Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

xenom0rph , Jun 3, 2019 :
    no a vague coming weeks so anytime

2. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    They said they're making a firmware update, so I think that implicitly means they're saying it's a software issue (or at least can be fixed by software). Honestly I doubt they will make a definitive claim one way or the other right now, because they could open themselves up to class action suits and similar if they were too specific and turned out to be wrong later. Not saying I agree with that, but it's the unfortunate nature of business.

3. utpalpande
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

utpalpande , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Good to hear that! I shall wait for a few more weeks until the picture is clear and hopefully without any phantom taps ;)

nik_IITM likes this.
  4. G_Morad_Hajaliloo_WXAt
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

G_Morad_Hajaliloo_WXAt , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Guys does it really matter if it's hardware or software if they update the firmware and the issue is resolved? It could be a combination of the two. If you can't be patient then return the device and move on with your life, figure out a way to sell it, or if you're stuck with the device then turn off NFC and wait. It's as simple as that. I'm coming from a S10+ where even the factory installed screen protector turns the fingerprint sensor to crap with my dry fingers. Does that mean it's a hardware issue or software? Seriously guys this is getting out of control! OnePlus already said they're going to release a firmware update to address it. Please relax and enjoy life.

5. xythiii
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 3, 2019

xythiii , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Weeks..!!!! i think this is a hardware flaw and oneplus trying to hide it somehow making a software problem and like their gonna fix it ti dont trust them....

6. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

That's a pretty big assumption. If you feel that way, just return the phone, don't live with the paranoia :)

xythiii and baiosss like this.
  7. pacman1969
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

pacman1969 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Totally agree!

8. H1558883691012
    Froyo Jun 3, 2019

9. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

10. edrose
    Froyo Jun 3, 2019

edrose , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Thank you for that response David. I shared my log files with your bug hunters and am always happy to help.

There has been a lot of speculation about this and we're all very interested. Are you able to elaborate on the cause of the issue at all? One of the things I love about the company is the openness it provides to developers to own the hardware, such as providing an unlockable bootloader and releasing kernel sources to allow for third party ROMs to be developed. This shouldn't be sensitive information so a more in-depth explanation would be great.

11. PatLan1989
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

PatLan1989 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I wonder why its not official. Maybe more speculation than facts...?!

12. H1558883691012
    Froyo Jun 3, 2019

H1558883691012 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    sorry, I just saw it and I don't checked on the forum before posting :p

13. jtkorkea
    Donut Jun 3, 2019

jtkorkea , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Stickied post by a staff member on this very thread not official enough?

But yeah, still speculation wether it is software or hardware. Or both. I'm hoping software but it just might be quality or design issue.

14. alami.shayan
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

alami.shayan , Jun 3, 2019 :
    All i hope is if they are going to resolve it , i hope it wouldn't be with some performance downgrade, like touch performance or other aspects of user experience, i believe it's a software problem but how they are going to fix this is important.

15. shirokuro73
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

shirokuro73 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I saw an article on the verge I think where they said they will fix it. that's great, but well today I encountered an issue which, for me, is far far worse. my Google Work profile stopped working. totally. every work profile app crashes immediately. I've removed and readded the work profile at least 4 times now. starts working and then suddenly just stops. I have never had this on any other Android phone, not even other onepluses. This is a 100% deal breaker for me. my return period ends tomorrow I think. I'm really sad to return the phone but this is not something that I can put up with at all. I'm so disappointed. what amazing hardware, but my experience has been nothing but software problems. what a shame.

16. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but for what it's worth, several Google services were down for.some time yesterday. might be some residual effects?

shirokuro73 likes this.
  17. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

Going back to us reaching out to them on Twitter, they responded to me via DM. Same message as we received above. So "upcoming weeks" is as much detail as we will get for now.
    1559596993301.jpg

18. shirokuro73
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

shirokuro73 , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Hi JD, I did wonder about that! I still have my previous phone - Galaxy Note 9 - and the work profile on that is absolutely fine. Actually, what might have triggered it is that this morning I moved my SIM card back to the Note - in order to make a final decision on whether to keep the OP and sell the Note, or return the OP and keep the Note. I later powered the OP on (with no SIM card) and started having the work profile issues. After that, no amount of SIM swapping, or removing and re-adding the work profile, has fixed the issue. Sometimes the Google Device Policy app crashes right in the middle of adding the work profile. And if I do get the work profile working again, it only works for a little while and then the crashes come back. I am performing one last hail mary which is a complete factory restore of the OP and set up from scratch. If the work profile still has issue, I'm filing the return :-( I received the phone on the 21st, so I think I have until tomorrow, maybe Wednesday, to return. If I wasn't so close to the return window, I would be willing to work with OP support on the issue, but I can't take the chance of being stuck with a phone with this issue. It makes the phone absolutely unsuitable for me. I'm really shocked, I have never experienced this kind of problem with the work profile on any android phone before, even previous OnePluses (I had a 5T and a 6T).

19. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

Seems really strange! I have no experience with Google work, so I can't really offer much opinion. It would be weird if it was phone related, I agree, but who knows. Hope you get it working. And depending on your location, if you have the 15 day return window, I believe you just need to get the RMA going before that period is up. So if you do submit one, I'd be sure to chat with their support to make sure it gets processed quickly.

jlopez03 and shirokuro73 like this.
  20. jlopez03
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

shirokuro73 likes this.