What do you prefer?

1. PCs

76.2%
  2. Smartphones

23.8%
  1. Devalkhatri1
    Froyo Feb 28, 2021

Devalkhatri1 , via OnePlus 8T , Feb 28, 2021 :
    I'm personally super lazy to sit and open my laptop, since everything can be easily done on mobilephones. Also since whole week i'm forced to sit in front of a stupid laptop due to work :p

McJader likes this.
  2. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Feb 28, 2021

YRJ , Feb 28, 2021 :
    A great topic, @McJader

I have asked myself this question in the past, and it turns out there is no right or wrong answers. Eventually, it all comes down to preference and convenience.

As you rightly pointed out, smartphones have gotten very powerful and these pocket sized machines are amazing at what they do. However, ther are NOT a replacement for PCs. They never will be. There are some things that you simply cannot do on a smartphone no matter how fast they are, form factor take precedence in several tasks.

Funnily enough, I still prefer a smartphone over a pc / laptop with a full sized keyboard, to type. I find myself typing faster on a smartphone keyboard all while making less typos. Even content consumption on-the-go is a lot more convent on smartphones. I can't remember the last time I used my laptop to watch a movie. While the screen is undoubtedly small, the quality of it is much better offering excellent viewing angles.

So, to conclude, these two devices have a market of their own and will continue to co-exist. There's no picking one over the other.

Just my two cents ;)

P.s. Great read! Nicely presented :)

Dresa91 and McJader like this.
  3. McJader
    Lollipop Feb 28, 2021

McJader , Feb 28, 2021 :
    Thanks for reading and for your opinion, I value it. I hope you are feeling better now. And also thanks for the initial encouragement regarding the idea;)

YRJ and Dresa91 like this.
  4. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Feb 28, 2021

YRJ , Feb 28, 2021 :
    Unfortunately, It will be a while until I recover fully but I do feel a bit better now, thank you.
    If there's something that helps me keep my sanity, while I'm sick, it's reading and writing so I'm glad you reached out :)
    Hopefully, I can be of use in the future :p

Mr. BG, McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  5. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Feb 28, 2021

Bouncer71 , Feb 28, 2021 :
    I do most of my stuff on the phone...
    Writing, Media consumption, Banking, etc..

I still have an desktop with two calibrated monitors and a laptop. But only use em when the phone screen is too small..
    Managing/ checking large amounts of photos and final editing/soft proofing before going to print..

Or when going through the SOOP...😉

McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  6. iharshjjain
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 28, 2021

iharshjjain , Feb 28, 2021 :
    Just give me an app and software to transfer whatever it's on my phone to laptop n vice versa, then I am set.

McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  7. Vijaychakrin
    Cupcake Feb 28, 2021

McJader likes this.
  8. mario_luigi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 28, 2021

mario_luigi , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Feb 28, 2021 :
    Hi @McJader thanks for the interesting thread. In my case smartphones don't replace the PC. I use pc for work and watching videos. My phone is for communication and only in emergency for job activities. I think if oneplus will implement the desktop mode, I fill replace the PC for entertainment too. And you? What do you think about that?

Dresa91 likes this.

9. McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  10. sreevnit
    Froyo Feb 28, 2021

McJader likes this.
  11. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Feb 28, 2021 :
    Laptops come first for me. I can't do CAD or accounts on a 6.7" screen. There are some tasks that are better suited for laptops/PCs because of RAM/storage/processor requirements. Smartphones are more geared towards light tasks and entertainment such as messaging, streaming video, gaming etc. It depends on your circumstances and line of work. I know of a few people who have gone further and got rid of their laptops/PCs as they have everything they need with a smartphone. I would say that it's a very risky strategy but then it's a personal choice.

12. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Mar 1, 2021

Venky61 , Mar 1, 2021 :
    PC anytime for me. Even though there are dedicated apps on phone for half of the things I do, it's soo satisfying to do that on the pc. Not even laptop, only PC.

13. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 1, 2021

McJader , Mar 1, 2021 :
    Yeah, as discussed in the thread earlier, I think OnePlus already supports a Desktop mode. But I also feel both these devices have to co-exist in the current world

Dresa91 likes this.
  14. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 1, 2021

McJader , Mar 1, 2021 :
    Hey Sumit, may I ask why this is relevant in this thread?

Mr. BG and Dresa91 like this.
  15. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Mar 1, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Mar 1, 2021 :
    Sorry for that,got carried away by rumours! I'll remember rules next time!

16. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 1, 2021

McJader , Mar 1, 2021 :
    No problems bud:D

Dresa91 and sumitMZ007 like this.
  17. rhyd1am , via OnePlus Community App , Mar 1, 2021 :
    I'm another one who's asked the same question to myself a few times. I grew up in the era before mobile phones or smartphones were even a thing (feeling old as I type this 😅). I grew up when PC's were only just begging to make their way out of offices and into people's homes, and therefore you might naturally assume that I would be swayed heavily towards the PC side.

In fact however, I definitely fit squarely in the middle. My smartphone is of course by far my most used device, but it is nowhere near a full replacement for all other things.

I use my tablet for YouTube, some Netflix etc. My smartphone for the same, but also emails, messaging, and calls (way too many calls).

However, there's definitely times that I find myself drawn to my laptop. It's just so much more comfortable and easier to do certain tasks on a laptop compared to a smartphone (perhaps this may change as foldable devices become more widespread). For me though, and perhaps it is an age thing (my sons are both definitely smartphone before PC), I'll always have a laptop around even if over time it gets used less and less.

Interesting topic @McJader 👍

P.s. Not sure how I missed this thread, hence the reply that is both late, and repeating a large amount of what has already been said 😅

Mr. BG, McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  18. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 1, 2021

McJader , Mar 1, 2021 :
    Thanks for reading!
    Everyone's opinion is unique is some way or the other, so I thank you again 😁

Dresa91 and rhyd1am like this.
  19. Sovilace , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Mar 2, 2021 :
    Take note that laying down while working will induce laziness. Of course I use my 7 pro, but most of my work is always done on PC and laptop. For some, standing up or sitting up straight while in a chair keeps you alert and awake. Humans have become far too dependant on smartphones and lose sight of their priority. Would be a shame to constantly charge your phone when you are home...

McJader likes this.
  20. ayemei
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 3, 2021

ayemei , Mar 3, 2021 :
    I still prefer to use the PC over smartphone, when possible. Somethings are just easier on a bigger screen. 😂😂

L1588192452220, Dresa91 and McJader like this.