Let's talk about our camera experience on custom ROMs

1. HFidalgo
    Gingerbread Dec 2, 2016

HFidalgo , Dec 2, 2016 :
    First thing must come first: thank you OnePlus for bringing this up to discussion. Keeping what once has been promised starts to be one of the big and most important steps an OEM can take to please their customers, granting them the most exclusive experience with the products they buy.

Thumbs up for that!

For the sake of the openness you've grown us accustomed to, is my opinion that you should release the blobs for the camera.

And it could not end just there: remember the initiative you took back in the day, when you were preparing OP3's launching, by choosing some influential reviewers and land on their laps your brand new product? Well, you could do the same, this time with some of the best developers out there.

Maybe creating a dedicated communication channel with your own development team and achieve the best possible implementation without hurting your business.

Would this be a win-win situation? I'm confident you'll find a way to make it that way!

Cheers!

2. cezarvrabie
    Jelly Bean Dec 2, 2016

cezarvrabie , Dec 2, 2016 :
    The best option IMO would be to release these camera blobs as they are now, and if possible release something else in the future that gives both quality and speed.

3. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Dec 2, 2016

Mr. BG , Dec 2, 2016 :
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built Noahs' ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Natakranta, Swatpt, otto2 and 5 others like this.
  4. mrbright25
    Honeycomb Dec 2, 2016

otto2 likes this.
  5. filipe.aparicio
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 2, 2016

filipe.aparicio , Dec 2, 2016 :
    How much slower are we talking though? I love oxygenOS and don't plan on flashing any other ROMs for now, so if by "slower" you mean 1 second shutter response for example, I don't think the trade-off is worth it.

I'm referring to my personal situation, obviously this would not be the case for many other users.

Also, the camera software still needs a lot of polishing. We need an update in performance (blurry images due to slow shutter speeds on auto for example), so I would personally be happier to see this before you release the blobs.

6. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Dec 2, 2016

cohaolain , Dec 2, 2016 :
    Would like them to be released. The balance between a good user experience and a slow one are to be debated. But in the end, that would be up to the developer and the end user. They should be able to choose in my opinion, and there's no harm in giving more options :)
    I'm for releasing them :D

otto2 likes this.
  7. Tobikage
    Nougat Dec 2, 2016

Tobikage , Dec 2, 2016 :
    The Titanic was real. :rolleyes:

Noah's Ark is like official Nougat on the OPX

8. matssa
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 2, 2016

matssa , Dec 2, 2016 :
    @Bradon H can you please put a poll here? It would be a lot easier to follow the thread :) For example 1 for release, 2 for no release, 3 for other solution.

For me, a release would be perfect. Ok, the speed will be lower, but we can live with that. Furthermore, you will be the one company that shares this kind of info, which will increase your notoriety, which is kinda your goal by launching the 1+3 in VR style, with your communication policy, etc...

A little christmas gift could be nice, or when you will release the stable build of Nougat for the 1+3 :) Food for thought ;)

otto2 likes this.
  9. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Dec 2, 2016

Mr. BG , Dec 2, 2016 :
    That's beside the point and you know it...

Ooh Ninja stuff :p

meatandy and Tobikage like this.
  10. Bloodyme
    Eclair Dec 2, 2016

11. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 2, 2016

Ceasedd , Dec 2, 2016 :
    Yes please.

meatandy likes this.
  12. mj_diamond
    Gingerbread Dec 2, 2016

mj_diamond , Dec 2, 2016 :
    i think you should have put a poll in this thread

Anyway, i think releasing the blobs is the way to go, its a win-win for you and us, you get more sales (being the only company that release this for custom ROMs, as an user pointed out) and we get to fully use the camera in our developments

I't would be interesting to know how much of a delay are we talking about, 0.2sec? 0.5? 1? ... still i think you should release it, nobody is gonna blame you and say "man! this camera is slow" if they are using third party ROMs and you already made it clear that the performance wouldn't be the same

Thank you for hearing us!

13. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 2, 2016

Dunnow , Dec 2, 2016 :
    how about no compromises?

You give the blobs already and KEEP searching for the better solution?

Because as far as I know, no one cares about you "IP", people here cares about what they've paid for, and if I recall properly, that was a community driven compromise that so far, you've not met very good.

Also, why are you forgetting to mention the OPT and OPX in there?

oh BTW, you could also be pretty clear to devs on WHERE could they code stuff to make things go faster. I mean... one thing is "protecting your code" and another is making custom roms unusable for lack of guidance... just like happened with the OPT, right?

@Mr. BG @malidan

14. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Dec 2, 2016

theshinybeast , Dec 2, 2016 :
    Erm, the Titanic analogy might not be the best one really...

adleron likes this.
  15. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Dec 2, 2016

Mr. BG , Dec 2, 2016 :
    I know, I liked it exactly because of that...

adleron, Tobikage and theshinybeast like this.
  16. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Dec 2, 2016

Tobikage and theshinybeast like this.
  17. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 2, 2016

Dunnow , Dec 2, 2016 :
    Sorry, I tagged you without knowing you were already here. I assumed you were interested in this, as seems that the future of the X is in the custom rom community

18. vicusbass
    Honeycomb Dec 2, 2016

19. thecursedchild
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2016

thecursedchild , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Capturing delay doesn't matter if we can get the same processed quality as that of OOS.The only thing that holds users from trying custom ROMs is the mediocre camera quality.

I vote to release the blobs!

Natakranta and LELBOT like this.
  20. ashoktvm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2016

tortoise14 likes this.