Lets Confirm Who Has the Ghost Touch Issue

1. iacoplus Froyo Jun 9, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 9, 2019 :
    I am experiencing the same, no ghost taps at all, but the touch sensitivity is definitely worse after updating. Very noticeable when scrolling in heavy apps like Facebook, Chrome or Instagram. Sometimes I have to swipe up/down through the whole screen to get it to work properly.

2. Spectr_ Eclair Jun 9, 2019

Spectr_, Jun 9, 2019 :
    It doesn't sound like that's a touch sensitivity issue at all, but a tweaked setting. The screen is still registering your entire swipe up/down, right? Try to enable touches in developer settings and see. If you see the little ball when you first touch the screen to scroll, then its not a sensitivity issue, but some setting about how much you need to drag in order for the app to interpret it as scrolling.

3. iacoplus Froyo Jun 9, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Thanks for the tip, I did try just now with both the options 'Show taps' and 'Pointer location' turned on the input is always registered correctly. So you're likely right there!

Spectr_ likes this.
  4. xspeedy Donut Jun 9, 2019

5. utpalpande Eclair Jun 9, 2019

utpalpande, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Received my OP7P today morning. It's the Nebula Blue 12GB RAM + 256GB Storage model; model GM1911; unit is assembled in India.

The phone shipped with Oxygen OS 9.5.1 and an OTA update for version 9.5.4 was available in my region. I manually downloaded the 9.5.7 and updated my phone. I've also sideloaded GCam mod for OP7P version 1.3.030119.0645build-6.1.021; link: https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7-pro-google-camera-port-video

These are my initial observations:
    • I haven't experienced any ghost / phantom touches in normal usage; NFC was on when I powered on the device (no I haven't downloaded CPU-Z and haven't enabled "show taps / touches)
    • The display is at 90 Hz and the battery drain is pretty normal—I would call it good, the device lost around 20% juice in 3 hours where I was downloading multiple apps from the Play Store over WiFi.
    • There is a very nominal temperature rise when using the device while it's charging; nothing unusual, it's simply obeying laws of physics I suppose.
    • Performance is quite good: the 9.5.7 update doesn't make the device less buttery. I used it straight out of the box and then after the update; I couldn't notice any difference in performance.
    • Performance vs battery life is also quite good. A 13 minute long gameplay on Asphalt 9 resulted in a 2% battery drain.
    • Call quality is good. I tested over a 4G network, Google Duo Calling and Whatsapp Voice Call; voice was clear on both ends.
    • Camera is good; very comparable to what GCam produced though I found the white balance better on GCam; but that can be very subjective.
    I'll be testing the phone in the coming days. Day 01 has been excellent and I have no regrets. I would definitely tell people to go ahead in case they have been in any dilemma. The OP7P is a very capable device. If I find anything strange—especially with the display / touch—I'll update this thread.

Ciao!

H1560000678575 and Krokogator like this.
  6. Darkmninya Donut Jun 9, 2019

Darkmninya, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Tried to downgrade the firmware. Not possible , in recovery mode there's no option to install via sd card and if I try to use the updater it's says can't install an older version

7. jbae1221 Cupcake Jun 9, 2019

jbae1221, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Just updated to the 9.5.7. I have noticed that the notification bar pull down is less responsive. Ghost touches are gone. Everything else seems to be ok. I did clear the cache.

8. utpalpande Eclair Jun 9, 2019

utpalpande, Jun 9, 2019 :
    That's rather strange. I haven't experienced any jitteriness on the notification pull bar so far. I'm also on 9.5.7

9. Darkmninya Donut Jun 9, 2019

10. jbae1221 Cupcake Jun 9, 2019

jbae1221, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Not really a jitter, but just less responsive. It used to be I pulled down and it was lightning fast, but now it has a slight delay. Not a deal breaker for me, just my observation.

11. H1560000678575 Donut Jun 9, 2019

H1560000678575, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Are you sure? You should try flash with TWRP not original recovery. You have to format phone and do clean flash.

12. jbae1221 Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

jbae1221, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Ok. I have noticed that I still have ghost touches, intermittently on 9.5.7. I noticed it in Google maps during navigation. It kept hitting the Google assist button. I'll try to capture next time.

13. Darkmninya Donut Jun 10, 2019

Darkmninya, Jun 10, 2019 :
    I know exactly what one plus did to avoid ghost touch. They added a delay to their touchscreen to avoid ghost touch. It seems like it's an hardware issue

14. Szityu Eclair Jun 10, 2019

Szityu, Jun 10, 2019 :
    How could an additional delay be a solution for ghost touch?

15. Oxie Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

Oxie, Jun 10, 2019 :
    If ghost touches are very short in duration (as they appear to be), then filtering out very short touches by waiting for a while after the touch begins would give the appearance of no ghost touches at the cost of a slight delay on every touch.

H1560000678575 and Szityu like this.
  16. Derple Froyo Jun 10, 2019

Derple, Jun 10, 2019 :
    As long as the delay isn't noticeable, which it doesn't appear to be (at least for me). Feels the same as previous OOS versions. I really don't understand the people complaining about it not being as sensitive to touches anymore. I literally have to purposely be as gentle as I can possibly be to make it hit or miss with registering taps, but in regular use with normal taps it's not an issue at all.

17. Oxie Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

Oxie, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Well if it weren't noticeable, then people wouldn't notice.

18. Derple Froyo Jun 10, 2019

Derple, Jun 10, 2019 :
    It could also just be a placebo effect.

G_SS_123456 and Oxie like this.
  19. jean1190 Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

jean1190, Jun 10, 2019 :
    I came here without reading first complaints about the last update. Yet I noticed the same lag issues, on Chrome for instance.

Nothing unbearable, but it's quite frustrating after you got used to perfect and smooth scrolling.

No ghost touches so far, which is nice :)

20. Krokogator Donut Jun 10, 2019

Krokogator, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Guys, I believe I know why OnePlus reduced touch sensitivity, and what 's more interesting, how

Have you seen on videos or on your devices where ghost touches are appearing? They tend to appear very close to one another in a very rapid manner. How phone interprets two inputs happening at different positions with short to no delay between them? Yes, as slide.

Now connect the dots.

Oneplus incresed the minimum distance your finger needs to travel from initial point to be registered as slide action.

They did it in case of not completely fixing ghost touches. Slides were more noticable (sudden notification panel sliding down) than touches.

Of course i might be completely wrong, but i wanted to share my thoughts.