Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. Derple
    Froyo Jun 6, 2019

Derple , Jun 6, 2019 :
    if I understand correctly, the line issues discussed in this thread are horizontal. That screenshot talks about a vertical line from top to bottom on the screen.

jdpeters79 likes this.
  2. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

jdpeters79 , Jun 6, 2019 :
    There's no definite answer to this, as you'll see in the whole thread, but OnePlus says they are going to roll out a fix in the next software update.

3. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense. I can barely see any horizontal lines (if I even see any at all) when I try to look very closely. But yeah, probably part of a different issue and thread.

4. Derple
    Froyo Jun 6, 2019

Derple , Jun 6, 2019 :
    Yeah never noticed it either, even when attempting to cause it. Both that issue and ghost touch I never noticed till this thread lol.

jdpeters79 likes this.
  5. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

Haha... you need to get off the forums before it's too late! ;)

Derple likes this.
  6. Derple
    Froyo Jun 6, 2019

Derple , Jun 6, 2019 :
    I'm past the return period at this point, but I'm not too concerned. Still worries me, but I don't experience them in day to day use (literally never used NFC in my life, still don't). If there is some hardware issue that needs fixed, it'll be covered by warranty and I have my old phone as a backup if needed (though I know not everyone does).

jdpeters79 likes this.
  7. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

Same with me. Except no backup phone. But I can get an inexpensive one on Amazon and have a 30 day return window if needed. And we probably won't need to anyway. This is relatively minor as bugs and issues go.

8. devin37354
    Donut Jun 6, 2019

devin37354 , Jun 6, 2019 :
    I didn't have the issue, and have had the phone from day 1, on T-Mobile software. yesterday I switched to international due to TMobile trying to force video calls from the dialer through them and not duo. right after the upgrade to international firmware, the issue started happening and happens pretty frequently and bad until NFC is turned off.

9. L1558310960302
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

L1558310960302 , Jun 6, 2019 :
    So guys, I was thinking of getting this phone, do you guys think I should wait or it is pretty much confirmed as a software issue?

10. jdpeters79
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

It's a great phone. If you are on the fence you may want to wait until they roll out the update and see if it fixes the issue, which they say is in weeks. My opinion is that it will be fine, I'm not worried about it and I don't need NFC regularly anyway. But it doesn't hurt to wait a bit either.

pgrey likes this.
  11. baiosss
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2019

baiosss , Jun 6, 2019 :
    I see those lines also in my oneplus 5 too. Don't think it's something to worry about.

12. pgrey
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2019

pgrey , Jun 6, 2019 :
    @edrose
    Yeah, I've done lots of kernel work, but it's (almost) all in Windows, or really old Apple stuff (really old, I'm not even going to say...), pre-iOS should be enough ;-]

BIG thanks for the "collaboration" here, BTW, it's nice to have "positive, constructive" conversation about this! The speculation is a bit rampant, if you ask me ;-]

It looks to me like "VMScan" is a "VM cleanup/shrink module", I just looked at a bit of the source, and I bet that eats some cycles, too, it's a pretty intensive module, from first-glance.
    https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/mm/vmscan.c (this may be dated, not sure on the source, but the "idea" is there).

Yeah, it sure looks like the memory-manager is REALLY struggling there, when this happens, given those "audit/putback" calls, potentially causing access-violations too, lots of them (it's hard to say if that's a virtual-zero or a real-zero, without more trace data, at least for me ;-]).
    That can't be helping, if there's a sensor discrepancy, and the memory-manger starts to "fall apart", at the same time, it's a not-so-happy-resource-constrained-time, for ANY kernel, at that point ;-]

Even though I'm not even close to a "real Android dev", I'd be interested in seeing the full traces, if you put them up somewhere public...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

13. pgrey
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2019

pgrey , Jun 6, 2019 :
    Yeah, this is my view, too. How many people REALLY use NFC, to the point where it can't be turned off, when NOT in use, and de-install a couple of apps that "trigger NFC", when it is in-use.
    My phone gets these "touches", IF I enable NFC, and if I fire up an app that triggers/tests the sensors, but I can't readily trigger it, with a "random NFC device", if those apps are disabled/not running.

I get that this is "distressing", to a few, particularly if your'e in the "very few" who use NFC a lot, but it's going to be fixed, look at the traces that have been posted, it's pretty obvious that this is s/w (as I postulated, from the beginning of my posts about this...).

14. fthielen
    Donut Jun 6, 2019

15. iacoplus
    Froyo Jun 6, 2019

iacoplus , Jun 6, 2019 :
    I think it'll take them a bit longer for that, it's not a case they said "in the upcoming weeks".

16. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

xenom0rph , Jun 6, 2019 :
    well they did not say next update ghost touch fix they said coming weeks.
    what annoys me more is 5g updates slowness

iacoplus likes this.
  17. midasziom
    Eclair Jun 6, 2019

midasziom , Jun 6, 2019 :
    Well that seems to be dated two days ago around the time they confirmed fix in upcoming weeks.

I hope it will be fixed in next one.

iacoplus likes this.
  18. G_Ben_rGwn
    Eclair Jun 6, 2019

19. fthielen
    Donut Jun 6, 2019

fthielen , Jun 6, 2019 :
    Ok, I updated my phone, and no ghost touches in CPU z.
    Hopefully it will stay that way

CMX35, midasziom and iacoplus like this.
  20. midasziom
    Eclair Jun 6, 2019

midasziom , Jun 6, 2019 :
    what version of Op7 pro you have? EU?