1. PCs

76.2%
  2. Smartphones

23.8%
  1. McJader
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2021

McJader , Feb 27, 2021 :
    [​IMG]

Hello my dear friends from the OnePlus Community, this is McJader, and I'm writing this thread out of personal curiosity.

I am quite young, and as far as I remember, I always considered a mobile phone better than a laptop. I just wondered why anyone in their right minds would use a PC over a smartphone! This is because, when I gained awareness and understanding of the world, smartphones were on the rise. And how did we come here?

Telephones were originally created just for cellular communication, but as time passed by and technology advanced, they started performing functions that were intended for computers, but in a much smaller size and transformed into “smartphones''. A smartphone essentially became a pocket computer while still remaining a pocket telephone.

We didn’t have a PC in our house, so I got exposed to a lot of smartphones and a lot less PCs. Even when we got a laptop, I still preferred the portable mobile phone. I could carry it anywhere in my pocket, use it to call someone, there were also a lot of free games on the Play Store. Plus, the battery lasted so much more longer than a laptop! I also found typing much easier on a smartphone screen than on a physical keyboard.

However, last year, due to the Coronavirus induced lockdown, my studies shifted online, and so I was introduced to truly using a laptop. A big screen helps in watching long hours of classes, as well as taking notes. YouTube videos were so much fun to watch on a bigger screen, I was totally immersed in some of the games I played as an experiment. As I used the laptop more and more, my typing speed with a physical keyboard improved and I grew much more accustomed to it than before. In fact, I write long projects such as this thread on my laptop now. With the launch of the M1 chip, Apple is also pushing the battery life boundaries of a laptop. The amount of storage space a PC can have is unparalleled by a smartphone.

In spite of all this, I prefer my smartphone. I can use it while lying down, its battery lasts much longer than my current PC, the screen is big enough for me to consume videos, and for social media like Twitter and Instagram, it is the undisputed champion for me. There are video and photo editors too. And for short PPTs and projects, I can use the respective apps, which are super convenient to download and install.

Anyways, I'm aware that everyone will have a different use case and opinion on this topic, and it may be completely opposite to mine. What do you use/like more? A laptop/desktop or a smartphone? To some of the older users, have smartphones replaced PCs, in your daily usage, in some ways? Thanks for reading and I would love to know your opinion!

PS: I haven't taken into consideration the camera capabilities of a smartphone due to obvious reasons

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021

2. .Deleted_Member.
    Nougat Feb 27, 2021

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Feb 27, 2021

Dresa91 , Feb 27, 2021 :
    Hey @McJader:)
    Thanks for the interesting topic:)
    Let’s say I am divided in three parts :D:
    - PC/Laptop
    - Tablet
    - Smartphones

I am using a laptop for work and for private usage. Private usage is: media, gaming.
    I am using my tablet for browsing in the internet :)
    My smartphone is being used for taking some photos, online banking, messaging.
    That’s why I always want to have a small smartphone, not a big one :D

4. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Feb 27, 2021

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 27, 2021

dsmonteiro , Feb 27, 2021 :
    When you first reached out to me about this topic, my thought was "This person is crazy! How can a smartphone be superior to a PC?"

But then, I realized. The same way you grew up around smartphones, the same happened to me with PCs. I've been using PCs for far longer than I have mobile phones, let alone smartphones. For me, PCs are the way to go to many of the things you feel natural doing on a smartphone.

In short, I think that experience plays a bigger role than functionality these days, since both devices overlap so much.

6. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Feb 27, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Feb 27, 2021 :
    Nice thread.
    PCs are far more capable in multi tasking and productive things like video editing, rendering, coding, etc. There are limitations to what a phone can do and what a PC can do. For long work one would obviously prefer PCs to prevent eye strain and a phone can get overheated and is not comfortable to work on. I know that the clock speeds of mobile SoCs are higher than most mid rangers on paper...which is highly misleading to someone with less exposure to both...
    upload_2021-2-27_18-7-39.png
    But the resource distribution and even management of RAM with a truly fast SSD has a great and mindblowing experience and I will choose a laptop/PC over a smartphone any day.
    And phone screens are not built for entertainment....so a laptop/PC can be a media centre, gaming hub, work station, mining rig (@dsmonteiro)😏, not exactly portable, but all in one power house for completing every consumer needs
    #PCMasterRace

Now coming to the thread, great to see your interesting writing but a constructive feedback - the heading was a little misleading if you're taking just a glance. 😅

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021

7. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Feb 27, 2021 :
    Maybe, if you (all brands) can provide a docking station/system, where you can connect your smartphone to in future, it could be a powerful und useful setup.
    But for this every known „desktop/pc“ program has to be provided as an app.

8. McJader
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2021

McJader , Feb 27, 2021 :
    Probably the truth;)
    😂
    Yes, the debate of the smaller smartphone comes into view here. Thanks for reading
    But banking stuff can be done on the smartphone itself?
    Precisely why I wanted to write this thread and explain my perspective

9. dsmonteiro

Yeah.... these comparison sites are idiotic.

Frequency does not show how fast a CPU is, especially when comparing two completely different architectures. These sites just compare numbers automatically, providing totally misleading comparisons.

10. McJader
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2021

McJader , Feb 27, 2021 :
    How so? I did say "Let's Discuss";)

11. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Feb 27, 2021

Yeah finally someone who agrees with me 🤗....I have been telling my friends for so long, but they believe strictly what they see😤

12. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Feb 27, 2021 :
    Yes.
    For a device, which has to be handy, it is better to be smaller:)

well... there are several banking tan generator apps, etc, which requires a smart, that’s my use case:)

13. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Feb 27, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 27, 2021 :
    It depends on various scenarios:
    Laptop : for work related stuff & hard core gaming!
    Tablet: for media consumption
    Smartphone: due to it's mobility and it can handle many task but not work related stuff!
    I love tablet and it's functionality since I don't watch much T.V , I think in future I might switch to tablet for media consumption permanently!

14. dsmonteiro

Some OnePlus devices already have display output through type-C which accomplishes the "docking part". I don't think the problem is hardware, it's software.

I really hope Google's Fuschia OS is all about achieving through convergence between ChromeOS / Android and PC-like experience.

15. McJader
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2021

McJader , Feb 27, 2021 :
    👀👀👀

16. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Feb 27, 2021

Hm, but looking at general feedback, Docks died before they could rise
    VS would've been a lil better, but yeah I get it

Helder_DAlmeida, Dresa91 and McJader like this.
  17. McJader
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2021

McJader , Feb 27, 2021 :
    Yeah, that's the point I wanted to make, they are not competing against each other, but are meant to co-exist, atleast in the current world

18. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Feb 27, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Feb 27, 2021 :
    'Old habits die hard', i don't use trash banking apps. I love the feel of websites on laptop screen, apparently more secure.

Helder_DAlmeida and McJader like this.
  19. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Feb 27, 2021

True 🙂

Helder_DAlmeida, Dresa91 and McJader like this.
  20. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Feb 27, 2021

northbay5566, McJader and Dresa91 like this.