Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. Noodles222
    Eclair Jun 4, 2019

Noodles222 , Jun 4, 2019 :
    future spam in next weeks: Hi There, are you interested in investing to One Plus 7 Pro? but you are afraid of ghost touches? Or afraid it is a hardware problem? Tell me one thing, are you happy with your One Plus 7 Pro? Do you want to get rid of ghost touches? If yes, then I advice you join the One Plus community.. Its the future.. Buy the phone today, return it later.. Now choice is yours ;) call One plus support.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019

2. Timeno
    Eclair Jun 4, 2019

Timeno , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Curtixman can you **** off please.
    You returned your phone, you posted like 100 times already in this post.
    Always negative comments about OnePlus or the phone itself.
    Just go away man.

RoverX likes this.
  3. edrose
    Froyo Jun 4, 2019

edrose , Jun 4, 2019 :
    There's almost certainly some meaning that's lost in translation. That's a Google translation of the changelog, so it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. The two symbols that make up the word "optimise" literally translate to "you change". There may also be a cultural issue where you never claim something is fixed in China to avoid legal action maybe? I don't know I'm speculating, but without a native speaker chiming in we can't really pull apart the meaning. You can't conclude it's a hardware issue from a Google translate result.

jdpeters79 likes this.
  4. edrose
    Froyo Jun 4, 2019

edrose , Jun 4, 2019 :
    You've gone from salty, to plain offensive and borderline racist. You made a rash decision to return your phone and you regret it, we get it. No need to spend the rest of the time justifying that to yourself with ridiculous smears on both the company and on China.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019

5. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 4, 2019 :
    I'm almost convinced he's just here to troll at this point. It would probably be good for us to report that awful post and any others like it. It's just childish and ridiculous, we really don't need it here.

edrose and RoverX like this.
  6. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 4, 2019

EABowden , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Curved screens are not fit for purpose. Not only do you get accidental touches that can be a nightmare (especially if you're in a betting or other money-based app), the glare and distortion along the curves can make the device unusable.

I came to OnePlus when Samsung launched the S6 edge. They have since reduced the curve - it seems OnePlus have made an error that Samsung made four years ago

Uncle timmy likes this.
  7. Jeresone
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

Jeresone , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Here are my issues.
    &
    I had to return the phone (Oneplus 7 Pro 8/256). This new phone doesn't have those problems, but the whole top part of the phone is missing the info bar (sometimes). When the bar is missing, the phone doesn't react to any touch functions on the top of the display. Also, I can't get to my notifications/options. Now I don't know if I should return this phone and just use my old Oneplus 6.

ducted and dcmcc24 like this.
  8. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

The ghost touches we're talking about have nothing to do with the edges, they're usually at the top or sometimes bottom of the display, and they're a glitch that OnePlus is working on.

9. EABowden

EABowden , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Oh, so it's even worse than I imagined!

So sad, I'm such a fanboi and I won't go near the latest device

10. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

They've just communicated that they will release a firmware update. It will probably fix the issue, and temporarily it can be fixed by disabling NFC. But other than that, the phone is fantastic.

11. Jeresone
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

Jeresone , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Probably... This is the problem. What if they don't / can't fix all the issues. I have only two week time period when I can return my phone. After that... Nothing I can do. Plus I use NFC all the time so turning the functions off is not something I would like to do.

12. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it - if the software didn't fix it and it turns out to be a bigger problem, there will be a lot of us in the same situation as you. They would have to address it with warranty at that point, which we have for at least 12 months. I really don't think it's going to matter anyway, but personally I would not worry about that.

13. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

xenom0rph , Jun 4, 2019 :
    they said they identified the issue and will issue fix problems is could be next week or next month. I doubt they would say it's identified if no fix yet.

mojoyoyo77 likes this.
  14. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

I'm sure they are just going to roll it in with other updates, that's probably why they have said "in the coming weeks"

15. Oxie
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

Oxie , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Yes, but warranty doesn't mean you can just return it and get your money back. Compared to the return-within-14-days thing, it's a rather more complicated process and it's primarily there to get your product repaired, not to get your money back.

Personally, I would rather return it within the 14 days than to have to deal with the warranty process.

16. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

Yes, I do understand that. I think if anyone is that concerned about it even after they've announced a software fix coming, then it would be better to return it. No reason to live with anxiety.

17. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

xenom0rph , Jun 4, 2019 :
    those seem very odd.
    I never experienced anything like that
    Its not as common as ghost touch issue it seems so having 2 bad phones in a row seems quite odd.

G_Ben_rGwn likes this.
  18. Jeresone
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

Jeresone , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Yeah, my luck. But first I thought that the reason was the Nova Launcher. It wasn't, the same thing happened after the factory reset with 1+ launcher. The first phone was totally unusable. The whole screen was doing weird things all the time + ghosting on the left and right corners. This new phone only has the top screen problem. I'll record that next time when it happens.

19. pgrey

pgrey , Jun 4, 2019 :
    @edrose Yep, this is a GREAT summary.

I'd add though, that the display/touch driver should NOT be sharing ANY kernel memory blocks, EXCEPT in very specific circumstances, as gated by the kernel API.
    "Randomly scribbling on other blocks", is a HUGE no-no, always has been, FOR ANY MODERN OS, but most modern processors, support full exception-handling for this, which means errors are thrown, every time this happens (if it's rampant, the throw-catch's alone might be causing some issues, they're not exactly "inexpensive" themselves).

Thanks for providing the analytics, I was trying to talk myself into upgrading my (very dated) Android dev environment (I'm more of a Win dev, just dabble/debug occasionally on Android), and looking through all the latest debug extensions. Your post saves me some misery, and I can stop feeling guilty for not "debugging this properly" now ;-]

edrose likes this.
  20. pgrey

pgrey , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Yep, again, perfect summary of "version control" for tightly-integrated fixes.
    Simply "Rolling back" one small change, IF THEY KNOW THE EXACT ISSUE, has TONS of test-cycle implications, alone.
    What if they broke proximity-to-face, in the process, because they "de-tuned" that sensor, and saw the fix working, but then didn't have time to full regress all the proximity tests (let alone the unit-tests), then everyone would be super-upset that their phone was "hanging up on them" all the time, when their face touched the screen in a call...

Patience is the key here, period. We want OP to make an accurate, well-tested fix, and ONLY that, or at least I DO, and I suspect many others do as well, such as @edrose ;-]
    Most phone OEMs would take months to fix this, and then it'd trickle down to the distro-mechanism, either direct, if you're lucky, or through your carrier, if you're not, perhaps adding even more weeks/months, while they verify the fix, too.
    If this were a "security issue" (not saying this isn't possible, but I haven't seen any demonstrable evidence to that effect, yet), then it might make sense to rush a "quick patch", followed by a "full patch", the risk would make the call worth it (depending on the type of security issue). It's not, at least evident, and we just need to sit-tight, and be happy that OP fixes things so-darn-fast, compared to almost any other OEM out there...