66.7%
  2. Nah!

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 10, 2020

suhantm , May 10, 2020 :
    Untitled-2.jpg

What’s up OnePlus Fam? It’s that time of year again! Audiophiles unite!

In this post I'll be discussing the Bullets Wireless Z with a supporting comparison between them and the Bullets Wireless 2. The Bullets Wireless Z caught more of my attention than any other part of the launch event just because of the constant oohs and aahs that part of the presentation evoked, like the pricing, the improvements and etc. I was lucky enough to get them only a few weeks after the launch and straight from HQ! I’m M̶K̶B̶H̶D suhantm and I've had them for about two weeks now, here are my thoughts on the BWZ:

Just before I dive in, I'd like to thank @Zach X. for sending this over and @Carl for selecting my question in the Instagram Live Q&A just before the launch. Also for all those wondering how I got them during this time, I don’t live in India!

The Bullets Wireless Z will be referred to as the BWZ and the Bullets Wireless 2 will be referred to as the BW2 from now on.

Let’s dive right in!

How are the BWZ different from the BW2?

1. Sound Quality

The BWZ feature a single 9.2mm dynamic driver with super bass tone rather than the 3 total drivers features on the BW2.

IMG_20200503_171934__01-min.jpg

The sound quality surprised me… in a very positive way. After reading it had only a single driver compared to the multiple on the predecessor, I was a little skeptical on how they would compare in the sound quality.

These pack a P-U-N-C-H! Low end is absolutely fantastic on the BWZ and saying that, they bass definitely reached the oompf level I was hoping they would. I confirmed with the accessories team that the BWZ are also louder than the BW2, so that really helps if you would like to zone out into your own world of music :)

Since last year, the type of music I listen to has evolved with tracks that feature a lot more bass. Here’s a playlist I’ve created just in-case people want to listen to the music I’ve used to test the BWZ. Lots of different genres featured in this playlist with tracks with all over the spectrum of sound so I can see how the BWZ fares with different types of music.

So I’ve spoken about the lows, but theres one other clear distinction between the BWZ & BW2. Easiest way to describe what the BWZ lack over the BW2 is crispness. As I mentioned in my discussion of the BW2, the sound of them was very balanced and monitor-esque. To be honest though, the sound of both are SO close that it makes the BWZ seem like an absolute steal. If you constantly switch between them, you will notice the BWZ lack a little crispness.

I appreciate how modest OnePlus has been while describing the sound capabilities of the BWZ because even though they made it clear that lows have been improved, I was still surprised how much they have improved.

The highs are clear enough, the mids are well balanced, and the lows are extremely great.

2. Battery

The battery life was already a huge improvement on the BW2 over the OGs with an advertised 14 hours. This time OnePlus truly embodied the Never Settle spirit by giving us a whopping 20 Hours on the BWZ. I did not charge them even once in the first week of having them and with 2-3 hours of use every day at 100% volume + the 80% capacity out of the box, it seems like battery life is as advertised!

Now I have some exclusive info which blew my mind but also made a lot of sense, the battery capacity is EXACTLY THE SAME on the BWZ. The battery capacity is 129 mAH, I confirmed this with the accessories team. So… you may be wondering why we are getting an additional 6 hours on the BWZ? I have not been able to confirm this, but I can bet it is because of the single driver requiring a lot less power in comparison to the three in the BW2.

Capture1.PNG
    Here's the battery modules on the BWZ (Top) and the BW2 (Bottom). BWZ Feature the newer OnePlus Logo and Type

3. Connectivity

The Bluetooth Gods have continued to bless the Bullets Wireless line by continuing with Bluetooth 5.0 on the BWZ. This was especially helpful during testing because I could switch between the BWZ & BW2 with a single tap in the Bluetooth menu.

Pairing was not as great for me on the BWZ as it was when I first got the BW2, but it’s really not that hard to go into Bluetooth settings and pair it. I’m assuming Quick Pair doesn’t work because of some software on my 7 Pro. I’m sure the team will sort it out ;)

Connectivity has leveled up incredibly because of the introduction of the Low Latency Mode (which only works if you have Fnatic Mode enabled). This new feature is almost directly targeting mobile gaming enthusiasts as I had an absolute pleasure getting chicken dinners on PUBG while connected to the BWZ, there is no perceivable latency in audio while gaming!

One really peculiar but interesting thing I found is that my 7 Pro prefers connecting to the BWZ as it not only connects to them faster but prefers connecting to them over the BW2. I tested this many
    times by unclipping the buds at the exact same time, every time the BWZ would triumph.

BW (2 of 5)-min.jpg

4. Design / Build / Fit

The Ultramarine Blue is a very sexy colour, now that I’ve got my obsession for the bluest blue I’ve seen on an accessory out of the way let’s talk about the rest of the looks, build, etc.

IMG_20200503_165748__01-min.jpg

OnePlus ditched the regular red accent to go with a deep lavender color which can be seen in the photo below. They also pushed up the ring around the buds so they could connect to each other better and would probably wear down less than my BW2, picture below:

IMG_20200503_171834__01-min.jpg

These are extremely comfortable to wear, mainly because of the lighter weight. I could wear these for extended period of time with no real discomfort.

Capture-min.PNG
    It's me! Just chilling by a lake in the park with my BWZ, had to get out the first day they opened!
    My BW2 weigh about 34g, while my BWZ came in at around 28g. Theres two reasons they weigh less, 1.They are mostly made out of plastic & 2.There is only one sound driver. The 6g makes a huge difference as the neckband is no longer pulling down the buds while doing any high intensity sport or exercise. I jump rope everyday for 30-40 min, they have not fallen out even once. The BW2 on the other hand have pretty much every time I have used them.

The overall build quality is inferior when you compare them to the BW2, but I honestly do not mind it. The BWZ keeps the soft touch silicon-ish material on the neckband so it sits comfortably. The buds feature a glossy plastic on the exterior and a more matte plastic build on the interior of them. The same matte plastic can be seen on both the battery modules on the neckband.

BW (1 of 5)-min.jpg
    The BWZ still feature the same awesome in-line remote on the BW2. It seems like the center button is a tad bit wider though!

Now to answer some questions I got from some community members:

What comes in the box?
    Here’s a little top down to answer that very question

BW (1 of 1)-min.jpg
    RIP Red Pouch... you will not be missed
    Are there any Latency Problems while Gaming?
    Nope. They are terrific for gaming! If you want true zero latency, then just get the Bullets Type-C Earphones. Once again, you NEED to have FNATIC Mode on to take advantage of the low latency mode.

Are they good for working out?
    YES. Since they are the first Bullets Wireless to be IP55 Rated (so this year even the accessories got an IP rating ) and they are lighter in weight, the BWZ are sweat resistant and they won’t come out of your ear if you wear appropriately sized ear tips. They are also much better for daily use because of the IP rating.

Why do the BWZ Exist?
    I asked the team and they said they wanted to open up opportunities for people to get access to excellent products and that are positioned as a mid-range product and sit below the OG BW in the line-up. In my personal opinion I believe the BWZ are better than the OGs and sit just below the BW2 in terms of quality, which makes them an absolutely amazing product.

If you have any other questions, drop them in the replies below and I’ll try my best to address everyone!

So would I recommend buying the Bullets Wireless Z?
    Hell Yes!
    at 49$ or 2K INR they are an absolute steal. With the variety of color options and the very affordable price, these are the Bullets Wireless made for everyone.

If you have the BW2, I wouldn’t recommend getting these because they aren’t an upgrade unless you want another pair of Bullets Wireless!

My suggestions for the next Bullets Wireless:

Just make them truly wireless and price them at the BW2 price, that’s all everyone wants ;)

THANK YOU if you made it this far! If you have any questions/feedback, please feel free to reply or just message me! I’ll do my best to answer most questions.

Capture3-min.PNG

Last edited: May 10, 2020

2. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer May 10, 2020

YRJ , May 10, 2020 :
    Aha! So it's finally out :D
    A very detailed review @suhantm top work! Afaik, no one has done such an in-depth review thus far and this will definitely help potential buyers make a well informed decision! A very photogenic pair of headphones :p nice shots.

Do keep us posted on the battery performance in the long run. :)

3. suhantm

suhantm , May 10, 2020 :
    Thanks a ton @YRJ! Hope I have covered enough!

If the BW2 are anything to go off on, the battery should only reduce by about 3-4 hours within a year on the BWZ. Regardless, I'll keep everyone updated!

4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 10, 2020

G_plusone , May 10, 2020 :
    Awesome well written Review @suhantm
    Thanks

I love the Blue too :p
    Nice picture :cool: and interesting find ;)
    So no pouch For BWZ?
    Not that I heard BW2 pouch was of much Use :D

5. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 10, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , May 10, 2020 :
    awesome review!
    I have only one question, which is my bullets wireless 2 are awesome for phone calls and a large part in that is due to Qualcomm aptex (from what I understand) and since aptex isn't supported on the bwz I was wondering how they are on phone calls. (the BW2 are of the best headphones for phone calls)

6. MosheG1

the case is the dumbest thing... tbh they should have redesigned the case instead of just getting rid of it. officially they got rid of it because their statistics showed no one was using it, and they are right because the case didn't work at all. but I'm kinda disappointed they didn't just redesign the case

7. MosheG1

@suhatm a problem that plagued the BW2 was that while clipped together and running the magnets weren't strong enough to hold them together and they would constantly separate. have they upgraded the magnets or made them stick together any better?

LOKESH KUMAR JAIN and Batman360 like this.
  8. suhantm

suhantm , May 10, 2020 :
    Untitled-3.jpg
    I was gonna include this in the thread :p

Thanks man :D

9. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester May 10, 2020

Batman360 , May 10, 2020 :
    A very well written review @suhantm . Crisp and clear, to the point, love it!
    Waiting for my BWZ to arrive, I have already formed a framework of my review, detailing will be inserted when they arrive and I test them 😁
    Kudos again for the amazing review!

10. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 10, 2020

G_plusone , May 10, 2020 :
    Haha yes
    I remember that they had a limited time bigger, Better case for Red Cable Club, India .
    They probably should have used that but at the current price of BWZ I don't think OnePlus will want to include the case
    Damn so true :D
    It wasn't easy to get BW2 inside
    Great work Man :)

11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member May 10, 2020

dsmonteiro , May 10, 2020 :
    Great content @suhantm!

Just pushed the thread to Recommended. ;)

12. K1577231360579
    Cupcake May 10, 2020

LOKESH KUMAR JAIN likes this.
  13. suhantm

14. kishore.D25
    Cupcake May 10, 2020

kishore.D25 , May 10, 2020 :
    please i need this product currently it was not available to able to deliver in Vijayawada please i need this earphones

LOKESH KUMAR JAIN likes this.
  15. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer May 10, 2020

YRJ , May 10, 2020 :
    Hey there,
    The ongoing pandemic has disrupted shipping channels all over the world. Amazon, Flipkart and OnePlus will start accepting orders for the BWZ starting midnight however there are local restrictions that may delay the delivery and as much as we hate it we have to respect and comply with the regulations to better tackle the situation. I'm sure the sound of patience will be sweet ;)

16. suhantm

suhantm , May 10, 2020 :
    Good question. The BWZ do not support aptX, but they do support AAC which you can enable in the settings.

Phone and video calls over cellular, whatsapp, zoom or skype were completely fine. I took plenty of calls while on a motorbike taxi didn't have any issues. As far as I know aptXHD vs AAC just lead to minor latency differences and slightly different quality of sound, there wasn't a perceivable difference for me. I prefer the BWZ for calls just because they are louder.

I kinda wish they redesigned it as well, just ditching it out of the blue wasn't a great move but was probably for cost-cutting. I used the pouch, but for everything BUT the BW. I'm sure OnePlus could've redesigned a better pouch or case for them!

It does seem like they are using slightly stronger magnets now. The ring where the buds connect was resigned and pushed out, I personally haven't had an issue yet with them undoing themselves during a walk or a jog.

Thanks man, appreciate it! Looking forward to reading your thread when that eventually does come :) Feel free to use some of the info I got from the team but just quote this thread as the source ;)

17. vishwajeet_singh_2018
    Donut May 10, 2020

vishwajeet_singh_2018 , May 10, 2020 :
    We need to stop glorifying failed products friends. This is just another One plus Bullet 2 with better battery, updated bluetooth, color options and lighter in weight. The device fails to deliver good quality mid highs and lows. I guess One plus need to work alot in the wireless Bullet department particularly in the sound output. I wouldn't mind shelling out another 2-3k for better sound quality. Pay heed to our request team One plus and improve the sound output of the bullet wireless z

LOKESH KUMAR JAIN and MosheG1 like this.
  19. MosheG1

thanks for the answers!
    I don't think they will, they imagine the BW2 will be the Superior sound option for a more expensive price and the BWZ are the cheaper option