Let's talk about our camera experience on custom ROMs

1. PCesar.Cercal KitKat Mar 6, 2018

f00tbaLL likes this.
  2. PCesar.Cercal KitKat Mar 6, 2018

PCesar.Cercal, Mar 6, 2018 :
    oneplus does not care about op3 users, for them only op5 and op6 now. see update now we do not have

f00tbaLL and Sockerle like this.
  3. nursoda Froyo Mar 13, 2018

nursoda, Mar 13, 2018 :
    I understand that IP is an issue.
    For me, openness is, too.

I may be mistaken, but isn't it possible to divide camera source in the part [1] that is necessary to be able to use 3rd party camera apps (HAL, like spherical or color corrections that directly result from the hardware: lens, sensor, etc.) and the part [2] that consists of the OP camera features (which I consider to contain the major IP part)?

If so, please release part [1] as source, too. Part [2] as blob is fine.

f00tbaLL likes this.
  4. astralbee Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 1, 2018

astralbee, Apr 1, 2018 :
    I think it's short for Builder Library OBject?

Basically it's a compiled piece of code that can be implemented into your own android build. Think of it a bit like a hardware 'driver' for Windows, it's compiled by the manufacturer but it integrates into the OS. I'm being analogous rather than using the correct terminology.

Android is open source, so anyone can pick it apart, improve on it, compile it. Oneplus actively try to appeal to people who want to do this but they don't want to release their own software open source for rivals to reverse engineer, so blobs are the answer.

keithgpowell likes this.
  5. 0slawek Jelly Bean Apr 8, 2018

0slawek, Apr 8, 2018 :
    Imagine you working on a thing for a year called "A", you spent a lot of time doing this until finally released it. People liked finished "A" but your ambitions didn't let you stop so you keep upgrading and polishing your project. You kept doing it but after couple months you realize that you can make better, smoother project called "B". So you make it, release and keep polishing your new "B", you don't really care about project "A" because you actually did what you could..

Even if you paid "a lot" for your op3 / op3t don't expect them to update it every month, op3/3t actually got more than 20 stable build updates fixing every possible bug or an issue, you got reliable, fast and beautiful device what else do you need?

Since I've been using more than 5 op3/3t devices I can admit that none of them had issues like battery drain so I won't belive it needs to be repaired, it is just lack of knowleadge about android OS and lack of inhibition

6. I1553237671634 Froyo Mar 22, 2019