let's remove the audio jack [Devil's Advocate] hypothetical

1. Arjun P
    Donut May 19, 2017

Arjun P , May 19, 2017 :
    Most of good quality and low budget earphones are still wired. A good wireless earphone will cost too much. so its not time to remove audio jack.

2. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow May 19, 2017

Ceasedd , May 19, 2017 :
    How about $120?....that G6 sounds very interesting...

meatandy likes this.
  3. hotsauce
    Lollipop May 19, 2017

hotsauce , May 19, 2017 :
    No deal on the $120. $440 for the G6 + shipping. I'm trying to make op3t money.

meatandy likes this.
  4. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow May 19, 2017

Ceasedd , May 19, 2017 :
    $150 ?

5. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow May 19, 2017

Ceasedd , May 19, 2017 :
    Wait for the next OP device, don't get the 3t...

meatandy and hotsauce like this.
  6. illuminarias
    Honeycomb May 19, 2017

illuminarias , May 19, 2017 :
    I believe the biggest reason for Apple to remove the jack is this : Money.

They charge their partners a fee for their products to be "certified". There's really no other argument here.

7. Arai
    Honeycomb May 19, 2017

Arai , May 19, 2017 :
    Here's the only market friendly way to remove an audio jack:
    Supply the phone with Bluetooth 5.0 which is capable of dual throughput. Anything less than Bluetooth 5.0/single throughput is no go. If we don't accept single plug to be shared between power and audio, we won't accept single Bluetooth channel to be used for audio only.
    Bundle in a small audio Bluetooth adapter the size of a dice that you can pocket. It should not come with ear phone attached. But only audio jack, where consumer can plug in whatever earphone they fancy.
    Now for the business part: Sell an upgraded version of the Bluetooth adapter with better sound quality AND battery life that can power up fancier over the ear headphone, instead of those tiny in-ear phone.

8. Two
    Honeycomb May 19, 2017

Two , May 19, 2017 :
    The rumors of the 5 specs made me wanting to buy one to replace my aging OnePlus One. But if there's no audio jack on the 5, then I won't even consider buying it.

I like to plug my audiophile headphones in my OnePlus One anytime I want and that's not going to change.

Now about the jack/no jack debate:

Good headphones always use the jack connector, because there isn't anything better (except balanced XLR).

There is no such thing as wireless audiophile headphones. Their signal is most of the time altered (compression) and their integrated amplifier can't compare with a dedicated headphone amplifier.

USB-C to jack adapters are rubbish because that's one more thing that you have to carry arround and that you cannot find when you need it.

It's also a scam to pretend that the sound quality will improve because it's digital. What you hear is not digital, it's analog, and so there has to be a DAC somewhere. If it's not in your phone then it's either in the adapter or in the headphones, instead of in the phone. Therefore it cannot improve the sound quality. Actually it may even decrease the quality as the music has to be decoded by the phone, converted into a digital stream with proprietary format (can't be lossless), then converted back into analog (also can't be lossless). Instead of decoding the music and converting it to analog.

It does not take a significant amount of space in the phone and is not something expensive either. It does not help to reduce the thickness of the phone because the OP3T is one of the thinnest phone in the world and it still has a jack.

So i'm saying that removing the jack from a phone is plain stupid, and that the one who believe the jack has to go are too.

9. Nabil609
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 19, 2017

Nabil609 , May 19, 2017 :
    was that sarcasm??? lol

sfomin likes this.
  10. Deactivated User
    May 19, 2017

11. guanyu210379
    Jelly Bean May 19, 2017

guanyu210379 , May 19, 2017 :
    Reasons, why the headphone jack is removed by certain manufacturers:
    - Less component means less production costs. Removing headphone jack make sense for the manufaturer.
    - More and more people start to move away from cable for mobile usages, I am for example have been using only bluetooth headphones (ZX770bn and MDR100abn) since 2 years.
    - In order to make thinner phone, this could be also a reason.

If the majority like this decision? This is another problem and some manufacturers don't give a d*mn. cough cough Apple

12. sfomin
    Nougat May 19, 2017

sfomin , May 19, 2017 :
    nope [​IMG] but i am only speaking for myself.

13. Nabil609

hmmm interesting...so how r u planning to solve the whole quality audio without headphone jack problem then? I'm just curious to know...

sfomin likes this.
  14. sfomin
    Nougat May 19, 2017

sfomin , May 19, 2017 :
    got no time for no quality audio thing. regular audio is fine, via bluetooth [​IMG]

15. Nabil609

that's not the answer I was expecting haha

sfomin likes this.
  16. sfomin
    Nougat May 19, 2017

sfomin , May 19, 2017 :
    i listen to talk shows mostly [​IMG] you know technology, innovations, cars etc. i could care less if the guy talks in HD or not [​IMG]

17. StinkySocky

StinkySocky , May 19, 2017 :
    If the audio jack should be removed because it's old, then why do we have phones in general? Or cars? Or homes? Or food?

18. sfomin
    Nougat May 19, 2017

sfomin , May 19, 2017 :
    dont you nit pick on my post now. it has to be outdated AND useless [​IMG]
    and by the way, cars, homes and even food is constantly being upgraded. audio jack, not so much [​IMG]

19. Nithin_Joseph

Nithin_Joseph , May 19, 2017 :
    Seconded!

20. Two
    Honeycomb May 20, 2017

Two , May 20, 2017 :
    The problem with removing the jack is that there isn't any BETTER alternative.
    Bluetooth is not better, because the sound is compressed (OnePlus does not support APTX).
    And having to have an adapter to plug a pair of headphones is simply not convenient.
    Also come on, about the price of the jack, it's probably just 1$ if not less in the total price of the phone!

brunoavellar likes this.