much info about ghost touches.. He replied that yes, there are some notes in community ... as always, he suggested to turn NFC off, and that the technicians are working on it bla bla bla... Dont know what to think now, this thread started 21st of May.. it will be almost two weeks...Maybe, if we write them every day, each one of us, bombing them to start doing something, they will realise the issue more.. Personally, I dont have ONe PLus 7 Pro, waiting to purchase one as soon as fix is done...

There was for short period of time notice in bug hunters thread, that soon the fix will come, but they removed it silently without any notice... I am more concerned that this is software related, but the waiting period does not make me feel confident... Maybe if we write some official open letter for the whole community, or do something that will point this problem straight to their eyes, that things are not doing OK with their phone, because of this seriouse issue..

We all know that there are other issues, but those are not that hard to fix I guess as this one.. Personally, I will write them now every day, trying to find answers from them.. Maybe, I will have luck that somebody on online chat will have more info.. Here, we can only speculate, think, argue if its hardware, software...

Even if I have pointed out today on online chat how bad it is, the guy from One PLus kept asking me what is the order number, when I have purchased the phone, IMEI etc...

I am just trying to find the way how to force them for even some small reply like " Yes, there is memory leak, or driver issue, hold on, we are testing it bla bla"...

One more thing: Is there a way to downgrade the OS version to 9.5.1?

Curtixman, everkurt and jlopez03 like this.
  10. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

I tried to see if they would answer us on Twitter. So far no response, but I'm going to keep trying. I don't know if a lot of people have already tweeted then about it... couldn't hurt for more to try, though.

https://twitter.com/GoBroncsGoCaps/status/1135276607789305857?s=19

jlopez03, Noodles222 and marcinsu like this.
  11. Noodles222
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

jlopez03 and jdpeters79 like this.
  12. jlopez03
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

jlopez03 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    you are right time to bombard them. They are stepping on the big stage with this phone, so they must be held accountable accordingly for an issue like this which is a deal breaker for many. No more flimsy answers from them! provide the proper support or suffer the PR/ Sales nightmare!

13. marcinsu
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 3, 2019

marcinsu , Jun 3, 2019 :
    The support team has no information about this problem. I asked about the ghost touches and someone from the support team told me that this is a problem with the CPU-Z application software ...
    Now I know that the problem applies not only to this one application but also to others.

jdpeters79 likes this.
  14. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

Yeah that is lame. I hate it when support teams are completely unprepared or unaware of ongoing issues. I'd like to see a groundswell of Twitter replies to them, that exposes the issue in a bigger way and perhaps forces more of a reply from them. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and I still do to some extent, but a quick statement on the issue would go a long way for all of us.

15. akhil.7
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

akhil.7 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I am looking to buy this phone and was about to buy it but decided to hold back when i read about these ghost touches. I sent 2 emails to the oneplus support team and got vague responses. It seems the support team has no idea about the issue and there is no point in sending emails regarding this. We need a statement from the team that is actually involved in fixing this - the bug hunter team probably or an official statement from OnePlus.

16. SYZW
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

SYZW , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I am running oos 9.5.6 with elementalx kernel.Ghost touch is very rare in cpuz with NFC enabled.None outside cpuz.[e]263a[/e]

17. edrose
    Froyo Jun 3, 2019

edrose , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I just want to step in quickly and say that if it is a software fix to a hardware issue then that would be perfectly acceptable for me. Here's why.

When you design theses things and are trying to mitigate the effects of interference, then you tackle it from two angles. Firstly you do some physical shielding and you mitigate it in hardware as much as possible, basically by wrapping sensitive components in Faraday cages. There are a lot of signals in phones however, and you'll have radios and antennas for 2G, 3G, 4G, (5G,) 2.4 GHz Bluetooth/WiFi, 5GHz WiFi, GPS, NFC, and maybe others I've missed. On top of that any data lines which operate at particular frequencies will act as antennas and also cause interference. You're not going to get a perfect solution with physical shielding alone, and something will usually slip through. So the next part is software filtering to tackle it. The signals you're filtering at this point are going to be a lot smaller, and interference can usually be removed since you know what the interfering signals should look like. However the filtering will still need to be tuned for each phone design.

The point I'm trying to make is that the software is part of the designed shielding from these signals. You can even get capacitive touch controller chips that are advertised as needing no shielding, since everything is filtered at a firmware level. So updating that software isn't a lazy hack, it's just an update to what's already there. That's why I wouldn't mind a software solution to an issue that has its roots in hardware.

Edit: Should definitely add that I don't mind as long as the functionality of the phone isn't hindered by any fix, that would obviously be unacceptable.

18. jbae1221
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

19. insomnia77
    Froyo Jun 3, 2019

20. jlopez03
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

jlopez03 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    also something to consider there have been many other phones from other OEMs that have had ghost touch issues. I really can't remember how these issues were handled but obviously they were handled one way or another. My only experience with ghost touch issues was flashing all.typea of crazy rooms with souped up Kernels to my HTC One S. going back to stock or finding a stable room always fixed the issue.

jdpeters79 likes this.