Let's talk about our camera experience on custom ROMs

1. tortoise14
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2016

2. Carl
    Co-founder Staff Member Dec 3, 2016

Carl , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Alright we'll work on this.

Do know that this is way beyond industry norm and complaining about speed after we release the code will make us take two steps back in openness.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

3. G_islam_alahdab_YuTO
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

G_islam_alahdab_YuTO , Dec 3, 2016 :
    I've been a fan of Sony Xperia for a loooooong time .... But the most important reason for me to go with OnePlus (op3) is, that it is the only company listening to Their customers.
    Yes Please release the blobs

4. thechints
    Froyo Dec 3, 2016

thechints , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Definitely release. Optimisation will be custom ROMs issue. But making available sound should be OnePlus' priority.

After all, being open and dev friendly is one of the cornerstones of the company. Actually, should have been released long ago. Likewise, for kernel sources for OpenBeta builds.

5. Carl
    Co-founder Staff Member Dec 3, 2016

jlasensiofi, jpswer and LELBOT like this.
  6. rkrohan
    Donut Dec 3, 2016

rkrohan , Dec 3, 2016 :
    The quality is all that we need , a slightly slower experience giving lot better quality seems like a pretty fair trade-off. So, if you could release the blobs, it would be really helpful.

Deactivated User and Tobikage like this.
  7. aakashjhaveri
    Lollipop Dec 3, 2016

8. LELBOT
    Donut Dec 3, 2016

LELBOT , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Np, as sultanxda latest build has achieved 75-80% quality same as oos. Everyone knows how he managed to achieve 1080p and 2k recording on front cam also excellent quality with his custom hal on OnePlus One.

IMO, if you release blobs he will again achieve best quality and speed with his sultans magic.
    You have given devs so much to tinker on launch day.
    This will be again a good and supportive step to oneplus community.
    #sultanXDA

otto2 likes this.
  9. saayuj
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

saayuj , Dec 3, 2016 :
    We can happily compromise 'speed' for better picture quality. You guys are DOPE. No Smartphone company listens to customers as how you do. Do release it & thank you!

10. Tobikage
    Nougat Dec 3, 2016

Tobikage , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Prepare to be disappointed...coz that'll happen anyway. People will always find new things to complain about. :rolleyes:

11. thechints
    Froyo Dec 3, 2016

Appreciate the candidness. There will always be people who will find faults out of nothing and look for trivialest thing to complain about.

OP should release and update maximum sources that it can, of course while making sure that the IP is protected.

People may and will complain about speed or other things. Shouldn't disuade OP as an organisation to release blobs.

After all, we too grumbled about gifts we received from our parents. And yet, they never stopped giving.

Kenrick, otto2 and LELBOT like this.
  12. thechints
    Froyo Dec 3, 2016

Ha ha ha. Nice spot. I am just gonna blame it on SwiftKey.

Just to clarify, should it's used in a 'morally right thing to do' context here. Not to be confused with the usage and aggressiveness of 'must'.

:)

13. whodatboi
    KitKat Dec 3, 2016

whodatboi , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Thank you! Releasing the camera blobs will help the rom devs so much in camera quality. Really appreciate the effort OnePlus is putting into this.

Definitely better than other cell phone companies.....just putting that out there.

otto2 likes this.
  14. mido25
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2016

mido25 , Dec 3, 2016 :
    As someone said here, there will be someone who always complains about something. That should not stop Oneplus from their transparent nature going forward. You did your part. Now it's up to custom Rom devs to find a way to improve the camera speed. If users are not happy with speed, custom Roms can revert and can continue with comparatively low quality cam but with 'speed'.

Off topic: Steve kondik was proudly saying about your gift in an open forum. You still keep a good relationship with Steve even after all the mess happened in bacon days(hope you heard the news that he's no more with Cyanogen)

Kenrick and otto2 like this.
  15. parth5490
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

16. itssandeepd
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2016

itssandeepd , Dec 3, 2016 :
    release the damn blobs, we haven't bought your device to stick with your slow oxygen updates.

obiwan+, Swatpt and Dunnow like this.
  17. abhi619007
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

abhi619007 , Dec 3, 2016 :
    My honest opinion op should release the camera blobs, that's why i went for oneplus in the first place. Further let the users and developers decide to use that or not. As for me as long as i get the quality i don't care about the speeds.

18. Fraser
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2016

Fraser , Dec 3, 2016 :
    So let me get this straight. As of today, custom roms offer a poor user experience because of missing camera blobs. Camera blobs would improve that experience. If releasing the blobs can improve the situation, and OnePlus is obsessive about great experiences, there's only one thing to do.

What's there to debate about? Let's get some blobs cooking.

injectx likes this.
  19. Vector
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2016

Vector , Dec 3, 2016 :
    This is a great topic of discussion, and I am glad that blobs are being considered for release. My personal feelings agree with you that protecting intellectual IP is number one, so a release of blobs even while slowing the speed a little is the best option to satisfy both issues, giving the power of choice to users.

20. azeez4901
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2016

azeez4901 , Dec 3, 2016 :
    I am pretty sure I've gotten to read this some time back and that oxygen camera will be available from play store etc. So m kinda mixed up.. now let's see OoS support and custom ROM support. Statistics agree that the major contribution to opo success was custom ROMs. The development of oppo camera blobs, cam apps specific for its architecture and notable work by sultanXDA were great or perhaps the most important developments that took place alongside the custom ROMs development. M all for releasing the blobs which would give the current devs some extra power on device. And thank u for considering these options given the hard work you put into it. The users Want it to be a community driven project.